Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pretty sure I have the most awesome neighbor . . .

it's a long story and I'm still uploading the pics and videos . . .

I knew my neighbor was a bad ass machinist but I didn't really know how bad ass until this evening . . .

Amazing stuff as he found the "actual center" of this i7 heatsink . . .

Me - "So what do you do?"
Him - "I build prototype medical robots . . ."

hmmm . . . :)

2010-07-17%2011.49.55.jpg

Then proceeded to bore a 11.99(5) mm hole, "in the exact middle" for my AixiZ/DrLava/Whatever module . . . finger press tight about 5 mm reveal . . .

2010-07-19%2019.41.46.jpg
Hmmmmm...those diodes look familiar?? what fine fellow sent them to you??

Uh, it's a stock intel E29477-002 socket 1366 heatsink.

Though personally I prefer these.

While they don't have copper core's, they cost 1/4 what the above heatsinks do.. A whopping $3.18 in quantity.. which is why I bought 20 and my supplier has a few thousand in stock. :D

I can get the above intel 1366 heatsinks, as well as intel 775 ones that have a lower fin density fairly cheap as well, but like I said, not nearly as cheap as these aluminum ones.

Expect to see them popping up in the BST bored for aixiz modules as soon as my bag of modules actually gets here.

IMG_0230.jpg

Though for someone wanting to go all out, i'd probably suggest this.

E31964-001-soft.jpg

Though with copper fins, it's not going to be machinable, diameter wise.

It's the i7 extreme stock heatsink. The next step up from the one boscoj is using.
I don't think the one boscoj has there is a copper center either--afaik it is Al.

Exerd

From a heat transfer standpoint that would be better, especially if the diode was pressed in with some indium foil. However, that's fairly complex machining to ask your neighbor to do for free. ;) Plus in general, I don't think most people really want to have their diodes permanently tied up in a build, even if they do end up never taking them apart. Boring a hole for an aixiz module is fairly quick and simple. Plus you can always pull the module out again and use it in something else without destroying the diode in it.

I suppose you aren't familiar with the $15 diode presses sold at the forum. :yh:

I too wondered how diodes were easily removed, then I found out, they can be removed quite easily.

Asherz

That guy sounds like a God :p I love perfectionists, and it bugs me when I have to see someone working and doesn't take any pride in what they do, he obviously does.

I have the same heatsink here, and two other variations and I tried to drill one out a long time ago, but my power drill was not upto the job, and not having oil didn't help.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/advice-custom-cpu-heatsink-26335.html

That was from one of my older and larger heatsinks with a copper core.

hmm finding center of a workpiece on a lathe is one of the first things you are taught in the beginning lathe course at techshop.ws in the sfo bay area(not to detract from your friends abilities(if he even used a lathe)). For those needing machining assistance / instruction/ access to equipment I can't recommend any other place other than techshop...(they are dangerous experiment friendly ;)(think mythbusters folks)(one of them is the founder).

A high powered laser safety/assembly course would be right up their alley if someone wanted to teach it.

boscoj

My ghetto hackup/mockup is coming along nicely . . . should fit nicely into a d-cell Mag Lite . . .

P1000101.JPG

P1000102.JPG

Exerd

I could see that head getting bashed off the front on accident pretty easily.

boscoj

all that excess will be trimmed to fit inside the mag lite lens assy . . .

along with this roughly d-cell size fan I hacked up . . .

2010-07-21%2015.17.45.jpg

More shots showing the various fans hacked up and the sanding I had to do to make the "large end" of the Aixiz module smaller . . .

P1000105.JPG

Can see the score marks in the brass and the nice boring tool marks inside the copper sink . . .

P1000106.JPG

I could see that head getting bashed off the front on accident pretty easily.

Last edited:
WOW That is a solid copper core-- that should draw the heat off nicely,,
One question(lol)Is that coffee cup defying gravity??

Sharp photos !!

gotta love continiuos duty!! What current do you have mind for that, 445 Jeff? the fan should help keep the driver cool too.

(ps your glass lenses ship out Thursday am)thnx--hak

boscoj

Thanx mang . . . I did rep you for your excellent service didn't I?

Dunno about current, have a v5 flexdrive set at 412mA-1.5A driven by (4) 4600 mah sub-c 1.2V NiMh . . . 4.8V . . .

Haven't really dug around enough to find out what voltage these diodes are supposed to run at . . .

Dunno if I posted his pic, I thought I was grabbing a beer and chipped a tooth . . . ;)

P1000093.JPG

WOW That is a solid copper core-- that should draw the heat off nicely,,
One question(lol)Is that coffee cup defying gravity??

Sharp photos !!

gotta love continiuos duty!! What current do you have mind for that, 445 Jeff? the fan should help keep the driver cool too.

(ps your glass lenses ship out Thursday am)thnx--hak