Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your Telescope

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Believe there was a thread for this before but it was quite a while back and many of the links are broken.

Anyone into astronomy/astrophotography post some pics/info about your telescope setup. :D Right now I do not have a telescope, but I do have a pair of Celestron SkyMaster 25x70 Binoculars which I use for simple moon and planet viewing.

Looking at getting a Orion Skymax 90mm though, anyone had the chance to try this scope?

Pics of my binoculars:

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

Last edited:

I have a pair like that too, but older. I was surprised that I could actually see the ring around Saturn and I thought I also saw three moons around it, amazing. Didn't expect that with them, they were the same 25 x 70 as yours by the same company.

Here's my most recent purchase:

https://shop.astronomerswithoutbord...tpage/products/awb-onesky-reflector-telescope

Review:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/uploads/OneSkyReflector.pdf

Edit: Use it backwards with a suitable laser pointer and now you have a huge beam expander too. By putting a pointer where the eyepiece goes which is out of focus enough to have its spot widely cover the redirecting mirror enough, it should be able to expand to 5 inches and by sliding the whole secondary mirror/eyepiece assembly in or out some to find the right place to adjust to infinity focus, although you may need to adjust your laser pointer focus too. Between them, I'm betting infinity focus can be achieved without shooting through the eyepiece by just placing the pointer in its holder.

I don't know how much power the secondary mirror used backwards for light transmission with a pointer can take at what power density, the 5+ inch primary mirror should be fine when the beam is expanded, but the secondary might not like it, so be careful to de-focus your pointer first. I don't know if I'd try using the telescope with a NUBM44 6 or 7 watt blue pointer, might be asking for trouble with that small secondary mirror. I will see what I can determine, once received. Maybe I shouldn't assume there could be trouble, but better to question than not.

I ordered this telescope yesterday, will report more later on how well that might work out. I've wanted a telescope for a long time to look into the sky better, finally bought this one.

(My temp self-ban over).

Last edited:
That is amazing, Chris. I have been looking at Celestron telescopes for a long time and this one for $200.00 looks better than ones costing more than twice that amount. I may have to hang onto this site so I can purchase one when I can afford it. Thanks for the link.

I have a pair like that too, but older. I was surprised that I could actually see the ring around Saturn and I thought I also saw three moons around it, amazing. Didn't expect that with them, they were the same 25 x 70 as yours by the same company.

Here's my most recent purchase:

https://shop.astronomerswithoutbord...tpage/products/awb-onesky-reflector-telescope

Review:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/uploads/OneSkyReflector.pdf

Edit: Use it backwards with a suitable laser pointer and now you have a huge beam expander too. By putting a pointer where the eyepiece goes which is out of focus enough to have its spot widely cover the redirecting mirror enough, it should be able to expand to 5 inches and by sliding the whole secondary mirror/eyepiece assembly in or out some to find the right place to adjust to infinity focus, although you may need to adjust your laser pointer focus too. Between them, I'm betting infinity focus can be achieved without shooting through the eyepiece by just placing the pointer in its holder.

I don't know how much power the secondary mirror used backwards for light transmission with a pointer can take at what power density, the 5+ inch primary mirror should be fine when the beam is expanded, but the secondary might not like it, so be careful to de-focus your pointer first. I don't know if I'd try using the telescope with a NUBM44 6 or 7 watt blue pointer, might be asking for trouble with that small secondary mirror. I will see what I can determine, once received. Maybe I shouldn't assume there could be trouble, but better to question than not.

I ordered this telescope yesterday, will report more later on how well that might work out. I've wanted a telescope for a long time to look into the sky better, finally bought this one.

(My temp self-ban over).
Yes it would make a nice fixed focused beam expander.
I don't think you'll need to adjust anything. Just make sure the laser beam is collimated to lowest divergence before experimentation.

Last edited:
If you shoot the collimated beam into the eye piece, that should work, but I don't expect it to be near the full expansion which can be achieved by adjusting the pointer out of focus and then adjusting the main slider, I think that would take a wider or thicker beam than most pointers produce.

If you shoot the collimated beam into the eye piece, that should work, but I don't expect it to be near the full expansion which can be achieved by adjusting the pointer out of focus and then adjusting the main slider, I think that would take a wider or thicker beam than most pointers produce.

