Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Poor focus on Odin 5W450 by C4Lasers

CtLase

I just received a Odin 5000mW, 450nm pointer from C4Lasers. It has a focus ring, but the smallest 'spot' I can get at about 50 feet is a rectangle of about 1 inch by 5 inches. See pic.

I contacted their support@c4lasers.com, but they indicated that this is about the best to expect.
Is there a better focus lens available that I can use?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• 1020200928-1.jpg
    1020200928-1.jpg
    898.6 KB · Views: 3

gazer101

That is totally normal for any high powered laser due to the poor divergence offered by the multi-mode diodes they use

Giannis_TDM

I just received a Odin 5000mW, 450nm pointer from C4Lasers. It has a focus ring, but the smallest 'spot' I can get at about 50 feet is a rectangle of about 1 inch by 5 inches. See pic.

I contacted their support@c4lasers.com, but they indicated that this is about the best to expect.
Is there a better focus lens available that I can use?

Thanks,
Bill
Yup totally normal, Sadly high power laser diodes without correction are often 'flashlights', I would even call that a good beam for that diode. They should be using already the best lens for divergence available (3 element). Also I regret to inform you that you way way overpaid. That laser costs about 100ish max in components and 30 ish max for that shitty standard host.

Last edited:

gazer101

Yup totally normal, Sadly high power laser diodes without correction are often 'flashlights', I would even call that a good beam for that diode. They should be using already the best lens for divergence available (3 element). Also I regret to inform you that you way way overpaid. That laser costs about 100ish max in components and 30 ish max for that shitty standard host.
Just out of pure curiosity, where would I get that shitty standard WL host from? I've been meaning to make a 7W laser using it, but all the Alibaba listings I've seen are super pricey

CtLase

Thanks for the info! I should have done more research before purchasing! I was 'sucked-in' by their spec that claimed the beam had a distance of 18.64 miles. But now, I'm ratioing my spot size measurements at 50 feet, and I estimate that the 'spot' at 18.64 miles will be about 800 feet wide. Their spec is very misleading!
Thanks!
Bill

Giannis_TDM

Just out of pure curiosity, where would I get that shitty standard WL host from? I've been meaning to make a 7W laser using it, but all the Alibaba listings I've seen are super pricey
It's just a cheap replica of the PL-E pro host from Jetlasers I think you could ask them for a host and they'd give you a good price although idk the exact price. Also, the cheap repilca hosts used to be on ebay.

I looked at (one time) diodes like they were made for us to use.. not so.
I doubt that the diode makers ever think about us and our uses.
(with possible exception the diodes used in aaa pen pointers.)

At best, I will guess that we buy less than 1% of the 'other' diodes made.
so that does not give us any 'buying power' or consideration. I cannot think of any device using laser diodes, where the focus is anyway near a small round dot at 50 feet.--MYB laser gun sights which are mostly red wavelengths.
I could be wrong.

CtLase

My 'old' Wicked Laser, blue Artic, about 1.3W produces a very small spot at several hundred feet away. I was expecting the spot from this one to be similar.

Maybe someday, a very smart person will invent a laser diode that produces a round beam (instead of oval beams) directly from the chip, similar to the beam that comes out of my old Melles Griot HeNe glass tube.

Giannis_TDM

My 'old' Wicked Laser, blue Artic, about 1.3W produces a very small spot at several hundred feet away. I was expecting the spot from this one to be similar.

Maybe someday, a very smart person will invent a laser diode that produces a round beam (instead of oval beams) directly from the chip, similar to the beam that comes out of my old Melles Griot HeNe glass tube.
Yea It's here and called: Any red dvd burner diode. Also, your WL artic has a better beam because it has a different diode (m140) Which is one of the best multimode divergence diodes available. King is the sharp 1w 405 with about half the divergence of the m140. Also, Single-mode diodes exist with a very low divergence(better than the sharp 405) oval-shaped or circular beam.

gazer101

Nah they quoted me $70, even worse than Alibaba... guess I'll need to wait until I can either machine my own host or a cheaper option becomes available

Hi,
If possible see if the lens can be changed out for a G8 or a 3E lens to reduce the beam size by clipping the wings . You would need to see if the lens you are using has the threads of M9x0.5 .
Rich:)

check out some of these-^^^- will explain why you are not getting much help..sorry no fault on us or you.. I was told those crap hosts were made for WL at less than $7usd each/and buyers were treated very badly. lots of lies-- only wanted the money NOW--some waited a year..

anyone who was there understands. -- the fall-out was bad..
'we'(members) got hurt--as did LPF--and many others... lots of bad reports about injuries etc.
the press was all over this. They were sold to children-- anyone with CCard info.
and very few buyers had eye protection.
I'm sure there are many out there FS
any way not the lasers fault. good luck.
do a search....

hak

gazer101

check out some of these-^^^- will explain why you are not getting much help..sorry no fault on us or you.. I was told those crap hosts were made for WL at less than $7usd each/and buyers were treated very badly. lots of lies-- only wanted the money NOW--some waited a year..

anyone who was there understands. -- the fall-out was bad..
'we'(members) got hurt--as did LPF--and many others... lots of bad reports about injuries etc.
the press was all over this. They were sold to children-- anyone with CCard info.
and very few buyers had eye protection.
I'm sure there are many out there FS
any way not the lasers fault. good luck.
do a search....

hak
Lol if only I were able to get one [host] at that pricing

Stillers48

I looked at (one time) diodes like they were made for us to use.. not so.
I doubt that the diode makers ever think about us and our uses.
(with possible exception the diodes used in aaa pen pointers.)

At best, I will guess that we buy less than 1% of the 'other' diodes made.
so that does not give us any 'buying power' or consideration. I cannot think of any device using laser diodes, where the focus is anyway near a small round dot at 50 feet.--MYB laser gun sights which are mostly red wavelengths.
I could be wrong.
I was of the impression that the beam pattern remaining tight over distance wasn't as much about lens focus as it was the density of the light? LEPs are in the area of 600 lumens but the light so dense that it makes the light appear to be as "bright" as the throwers that are producing tens of thousands of lumens, and remains extremely tight over distance. There's virtually zero diffusion of light over miles of projection. Yes, lens is certainly a factor. But there are handheld, even flashlights which don't diffuse like this. It seems to me that the issue is the quality of other parts, the diode even perhaps. Not so much the lens.

BudJaret

Hi folks,.I was born yesterday to this forum and I am really close to buying this laser after reading comments about Sanwu from all members here. Is this a good high quality laser that will last and not need any modifications of the box? It's the Sanwu Striker series 7.5w blue 445nm. About $580
Thanks for the help!
Bud

Sowee7

why are there a bunch of new people wanting high power blue lasers now