Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PLS Help: Simple Green Laser Modification

sPIT

Hi

i have a simple question to mod a green Laser Pointer, does anybody know this circuit shematic ?? I couldnt mod it by the adjustment of a pot. But there must be a other way to mod it.

Thanks for help

LaZeRz

Probably the only way you could mod it is by changing a resistor on it but it would be difficult, well very difficult plus you will probably end up frying your laser....

You CAN but it will take a lot of effort and probably wreck your laser so i wouldnt reccomend it :D

HIMNL9

That is a simple "totem" fixed current driver ..... the resistor of 1 ohm (the one marked 1R0 near the power transistor) sets the current ..... changing it, you can change the current, low resistor = high current ..... but BE CAREFUL, if you set it too high, you may easily kill the diode.

sPIT

yeah ..nice thx

whats a realitic resistor value

soldering is no problem for me

or could i bypass the ic or use a higher input voltage ??

HIMNL9

No, you need first to know what is the maximum current that the IR pump diode can hold, then you can calculate the value ..... anyway, consider a thing: those cheap pointers are, usually, always set at the maximum power that the diode can give, so you have a good 50 to 75% probability to kill it, also just increasing the actual current of 15 or 20% ..... does this worth the risk ?

I'm guessing this is from a cheapy 5mW pen from somewhere?

If that is the case then the pump diode is probably already maxed out, or near it. Turning up the current will do very little to change the output, and if anything, serve only to increase the heat output, and by extension, affecting the stability of the cavity components.

You may be lucky- they may have just used a 300mW pump that's been turned down. In any case we have no way of knowing for sure.