Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Powering A140 Diode in 18650 Kit with Alternate Battery

I don't yet have access to an 18650, but I've got a few Lithium TL-5101 3.6v batteries - could I use those to power it for a moment or two? The voltage is similar, so I thought it may be a possibility. I just want to know if the laser is working - is there risk involved with using this alternate battery for a short time to test the laser?

Thanks

daguin

I don't yet have access to an 18650, but I've got a few Lithium TL-5101 3.6v batteries - could I use those to power it for a moment or two? The voltage is similar, so I thought it may be a possibility. I just want to know if the laser is working - is there risk involved with using this alternate battery for a short time to test the laser?

Thanks

As long as the battery is within the limits of your driver, it will be fine. The only problems I could see would be if the battery could not sustain the current needed. Then it would drop out of regulation quickly

You ARE using a driver, yes?

Peace,
dave

cd520

Use the Edit and Multiquote buttons

yes you could use "one" 5101. i believe those things are rated at what 900mah, so it would last too long.

and good point on the current draw limits of the battery...

After a quick search those are low current long life batteries such as "memory backup" style. The specs I found were a max 1 sec. pulse current capability of 50mA.

Last edited:
As long as the battery is within the limits of your driver, it will be fine. The only problems I could see would be if the battery could not sustain the current needed. Then it would drop out of regulation quickly

You ARE using a driver, yes?

Peace,
dave

Yes I am using a microboost driver at set at 900mA.

If it "dropped out of regulation" (I'm not quite sure what that means), would there be any negative affects to my build?

I don't expect any level performance, I just want to be able to power it for a second, then turn it off without breaking anything - If I see blue light, then I'm happy =P.

pHeneX

It shouldnt harm your diode or driver when your battery can't deliver the current needed. It just starts to flicker :p

So yes, if you built it correctly you can turn it on and see blue light.
But don't look in it and wear your goggles :)

daguin

If it "dropped out of regulation" (I'm not quite sure what that means), would there be any negative affects to my build?

If the power source cannot deliver the needed voltage or current, the output will dim, flicker, blink, and/or just go out

Peace,
dave

I just realized it probably wouldn't work, cd520 said I could only use 1, and if I used one it would not be long enough to reach the spring in the back - the battery cavity in the 18650 host is much to large.

pHeneX, if I wore my goggles, I wouldn't be able to see the light. I had planned on going outside and shooting it at the grass a good distance away. Is that not a good idea?

If I wore my OD 7+ goggles, I would be able to see the dot under normal circumstances, I presume, but if the light were flickering, I may not be able to see anything.

I just realized it probably wouldn't work, cd520 said I could only use 1, and if I used one it would not be long enough to reach the spring in the back - the battery cavity in the 18650 host is much to large.

Wad up some aluminum foil and stick it between the tail cap and the battery.

Wad up some aluminum foil and stick it between the tail cap and the battery.

Or use a rare earth magnet to fill the space.

Peace,
dave

Great ideas both, I'll see what if I can find any rare earth magnets at the lab today, and if not I'll just spring for foil.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Tried it with the aluminum foil, and the laser did not work. So I either screwed something up in the build, or the battery isn't good enough to power it. I guess we'll know when the 18650 comes in.

Last edited:
For now, I'd blame the battery.

You could use 3 NiMH in series, but the best bet is patience. 18650 will almost definitely work.

Well also make sure your ball-o-foil isn't conducting where it shouldn't be. Wrap it in paper or something so that it doesn't touch the sides.

cd520

Re: Use the Edit and Multiquote buttons

After a quick search those are low current long life batteries such as "memory backup" style. The specs I found were a max 1 sec. pulse current capability of 50mA.

I guess no one read this. It wouldnt power up with 50mA.

Re: Use the Edit and Multiquote buttons

For now, I'd blame the battery.

You could use 3 NiMH in series, but the best bet is patience. 18650 will almost definitely work.

When you say Nimh, do you just mean AA? Would 3 AA's actually power this thing? (I can be patient if I need too, but the suspense is killing me =P

Well also make sure your ball-o-foil isn't conducting where it shouldn't be. Wrap it in paper or something so that it doesn't touch the sides.

I didn't do that, thanks for the tip.

I guess no one read this. It wouldnt power up with 50mA.

I read that, just wasn't aware of what it meant in terms of my laser. I sortof guessed that it meant the battery wasn't powerful enough, which is why I stated one of the possibilities it didn't work as "the battery isn't good enough to power it."

Thanks for adding that though, now I feel alot better >.>

Thanks all!

It's alive!

Terrible divergence, but it's working. I'm working on getting the focus adjusted - it looks like this laser is going to be mostly for burning, as it gets severly out of focus quickly. I'm not sure how to focus it to infinity, as I've heard done. Any comments on that?

Ash

It's alive!

Terrible divergence, but it's working. I'm working on getting the focus adjusted - it looks like this laser is going to be mostly for burning, as it gets severly out of focus quickly. I'm not sure how to focus it to infinity, as I've heard done. Any comments on that?
Turn the lens so you get the smallest possible dot at the furthest distance possible.
And, to (possibly) fix your lens-out-of focus "quickly" problem, use a little pipe-thread (teflon) tape on the threads for a tighter fit so you can't knock it out of focus.