Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Polarity

Question for you guys
what would happen if you put the battery in any laser the incorrect way round?

as none say inside the cap or have got a + or - on end caps?

at least the Sanwu site tells you .........
Battery orientation1 x 18650 or 1 x 18350 lithium-ion battery
Red & Violet: positive end goes first / Green: negative end goes first

But what would happen if you did reverse it....................
as i bought a green and a violet and neither say on them which is the green laser or which one is the violet.......
[ yes im going to put a sticker on one so i know which ones which....]

Also 2cnd question
is it because of customs that not all [ if any] have the DANGER sticker on? and the class?

wold it help if you looked inside -------> like , if you look inside one of the lasers the spring is at the bottom near diode , does that mean its + or - to put in 1st? it my help if you forgot what laser color you have .
Thanks63599

Last edited:

You should check for each individual laser - but if the diode you're using is case-negative (most direct-diode lasers), the battery is likely to have the +ve pointing the diode and the -ve pointing the tailcap.

If the diode's case-positive (many DPSS lasers, some diode lasers), then the battery is usually flipped over, so the -ve faces the diode/module and the +ve is pointing to the tailcap.

You should be fine with these Sanwu ones to experiment to find out as they say on the website they have reverse-polarity protection built into their drivers. These are commonly avaliable 303 style lasers, but I think that Sanwu must just be performing more stringent quality control than you'd get buying these from source.

For the second question, this one varies a lot. Sanwu don't seem to attach the class/hazard stickers, and many cheap import lasers are shipped with stickers claiming theyre class 2/3R when they're definitely more than 5mW output! I'd assume that this is done for customs reasons, yes.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I believe that most of the high quality, recomended laser companies, such as Jetlasers and Sanwu will have the proper battery orientation marked on their units.
I always add a polarity sticker to all my builds and others that may not have come with one; I've found that I think I'll always remember the direction, but a sticker or mark of some kind makes it foolproof.

gWlZxQO.jpg

GSS

I wouldn't count on Sanwu's 301 and 303's having reverse polarity protection. All the others they custom units they make yes.
Your 303 green 532 will not survive if the battery put in backwords. It is positive to the tail cap.
The red 303 650 "should"?? survive, at least one of my 301 style survived after I repeatedly put the battery in backwords a couple years ago. Don't take my word though and do some research.
There are ways to tell which 303 is what color laser or at least it's easier to tell which one is the 532 as you will see a longer module and extra lens. The red and violet won't be a s easy but since the positive goes to the front you will find out quickly.
Before you try get in touch with Sanwu to be safe.

Edit: Well I guess Sanwu calls them 304's:)
Oh and having a spring at either end of the contacts doesn't mean it has to do with battery position. Just the way they choose to build it for any certain reason I guess..

Last edited:

cadbob

I had sent Francis a Confirming email as I have been putting mine in Positive first, as I was waiting for email back i read more about the Guardian I bought and seen this:
"The Guardian is powered by one 18350 lithium battery. Insert the battery with the positive side going in first. Next, screw on the base cap and press the power button to operate the laser "

I also attached the link to this thread as well.

Reactions: GSS

Podo

The reversed battery orientation is for the green laser pointer only, the positive of battery must be inserted into the laser body first and facing towards the laser diode for all of our handheld lasers.

PLEASE check before starting a thread on this same subject..having more than one is not a great idea.
There is one already on-going.

always check with a search.

AND I bet you will find MANY more as well.

will not post in both....hak