Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problem with 445...please help.

I've built a few lasers, and have never had this happen.
I bought a kit from flaminpyro(excellent work, flamin:)) and, excited to see the blue light, put it together. I didn't rush or anything; i didn't want to make any mistakes. So i shorted the driver, set the current at 1.2 A, put my goggles on, and turned it on.
I saw nothing. i took the goggles off, and noticed there was a VERY faint blue light coming from the diode.(ill post pics if you guys would like.) i took the lens off, and noticed the output looked like a normal diode's output. i checked and rechecked my connections; they were all solid. i turned the pot all the way down, and still saw that blue light. same brightness and everything.
i changed batteries. 4 times. same output. i turned the pot back to 1A. same. also, it was never bright. it has always been dim from the start. it wasnt bright, then dim. just dim.
so id like to know whats going on...ive heard of these diodes surviving hell and back, and the output looks like an average raw laser output. do i have a faulty driver? dead diode? i checked my connections, and theyre all very solid.
please help.

Scott:j

Last edited:

Sorry, shouldve explained better. Sometimes there is some electricity in the driver, so you need to connect the diode + and - of the driver to get rid of that electricity. At least, that's what I've been told.

jayrob

Sorry, shouldve explained better. Sometimes there is some electricity in the driver, so you need to connect the diode + and - of the driver to get rid of that electricity. At least, that's what I've been told.

Not the diode...

After you set current, it's best to remove the battery, and short the two driver leads together just to make absolutely sure that the cap is discharged.

Then connect the diode...

P.S. A picture of what driver you have, and a close up of your connections may help us to see if there is a wrong connection or something...

Sorry, that's what I meant. I just couldn't find a way to explain other than "diode + and -of the driver."

And yes, I'll upload pictures of the driver, and diode raw output.
Thanks,
Scott

Have you tryed a different diode with that driver or a different driver with that diode ?

oic0

So with a test load the driver does make the proper current?

well, i cant find my camera atm... but when i turn the pot all the way up, the laser does not get brighter. and when i turn it all the way down, the laser does not turn off. shouldn't the laser turn off if i set the pot at its lowest? also, i dont have the money to buy another flex, so would a rkcstr driver at max setting be unhealthy for the driver?
also, the diode looks like an average diode output, but there is a square in the middle. would anyone care to run a 445 at below the lasing threshold and see if theres a square in the very middle?...this will tell me if my diodes dead or if its my driver.
thanks,
Scott

Benm

Below treshold the output isn't square (at least with a lens installed) either. It produces a dim, roundish dot without any speckle, as you would expect. I could take a picture below treshold without a lens if that would be of any help.

But try measuring current between driver and diode first, so we know that is in proper order.

YESSSSS. I got it working:) I disassembled it completely, and reassembled it. My diode seems to have a really roundish dot, however.
Also, it pulses after a few seconds. This is because the driver is overheating, right? I'm picking up some arctic silver soon.

Your battery could be dead. Try another battery or recharge the one you have. If your not using rechargeables then it could simply be that your battery cannot supply the current needed.

YESSSSS. I got it working:) I disassembled it completely, and reassembled it. My diode seems to have a really roundish dot, however.
Also, it pulses after a few seconds. This is because the driver is overheating, right? I'm picking up some arctic silver soon.