Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Poorman's version of "The Torch"

I did a mod like that once.
However, i used a big 'ol maglite, and put in a 12V 10W Halogen Bulb.
Then, I used a special battery holder, and used 14V worth of 1.2V AA batteries.
You also have to get a metal reflector and a new switch that can handle the current. The original maglite switch melted from the current :eek:

The 20 minutes is the amount of time of light that it can still burn stuff, and that is with the rcr123 batteries from DX. I am sure the AW cells would give closer to 30 minutes as the rcr123 batteries have around 500mah each while the AW rcr123 batteries have close to 700mah each.

The lumen output is very good IMO, probably between 150 and 200?

Spyderz20x6, sounds like alot of work! I can see why the switch would melt, that is alot of current. For $27 total this is probably the cheapest burning light one can make.

snowlover91 said:
The 20 minutes is the amount of time of light that it can still burn stuff, and that is with the rcr123 batteries from DX.  I am sure the AW cells would give closer to 30 minutes as the rcr123 batteries have around 500mah each while the AW rcr123 batteries have close to 700mah each.

The lumen output is very good IMO, probably between 150 and 200?

Spyderz20x6, sounds like alot of work!  I can see why the switch would melt, that is alot of current.  For $27 total this is probably the cheapest burning light one can make.
Ya, mine cost like $100 total to make.

Things

I use one of my intelligent lights to do this. 250W 24V halogen bulb, burns thru cardboard in about 5 seconds. Its no where near portable, and cost me about $250US for the light, but the lense is broken, so i thought i may aswell try it.

This is just with the original lamp reflector, so I am loosing alot of power, but it still works. It even started to discolour a peice of metal when I put it infront of it :eek: :eek:

jerry

From the youtube description:
I used sku 905, 5297, and 14027 to make this light

What does all this mean? I went to dx and only found the flashlight.

jerry said:
From the youtube description:
I used sku 905, 5297, and 14027 to make this light

What does all this mean?  I went to dx and only found the flashlight.

At the top of the page in the link bar, there is an sku number at the end once you click on a product. So, for example, click on a flashlight. At the top in the link bar, it will end in sku.xxxx, just delete the numbers and put these in there 1 at a time, then hit enter and it should take you to the product. Let me know if that works or not for you, if not I can post the links.

well i got the light, batts and lens today, still waiting on the bulb. The lens is foggy on the back as if it wasnt finished, it doesnt look like this in the pic, is this normal??

artix

There was a price drop on this! Now it is $18.49! [smiley=happy.gif]

tone1132 said:
well i got the light, batts and lens today, still waiting on the bulb. The lens is foggy on the back as if it wasnt finished, it doesnt look like this in the pic, is this normal??

Hmm, do you have a picture of it? Have you tried to clean it with a microfiber cloth? It could be when they packaged they had dirty hands and smudged the lens or something?

AusLasersSuck, those batteries will work but won't produce nearly as much heat or burning power. Since they are around 3.2v when fresh, whereas as rcr123 is about 4.1v when fully charged. Multiply that by 2 batteries and that is 6.4v versus 8.2v, a big difference. I would get 4 rcr123 batteries instead and they will be cheaper in the longrun. Hope this helps.

Anyone else build this light yet?

snowlover91 said:
[quote author=tone1132 link=1230332341/20#25 date=1233283734]well i got the light, batts and lens today, still waiting on the bulb. The lens is foggy on the back as if it wasnt finished, it doesnt look like this in the pic, is this normal??

Hmm, do you have a picture of it?  Have you tried to clean it with a microfiber cloth?  It could be when they packaged they had dirty hands and smudged the lens or something?

AusLasersSuck, those batteries will work but won't produce nearly as much heat or burning power.  Since they are around 3.2v when fresh, whereas as rcr123 is about 4.1v when fully charged.  Multiply that by 2 batteries and that is 6.4v versus 8.2v, a big difference.  I would get 4 rcr123 batteries instead and they will be cheaper in the longrun.  Hope this helps.  

Anyone else build this light yet?[/quote]

Bump

Batteries
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.722

Charger
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1236

Converter
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11491

Is anything there wrong (I'm converting the plug to australia plug)