P1130594.jpg

:whistle:

kecked

I have a 6" meade refractor gathering dust. lxd55 6" AR6 I think it is called. Not shipping the counter weights unless you want to pay for it. It's even in a golfclub travel case. Used it once fo the 2003 mars close encounter. Just too much trouble to setup. Now I use Nikon Stabilized binos.

My other 8" celestron Cassigrain with the auto alignment and star sense. Works well but again a hassle to drag out. I prefer binoculars for this reason. oberwer.kcom has great ones. For the heavy ones I use a monopod to hold them up. You can steady your arms when the weight is off.

This is a hobby I have been contemplating getting back into for a very long time. Seems like other projects have taken a front seat to star gazing, but it has never left my mind. Especially when I see the amazing astral photography presented here.

I have a nice collection of various sized telescopes.
Here's my two favourite ones.

A Takahashi TOA-130s 5 inch.
Notice the green laser star pointer up top of the little guide scope too.

RB-TOA130_EM400.jpg

Also have a Meade LX200 12 inch Classic.
(not my photo, but identical to mine)

33638670_184226019077883_1707804916740784128_n.jpg

and a few astro photos of mine (you can also search through more of my astro photos on LPF).

The Pleiades M45 taken through the 5 inch Takahashi:

m45.jpg

and Corona Australis through the 5 inch Takahashi.

CoronaAustralis.jpg

Also a total Lunar Eclipse taken through the 5 inch Takahashi.

lunar-eclipse-2007.jpg

Astronomy/Astrophotography is very rewarding (when the weather co-operates).

:crackup:

RB

Encap

Awesome serious telescopes RB astro.

I love that super quality Takahashi TOA-130s w. state-of-the-art optical performance that brings out details you don't see with other scopes--that EM400 mount alone is a work of art---amazing kit, perfect for astrophotography.

Amazing photos---post more. :kewlpics: :gj:

Last edited:
Thank you Encap.
You're right, the Tak gear is wonderful to use.
I'll try and find more astro shots to post.

Glad you liked them.
RB

:beer:

I have a nice collection of various sized telescopes.
Here's my two favourite ones.

A Takahashi TOA-130s 5 inch.
Notice the green laser star pointer up top of the little guide scope too.

RB-TOA130_EM400.jpg

Also have a Meade LX200 12 inch Classic.
(not my photo, but identical to mine)

33638670_184226019077883_1707804916740784128_n.jpg

Also a total Lunar Eclipse taken through the 5 inch Takahashi.

RB
You keep impressing me with your big-boy toys..
I have a Telescope I got a while ago... Can't
remember the model. This thread gives me the
drive to pull it out of storage and finally test it
and use it.

Jerry

I’ve been looking at prices for 12 inch reflector telescopes for five years now, ouch, spendy at 10 inch and above. Beautiful!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I don't have any professional telescopes, but I did build one using a pvc pipe and a large surplus achromatic doublet binocular lens. It has an 80mm aperture.
I keep meaning to get a proper telescope. I'd love one like Andrews got. :p

Last edited:
I have been seeing the same thing on reflector telescopes. Above 10 inches and the price goes waaaay up. But, that $200 scope looks like the best deal I have ever seen for a beginner's scope. Photography with it won't be possible, or at least not as good. Much of my disposable cash has gone into test equipment for lasers. I would like to have something to look at Venus with which is very visible in the night sky here around 10 P.M.

You keep impressing me with your big-boy toys..
I have a Telescope I got a while ago... Can't
remember the model. This thread gives me the
drive to pull it out of storage and finally test it
and use it.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, yes, these scopes are my pride and joy and a real pleasure to use.
The wooden mahogany tripod on the Takahashi TOA130/EM400 combo is classically beautiful, elegant and practical as it helps dampen any vibrations quickly.
Truly a work of art.

You should get your scope out and try it out.

I don't have any professional telescopes, but I did build one using a pvc pipe and a large surplus achromatic doublet binocular lens. It has an 80mm aperture.
I keep meaning to get a proper telescope. I'd love one like Andrews got. :p

Thanks Curtis, glad you like it.
Good on you for making your own 80mm using PVC.
The best ones are the ones you make yourself.
LOL, I remember making my own green little laser out of PVC.
Love it !

:)

Amazing photos---post more. :kewlpics: :gj:

Found another old astro photo I took of the Lagoon Nebula, way back when..... (early attempt, while I was still learning), well you never stop learning do you? :whistle:

lagoon.jpg

RB

Last edited: