Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pot Mod again

Actually, there's an even easier way. Wrap electrical tape around the silver tip, and keep wrapping it around until you've built up a wall of tape about 1/8 inch thick, which will probably take about 20 revolutions. Then simply grip the tip with a pliers with jaws widened, using about as much froce as you would use to bend an aluminum can in the middle. The pliers will bite in the tape, and the tape will prevent the silver tip from getting scratched. Then just wiggle the pliers around applying pulling force on the tip. It will eventually begin to seperate from the body, and once it does be extra careful to avoid ripping the module out too fast when the tip finally gives all the way.

bledis

rhildinger said:
Actually, there's an even easier way. Wrap electrical tape around the silver tip, and keep wrapping it around until you've built up a wall of tape about 1/8 inch thick, which will probably take about 20 revolutions. Then simply grip the tip with a pliers with jaws widened, using about as much froce as you would use to bend an aluminum can in the middle. The pliers will bite in the tape, and the tape will prevent the silver tip from getting scratched. Then just wiggle the pliers around applying pulling force on the tip. It will eventually begin to seperate from the body, and once it does be extra careful to avoid ripping the module out too fast when the tip finally gives all the way.
I tried something like that what you told, it seems EXTREME glued ::), i just scratched my silver part of laser (not big deal) and cant get it open :mad:
Btw PhysX thanks for tutorial! I was thinking about that too, but I dont really know where to find vise :-X, really, its so difficult to take it off :mad:

chimo said:
I could not find the threads myself, either.

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1188829614
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1184558378

bledis said:
I tried something like that what you told, it seems EXTREME glued ::), i just scratched my silver part of laser (not big deal) and cant get it open :mad:
Btw PhysX thanks for tutorial! I was thinking about that too, but I dont really know where to find vise :-X, really, its so difficult to take it off :mad:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=30999

sorry bout my bad advice i guess that dosent work any more it worked for me.SORRY :-[

I have destroyed the case of every DX I have taken apart,no matter how carefully I tried, I would be very surprised if any of the current models can be disassembled without damage....Fortunately for me I wanted to use them as modules so re-assembly was not part of the plan.

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear....

Regards rog8811

A neat trick is to take a small piece of wood - like a 2x4. Drill a hole just a litte bit bigger than the silvery top of the pointer - about 1.5cm deep. Put in the top and start jiggeling in all directions. That loosend up my 30mw True in one minute. Just don't forget to take out the batteries first!

bledis

Thanks for everyone who tried to help, but i FCKED up my fcking laser when i was trying to open it :mad:... DX peace of crap, i will try to order 30mW True laser and im totally sure it will be more powerful than this True 50mW... I hope so!

bledis

a_pyro_is said:
What happened?
I tried to make pot mod without opening it, I mean from batteries side, and i did something wrong, one microscheme pulled out and all laser fked up...

Hey guys! I have pot modded a few lasers, and with a WL Core, I pry the button off. Then I use a ice pic tip to turn the plastic shroud under the button rotating it out of the way. looking thru the button hole, upwards toward the beam exit end, I see the pot screw, carefully turn it clockwise, test by wedging a toothpick sideways between the inside of body and shroud to light up, when beam is bright as wanted, carefully reverse rotate shroud and re apply button (I use the spot of double sided tape that was on the button before). If you are very careful, it looks like you never touched or messed with the inside. Viola! ;D :) :) :) :) :)

JLSE

I just ordered 3- Geniune New Wish 5mW Green Laser Module (5V)  from dx, they are bare bones components, I have searced all of laserforums and am getting no return. My question is, does anyone here know how to mod these little guys? :eek:  I also ordered the true 50mw and am anxiously reading and trying to find some advanced mods that are relitively safe.  Its these 5mw units I want to beef up, there isnt anything helpfull on the DX site posted in the comment section. sku:# is 10094 thanks in advance...

Please help, im too n00b for my own good.

tvard667 said:
all you have to do it take a drill bit and drill a hole aprox. 3-4mm above the on off switch and inside (with the help of a light) peek around for the pot screw ;D

I was just about to say that!

I've never done it before, but I saw a youtube video of a DX with a hole in the front.

JLSE

Thanks for the help, you definately know your stuff. [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

JLSE

in response to how to safely remove the top of a pointer, there is a nifty little tool that does it without a scratch, or damage, its called a pipe cutter (hobby size polymer bodied), its basically like using a knife, you break the glue with a orbiting wedge. You may want to remove the sticker first. With this method you will find yourself NOT damaging anything. Its Unfortunate that people take advice, and not thinking it over first. That whole drillbit fiasco gave me a good chuckle ;)

If your use a drill, it should be a dremel type. When the bit passes through the case which is usually thin and brass, its rigid properties will grab, & pull the bit right in. You need to have some SERIOUS reaction time to avoid what you have already experianced. Even if your good thats a chance I personally would not take.  If your hobbies tend to stay on the small scale side, I would definately invest in a pipecutter. They are usually about 5-10 bucks. If a hobby shop is not an option, you will find slightly bigger (but still small) at any hardware store. Just remember, those ones are steel, and may scratch. Use some PTFE Tape, Heatshrink, or similar, and jacket the housing first.

cheers

PhysX

Or just do it with a vise of some sort like I said. Take it off in minutes without a scratch. Just use your friends vise or something.