Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Portable FAP Red

Isaac --- I am still self employed and work on projects late at night. I should have something in about a week. The good laser is mounted to the fan heat sink and I need to make final resistor changes to the power control.
HMike

I received the TI voltage regulator I ordered from that fellow I wrote to you about in the mail today, sure would like to see a schematic of what you have done with yours :) - No word yet if he has more ready to sell.

Chris -- I'll try to get a drawing for you. I'm still trying to get the resistors for the voltage adjustment range working (Pin 20). The data page is pretty easy for most of the design --- many pins are either grounded or left open. I currently have 11K Ohms on pins 4 - 18 for a max current of ~ 35 Amps. Pin 21 to Gnd is my trigger using a NC switch. Everything will likely change a bit when I connect the good module.
HMike

I still can't send +Rep-------

Last edited:
I have a pair of 20w arrays from junktronics that I never used, if you have any interest let me know.
SANY0309_zpshgxga9n3.jpg

SANY0312_zps8pvk1hki.jpg

Chris --- Because the V/I curve of the laser is non-linear, I made my power control non-linear!! That is under control now.
My next concern is whether the diverging lens should have the concave side facing the fibers in the output of the module.
HMike

Last edited:
Great, getting closer. Looking forward with anticipation!

Mr. Mike dancing as he gets close to finishing his IR cannon :)

Chris -- I like your Zumba too much!!!
I find that the module current rises as the heat goes up but applied voltage stays stable. I really want some feedback to the PS but it doesn't seem to work right.
Later -- HMike

I have no doubt you know the reason, too small of a heat sink, fan on that small one can't keep up, obviously, your battery pack is doing well though. Hope you find a solution so you don't need a monstrous heat sink.

Here's the wonder of breadboard design !!

11342-100-0740.jpg

I'll now mount the good laser and heat sink and do the final tweaking -- then the optics.
I'll try to get a schematic drawn this weekend. The resistor values may need to be adjusted for each application. I'm not using the remote sense connections because they didn't seem to respond the way I wanted. The battery pack is under the PS module - The PB switch is the trigger and the pot is obvious and the large red leads at the left connect to a key safety switch. I still am thinking of turning the plano side of the -FL lens toward the laser.
Chris -- I let the dummy load heat up to see how the diode bar responds and I know that I will limit this to 30 Amps. My values will change a bit because the 10 gauge wires will be shortened a bit in the final assembly.
HMike

PS: It really helps to have a resistor decade box for testing!

Last edited:
Cool beans, hope you can get something working in the not too distant future. Tonight I put a small 8 AH 2 VDC Cyclon lead acid battery on one of my FAP800's and shined it at a wall 25 feet away and saw a big red spot. Now I see why you say "red". It might be IR, but I saw a circle of cherry red light, very dim but also very red. The beam being a couple of feet wide is more like a spot light, but there it was. I don't think the color was an artifact, but how the eye responds to a 808nm IR source, but of course quite dispersed after expanding so much.

Last edited:
I AM BUMMED OUT. I mounted up the good module and put the factory lens assembly on it and hit threshold at about 15 Amps. A deep red spot on paper 10" away. I turned up the current to 25 Amps and ------- the spot turned yellow orange and I let go of the trigger. The output fiber port had burned :-( The same thing happened to my other 40 W FAP and in the same way. Can you believe the bad luck... I'm wondering if the output lens assembly is a problem or if the FAP is designed to be close coupled to a fiber cable and then the lens assembly.
I have removed about 1/8" of the coupler and have been polishing the "stump" using 1800 grit sand paper. At 5 Amps (below threshold), I can see all the fibers clean but I don't know yet how deep the damage went in the couple seconds.
I'm thinking an expander not connected to the unit might be a better approach.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I can still use the diode bar at 808nM to excite a NdYag rod -- I have a small one. All may not be lost.
HMike

Last edited:
Just received an answer to my email last week today, the said he was offline for a long time and just got my message, asked me how the one I just received from him a few days ago is working, but I'm not ready to try to test it yet. I asked him how many he has, no answer yet today. Last I heard he had 5 or 6, two of which are for you. He said three for fifty dollars last time we communicated about it though.

I'm good for two units. They may be handy if 808 bars will
power up a NdYag !!!!!!
No More close focus on these FAP units for me !!!!!
HMike
I'm trying to get the module running again so I'm not
drawing a schematic. Those modules use many pins simply
for power and I only connect a few for the rest.

Last edited:
I got a "new" FAP today.....Tested ..............
I find 4 diodes in the bar DOA. It's going back - duh.
Hmike