Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Popcorn popping...

$1000000 --
You got it -- The microwaves excite the water mollicules in whatever it hits. Liquid water, wet rag or residule moisture inside the popcorn hull. A drop of water, a pinch of energy, steam and POP. Hot oil cooks evenly from the outside in causing the same event.

Interesting aside info: The first microwave ovens (Radarange) ran at 2.5 Ghz. The new ones run at 5 GHz. 2.5 GHz is the range for satelite uplinking !!! There's pirates on them there birds talking for free !!! Like the old CB days

Mike

Gazoo

Hey Mike, take your Co2 laser and shoot the popcorn kernel.. ;D It would probably explode with delight.

Gazoo --

Even without focus, the Co2 would burn one side, the outside and pooy, burned popcorn :(

HEY -- I'm a level 5 !!! A major event in my life passes without notice --- even by me !!!

Mike

Benm

millionaire said:
so the waves get the water vibrating fast enough to heat it up. thats why the plate normally doesnt get hot. I think this is right but not 100% sure. someone correct if i am wrong.

Microwave ovens are interesting devices, and the processes by which they heat food are quite complex.

The process has nothing to do with any resonance of water molecules, such effects occur on much higher frequencies than actually used. The main 2 processes of heating are due to the dipole moment of the water molecule, which causes it to move in sync with the RF field regardless of frequency. The other major process is dielectric loss, which also applies to nonpolar substances (such as fats) in variable degree. This is why its perfectly possible to heat water-free fats or oils in a microwave.

As for the frequency: larger industrial-size microwaves use 900 MHz, which requires a larger chamber, but has the advantage of penetrating deeper into the foodstuff heated.

YES --- We have popcorn FUSION energy  !!  
SenKat --  12 beams on a kernal from all sides  ---  This would make a great video

I bet this would be a very cool experiment! Perhaps if you're left with a dozen or so diodes from the group buy, you could try. If it doesnt work, just sell it as an artpiece to some museum - i'm sure it'd make a profit ;)

Even without focus, the Co2 would burn one side, the outside and pooy, burned popcorn

Throw a kernel in the cavity and power it upready ;p

DD776

Even without focus, the Co2 would burn one side, the outside and pooy, burned popcorn  

Throw a kernel in the cavity and power it upready ;p

Again... That will still only cook half of the side. And now for a weird idea.
If you can just get the popcorn kernal to "float" somehow (A Popcorn Magnet >_>) and Get mirrors to cook the kernal from all sides, MAYBE you could get a result, but not guarentee on that. And again... Simply heating up the water INSIDE of the kernal will heat it into steam.

Things

how about getting a laser not powerful enough to burn, but powerful enough to create a bit of heat to turn the water to steam? interesting idea! but getting popcorn to float in mid air will be more rewarding that popping it with a laser! :D

DD776 --

That's what I was trying to imply -- Levetation of the kernal as in fusion !! Maybe with sufficient ultrasonic energy, the kernal could float and be blasted from all sides !!! POPCORN FUSION

Mike

Please -- lets be funny here ;D

Benm

I'm still convinced that if you put popcorn kernels in the cavity of a CO2 laser of sufficient power, something WILL definitely pop.

I dont dare to guarantee it will be the popcorn though ;)

Water absorbs at 1400nm so if you had that wavelength it might make it easier to heat it up without damage. The problem that making a laser at that wavelength is pretty useless for any practical purpous due to the absorbtion of water which can be found in pretty much everything.

In general, IR is going to work better than visible as the IR can excite molecular bonds and transfer heat easier. But again, there is less use for lasers at such long wavelengths and so they are harder to come by.

I'de try multiple unfocused lasers uniformly heating the kernal.

I hadn't done it before, but I'm sure that heating it a long time with no sharpie mark will heat it evenly and maybe pop.
if the moisture isn't just right inside, it won't pop.

Remember that it's the shell which has to absorb the heat.
Pick a big wet kernal ;D

Mike