Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pman is nuts (warning LOTS of pics)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
"Pman the Tinman", it's got a nice ring to it. ;)
Seriously though, nice job on the tins Pete! I tried to push you over the edge for the big 400, but I'm not allowed to yet, sorry.

I noticed that your first one, the "Jones FuFu berry" tin is like my "Eclipse" mints build, with an end opening lid; it sure does make battery changes more of a pain than when using a tin that has the regular top lid. FuFu berry?

Last edited:

Nice job on the lasers! Sometimes the best thing to clear the mind is a good laser building marathon. I have a building frenzy planned once my semester ends. :D

Would rep if I could...

Thanks for Sharing it with us Pman ! :beer:

Great pics bud :) And like Styro said ... sometimes building lasers is the best thing to clear the mind :gj:

LPF said I need to spread some rep before giving it to you again lol :)

Last edited:

GSS

Oh my Pman, no one can rep you yet:) To much good stuff if that makes any sense?:beer:

Pman

I'm apparently unREP-able:) Thanks everyone. Things didn't go so great today on the blu-ray sled ($30) that arrived. I set the drivers output and tested with my A/C to DC power supply and then tested the setting with the diode that it was just over 1W and everything worked fine multiple times until I ran it with batteries in the host. Poof. I believe the issue is I really need a driver that will ramp unless someone else has a guess. At least the driver is fine.
Seems that the 1W 405nm is my nemesis. GRRRRRR

Ricker

Thank you Pman for the awesome pictures and how-do! You're a legend to many whether you accept it or not! ;) P.S. I also cannot be your magic 400'er.

GSS

My neewbie self either! Pman mabey you need to charge the batterys in your rep count, it could of spun over a few times:)

Last edited:

Pman

Thanks everyone again:) I'll have to change my name to Pman399 lol

Yeah, BTG, I try to pick up a new tin when I see one. The designs are exactly the same on some of them. I also have a couple more flavors of Jones still with candy in them and 2 Altoids, an Eclipse and a Mentos in that shape although the Mentos is slightly different. Also have a very small Starbucks one and a plastic Icebreakers one besides a few other bigger tins that I have already shown like Altoids and Sucrets.
When I was taking those pics with all of the new ones on at the same time they were on close to a minute so no issues although I wasn't pushing the LPC-826 like I normally do to just over 400mW. They will run around the 250-280mW mark using that AixiZ driver set at max but will push past the 400 mark IF you set the driver just past its stop point before it goes to zero. This requires you to use a couple of LiFePO4 cells though as the extra voltage of 10440 will blow the diode.
The 150mW blu-ray ones are good set just under 160mA to keep them from blowing. They will push up past 180mW but I HIGHLY recommend not doing that as it will likely blow when you turn it on out of the blue.
Haven't blown any of the diodes when the build is complete (only in testing where I cranked the power supply just that tiny bit too much). AS stated my real nemesis seems to be getting a 16x bdr-209 to switch on at 1W off batteries without blowing. DTR has his not set past 600mA and even though the graph shows it is possible to hit 1W I have a few set there and they all land into the low 800mW range. It's human nature to want to hit whole numbers (1W, 2W etc...) even though it's really kind of lame. Most of us must be lame though as we celebrate it when it happens to others too here. I hit 6W peak on my 465nm (470nm according to the chart) though and I haven't seen anyone else hit that high and that's with the driver at 4.8A which tells me I got a freak diode. Too expensive for me to see what it can really do. That one came straight as is from Jordan complete with G2 and external SXD and I made no adjustments. Just luck of the draw as he doesn't bin them;)

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Pman

Thanks. Now if everyone who owes me REP reps me when they can I can get on my way to 500;)
It's not that I care much about it for myself. It's just nice to be able to jump others up more and get them on their way:)
I found this for sale while looking around:
250mW 405nm Blu Ray Blue Violet Laser Diode Module DIY | eBay
At first I thought it was a scam but apparently it's using:
New SF AW210 Laser Pickup Len Has 405nm 6X Blu Ray Power Laser Diode | eBay
Doesn't seem like a bad price for one. Assuming these were used a ways back here.
Edit: just looked at it again today and if I remember correctly the price of it was less than half of that when I originally linked it.

Last edited: