Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Portable 1W blue laser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres a idea,
Blueray HD lost to Blue-ray.
Soon HD-DVD record drives with be dirt cheap and you could use mirror arrays to combine a array of diodes to simulate a single beam.
Use 10 pairs of BR diodes in series powered by current regulators from 12v for 1Watt combined beam.

Don't tell anyone I told you how ;D

405nm FUN! :cool:

PS: need rep rating please help me!

^Doesn't asking for reputation points kinda defeat the purpose of having reputation points?

As for cheaper and more powerful blue and green lasers, they MAY happen one day, but it'll be a while, and they may never reach that power. However, there is always that chance. Just think about one of the soon-to-be-hopefully applications for lasers: large area projectors. We have red, and people are working on making blue and green diodes in order to make RGB laser projectors. To put a small one in your cellphone, it won't take a lot of power, so that'll be very doable. To replace classroom projectors, that'll take a decent amount of power, and they'll be common and fairly cheap, so we'll have that power level. How much power will it take for the lasers to be used in, say, movie theater projectors? Still not 1W, but still quite a bit of power, and we may be able to afford those. I'm sure Las Vegas shows would somehow incorporate HUGE laser projectors that may reach that kind of power if that power ever became attainable, but they'll be in such limited numbers that laser diodes with specs of 1W probably won't be affordable to us mere mortals. But, we've seen you can definitely overdrive diodes, so who knows?

But won't that be awesome? A projector that will fill a wall with your PowerPoint presentation inside your cell phone? Batteries have some catching up to do though.

tomcat

please read ALL of sams laser faq before posting here it took me 5 days to read it all but its worth it

Switch

Of course they'll reach that power, don't be so pesimistic lol ;D I mean, a hundred years ago, some of the leading airplane builders said that it will NEVER be possible for a plane to fly from London to New York.Which is now ridiculous to say....Diodes will reach that power , and have good beam specs, and will be affordable and of many many colors. ;D Hopefully within our lifetime too....

By the way... People give themselves rep points.They give each other multiple rep points for no reason or with no comments.If you give someone a -1 , he'll -1 you right back because he never thinks it's just.All in all , they're fun but pretty much worthless :p

Switch

kerberos said:
So you think the future in laser history will be all dpss?
The very near future is probably dpss.Then diodes will become cheaper and better.And maybe in a distant future some other kickass technology will probably replace diodes. :p

Razako

Anyone remember when they started selling the first crappy LED flashlights?
sku_4199_1.jpg

Now they have turned into stuff like this.
sku_11917_2.jpg

yes, but those first LED lights were not so crappy when they came out.^^^

Switch

Thinkgeek was selling 3 and 5 LED flashlights for ridiculous prices like $20 a few years ago.Not you can get a 20 LED one on DX for 5 bucks. :p I imagine that in a few more years people will be like "Oh, I burnt my 10x blu-ray diode, no biggy , getting another one..." , and we'll having GBs for blue and green diodes used in laser projetors and laser TV.

Ok, I got carried away with the new rating game!

Anway,
I found a new (3\8\08) US Samsung patent that use R&G&B lasers and a multiple(insect like) lens for a tiny color projector.
They also just patented a KTP crystal cut at the B-C angle of phi=23.5 degrees(not standard regular  a-b cut 68ish) to eliminate the temperature power drift problems.
Now I believe DX was correct in stating thier lasers use a samsung diode.
I believe now; U  get more power from KTP cut at 68deg. but you need to keep the temp (~20C) in range with TEC.

DIY 473nm from scratch:
I am the proud owner now of 2, ND:YAG 3*3*2mm & BBO 2, 2*2*5 mm crystals with 2W Collimated 808 C-Mount pump diodes and OC-50mm mirrors and lots of other crystal/optic goodies from my good friends in China.
(wish I could afford the good fused-module American stuff I found from Miami)
I'm just steps away now from a completing my design of a sealed  50>mW 473nm lab grade TEC controlled LASER beam machine
>473----X.
I can't wait to turn the screws to see that beautiful blue Nd:YAG doubled color star on the wall. Micropositioning optics is my new adventure.
will post some JPG's later after completion.

Crossed fingers & Cheers
Happy it's Spring but sorry if your under water!

EDIT WOOPS: IT"S BIBO NOT THE LESSER BBO

BBO?
I thought 473 used Nd:YAG coated for 946nm plus KTP...
But I hate to tell ya that it's gonna be a LONG road to getting even 1mw from that setup let alone 50. You'll be the first DIYer to have ever done it AFAIK, but if you can I'd love to hear more. DIY DPSS is something that I'd love to get into, but haven't simply because I know it's the most fiddly and precise thing you can think of.

Yea the ND:Yag is coated for 946 and to discard other but the BIBO should work fine because I read it's the state of the art in 473 SHG. It's more robust.

Crossed fingers

It seems the time for a cheap 1W blue laser has finally come thanks to the 445nm diodes, the funny thing is they sell for less than green ones instead of the $18'000 price tag forecast a couple posts ago :-D

daguin

It seems the time for a cheap 1W blue laser has finally come thanks to the 445nm diodes, the funny thing is they sell for less than green ones instead of the $18'000 price tag forecast a couple posts ago :-D

Please read the date of a thread before posting. That "couple of posts ago" was posted over two YEARS ago!

Peace,
dave

Status
Not open for further replies.