Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Powerful 532nm At an Affordable Price!

Thanks, is it safe to shine it without an IR filter or goggles? (Stars, across room)

Nute

I wouldn't recommend that you purchase ANY laser without the proper safety eye wear for the particular wavelength in question, as NO laser is completely eye safe.

Pman

Remember that he is trying to light a match with infinite focus which makes all the difference.

So something like lighting a match or pointing at stars would require goggles? Another member said commom sense is enough, no goggles needed at around 50mW. Also, if,there are people surrounding me, they would EACH need goggles too!?

diachi

Thanks, is it safe to shine it without an IR filter or goggles? (Stars, across room)

You'll probably be OK - It's more of an issue if you are burning things. Just be careful of reflections from various surfaces, windows, shiny things! If you are outside then keep an eye out for aircraft, you don't want to blind the pilot and you don't want the RCMP showing up at your door because an aircraft got lasered!

At 50mW common sense is enough, but it's worth having goggles anyway! Just don't do anything stupid and be very careful around friends, explain to them the dangers!

Last edited:
Appreciate it! I've just never seen anyone with goggles before other than in a science lab. Gonna look goofy because the beam won't come anywhere near my eye unless as you said, I shine it at a reflective surface. Also, nearby people will still be at risk because not everyone has goggles.

Do u all buy goggles for potential spectators/friends as well?

diachi

Appreciate it! I've just never seen anyone with goggles before other than in a science lab. Gonna look goofy because the beam won't come anywhere near my eye unless as you said, I shine it at a reflective surface. Also, nearby people will still be at risk because not everyone has goggles.

Do u all buy goggles for potential spectators/friends as well?

I'm not saying wear goggles when you're shining it around the room, just be careful and you'll be fine. Get goggles so that you have them if you want to try any experiments or burning, or decide you want more power at a later date! :D

As for friends, again, be careful. If you buy something more powerful and want to show them something burning, wear goggles yourself as you'll be up close, make sure the laser can't roll off of the table or send a beam somewhere you don't expect. Then have them stand a couple of metres back so that diffuse reflections don't damage their eyes. Don't try and burn shiny things either, they are hard to burn and are more likely to send reflections into your friends eyes. :(

You'll get a feel for what we mean about reflections if you start off with something lower power.

I actually only own goggles for IR as all of my lasers are lab modules, so they generally terminate at a beam stop or on a wall and don't move. Need IR goggles for repairing the DPSS systems though, they like to send IR light everywhere when you have them open and you can't see where it's going! At least with the visible light I can see where it's going.

Thanks, it seems I should grab a 5 or 50mW (I want 1 as bright as possible) and after shipping & currency exchange, LaserGlow's Anser is $60 which feels like a good price for 135mW. Does Anser satisfy the needs of a first laser or should I search for cheaper? (It's 5mW)

LaserGlow's Anser is $60 which feels like a good price for 135mW. Does Anser satisfy the needs of a first laser or should I search for cheaper? (It's 5mW)

LaserGlow's Anser tops out at 4.9mW's. Do you mean the Aires series?

I've owned the Anser actually and loved it! Very stable, bright and batteries lasted weeks. I'd recommend it :)

-Alex

LaserGlow's Anser tops out at 4.9mW's. Do you mean the Aires series?

I've owned the Anser actually and loved it! Very stable, bright and batteries lasted weeks. I'd recommend it :)

-Alex

yes, damn lol I don't know how those 2 numbers got in there. 5 is what I meant. Most are saying they overcharge tho. I recently got a 303 532nm I feel fine but caution is being advised. Not sure when I'll feel the effects of IR