Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Polishing Copper

I have a small copper heatsink and I have tried polishing it with some copper polish, but there are a few small scratches that I can't seem to get off. Anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to use some household things. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Pictures always make it easier.

If you have scratches that you can still see after you polish it then you need to go back a couple steps before polishing, you will need to sand them scratches out with fine sand paper, with out a picture it's hard to tell where your at but you could start with 300 grit then go to 400 grit in the opposite direction then 600 grit in the opposite direction then some crocus cloth and then do the polish thing.

hope that helps...

I have a small copper heatsink and I have tried polishing it with some copper polish, but there are a few small scratches that I can't seem to get off. Anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to use some household things. Thanks. :)

NKO29

I always start with sandpaper that equals the scratches in the metal, then go down until the finest i have. Then i get out my Dremel polishing wheel and polishing liquid, and BAM shiny as a mirror! Getting perfect polished finishes on copper takes time, don't rush and take your time it should turn out nice!

Ok, thanks for your help guys! I will try some fine sandpaper since the scratches I have arent very deep, then I will polish it again.

I have 1600 grade sandpaper -- but Crocus cloth ??
I now know there's at least two of us here who have used that stuff!!!
Super if you can find it.
HMike

^^^Yup I would go higher. Before polishing the Krytons, I sand with 1000 and then 2000 grit paper. If you have access to a grinding wheel you could buy a buffing pad and some jewelers rouge, not too expensive and the results will be a mirror like finish. ;) :beer:

Spooky

Toothpaste :)

Old engineers trick for polishing bearing housings :)

cheers

Dave

Spooky

Also works for removing scratches on Compact Disks / DVD's :)

Cheers

Dave