Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pot mod failed, and laser dosent turn on!

Hi, I have a 5>mW green laser that I tried to pot mod, its one of those lasers were you can NOT get the top of at all, and I dint want to drill a hole in it, so I unscrewed the thing were the batterys go (As is brakes in the middle) and in the bit with the laser in it, that was a circulor piece of foam type stuff around the spring, using a compass I removed it, then underneth the driver board was some more foam. Anyway after rattling around inside the laser, trying to get the driver and modules out I gave up and just put the batterys back in to see if it still worked. It didnt. I dont think I damedged the driver board, becouse whenever I push the button the driver get pushed down to the bottom the the casing, so the outside button isnt actually making contact with the inside button, if you know what I mean. Do any of you know anyway to fix this? thanks.

The foam behind the driver board is there to supoport it, when you push the button you are bending the board back, which may do two things...
1) short out the driver to the case
2) break the pins of the LD

Try puting the foam back in and make sure the external push button is correctly positioned in the hole.

Regards rog8811

Would it be possible to use something else? Becouse I cut off some electrical tape, it was too long so I cut it (With my laser, of coruse  ::)) and then scrupeled (<If the is even a word) it up pushed it underneth the driver. Still dint work  :(. So do any of you know of anything that I can use?

<quote>That's too bad. Foam is hard to come by these days.<quote>

is it? Oh yea, and wow, you have ALOT of lasers!

You could try a couple of matchsticks wrapped in cardboard, just be careful that the size is right....The driver board must be central.

The other bit of foam is there to stop the spring contact touching the case....or have you lost that bit too? ;)

Regards rog8811

Hey, erm, I think I broke it :'(

I found some matches, cut them up, but them undernteth the driver, still nothing... I dont thing the diode or driver is BROKE, but the switch is

okay, I just put some tin foil on the spring just in case the batterys werent making conatact, but the batterys (Ni-MH AAA Recharageble) suddelny got really really, and I mean, really hot!

daguin

hashlasersdosei said:
okay, I just put some tin foil on the spring just in case the batterys werent making conatact, but the batterys (Ni-MH AAA Recharageble) suddelny got really really, and I mean, really hot!

Probably your tinfoil was shorting out to the case (or maybe one of your batteries is shorting out inside itself).

Peace,
dave

sounds like you have busted your first laser  pot modding is somtimes a risk in fact any modification could be risky if not done properly , theres a risk  of obtaining a gain  :p

the bright side is now you have a bluray host !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!