Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Premium +175mW Green Laser just ordered from Optotronics.com

BobMc

Best wishes with your purchase. Looking forward to reading your review. With beam shots! :)

Reactions: GSS

GSS

I'm sorry if you felt slighted, but it does look amazingly like the cheap Chinese pens. That doesn't mean they are of the same quality, but anyone here can tell you they look identical. If you are using rechargeable AAA size batteries, make sure they aren't the Li-ion ones or you will burn your laser out. They need to be 1.5 VDC, not 3.6 or 4.2 VDC.
If Slowburn is talking about the rechargable AAA's at 1.2V's that should be an issue and wondering if it would even work at 2.4V total..?
Optotronic's also adds a fuse sensor that blows when running the 3.7 to 4.2V battey's. It won't stop the laser from working but he uses it for warrentee issue's. Jack the owner mentioned the high power Energizers AAA's that can do 1.8V shouldn't blow the fuse but hasn't seen gains with output using them.
Slowburn i'm not sure how you posted the spec's that show 90sec on/ 30sec off but Opto claims only 60 sec on every pointer that's 100mw's and up..

Paul, true that it's a typical pen style but when you feel it in hand it just doesn't feel the same..I realize it's a stupid way of saying it with no tech talk to back up:whistle:
I can say the host battery tube threading doesn't match any ebay ones and it seems to be made of brass? Haven't used it in a while so I have to look again.
Maby Bowtie can explain it better?
Paul, if it wasn't for this weather and us living on the opposite ends of the US, on top the fragile nature of these DPSS's I would consider sending my 75mw unit for you to check out. It would be a $115 gamble:undecided:

Edit: Well the battery tube isn't brass like I thought and found a ebay pointer tube that matches up..Does definitly feel a little heavier up front towards the module, I again can't say why as the ebay comparison has the all brass module and not the cheaper aluminum ones with the all plastic tube lens thing:eek:
They did go out of their way to make the clip line up with the momentary button:crackup:

Last edited:
Best wishes with your purchase. Looking forward to reading your review. With beam shots! :)
Thanks.
I will make a video, too.
Not sure if this site will embed a Dailymotion or Vimeo vid...
I see YouTube vids on here, but I'm not a fan of Gmail or YouTube.
I can always post the link to the Dailymotion or Vimeo vid.

@GSS

Peter, I would gladly take a look at your laser, but as you said, the distance would make it a gamble. What is it doing that concerns you? Is it dead? Or, some other problem. You are correct that the duty cycle for these should be no longer than 60 seconds on, and at least that amount of time off. Hope all is well with you. :yh:

Reactions: GSS

GSS

@GSS

Peter, I would gladly take a look at your laser, but as you said, the distance would make it a gamble. What is it doing that concerns you? Is it dead? Or, some other problem. You are correct that the duty cycle for these should be no longer than 60 seconds on, and at least that amount of time off. Hope all is well with you. :yh:
Hi Paul,
oh no there's nothing wrong "knock on wood":whistle: but thanks bud.
It's for just if your curious to what these Opto pens are about.

Opto is certainly quality, I'm eager to see your report. That is a lot of power in a pen form, I once had a 100 mw China pen, my first laser but liked watching the beam too much and overheated running too long, RIP.

Opto is certainly quality, I'm eager to see your report. That is a lot of power in a pen form, I once had a 100 mw China pen, my first laser but liked watching the beam too much and overheated running too long, RIP.
Optotronics has a solid rep, and I'm looking forward to test their product.
Shame that their RPL 473nm Portable Blue Lasers are all "out of stock."
175mW is a lot of power for a pen laser, and I will stick closely to the duty cycle.
It's about 10 degrees in NYC, and cold indoors; so I don't expect peak performance from the pen, and will factor that into my review.

Hi Paul,
oh no there's nothing wrong "knock on wood":whistle: but thanks bud.
It's for just if your curious to what these Opto pens are about.

That would be great, Peter. But, it is best if it remains with you. I'd never forgive myself if something happened to it in transit. :thanks:

Man id love to recommend there laser pens but I have had the worst experience with them. Like 4 or 5 years ago I had bought like 3 of them and they all broke with in weeks of getting them. One of them had an esd. Another one stayed at max power for 10 seconds then dropped a lot and the other one had bad mode hopping and was very unstable. The one with the esd before it broke the whole laser circuit board came lose and was spining inside the laser. Due to this spinning the foam peice around the spring came out and then the esd happened. i contacted Jack and he said becuase the foam was removed my warranty was voided. I tryed to tell him it came out on its own but he dident want to here it. So I got screwed out of $200. Will never order from optotronics ever again. I never ran over duty cycle and I always tryed to treat them with care. Many other members here have had great success with these lasers so maybe my 3 were a fuke occurrence Idk.

Huh! Well if I ever thought of buying from them before this, that was enough to scare me away, Alex. I have so many 532nm lasers from 50 mW all the way up to 1350 mW. I certainly don't need any more. But, considering how you were treated, I wouldn't buy a paper clip from them now.