Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Please Help with my first Laser Purchase

So I'm in the market for an ILDA RGB Laser projector. Upon my research I know i want the modulation to be analog. I want Scanner to be at least 30K. My budget is about 1000, more or less (pref less obviously). I will be using Ether Dream with Touchdesigner:

https://ether-dream.com/

I've been here lurking around and I found that my best bet if for a Chinese brand form either Goldenstar or LightSpace. I am now deciding between these three:

Venus OEM 1,800
D-RGB3000-A
Professional series

What is your opinion? Maybe there is another brand worth considering? Is 30K vs 40K a huge difference? Need to buy this asap, for a show. Thanks.

Encap

First off--please make a Welcome post in the Welcome sub-forum and indicate you location on the planet in your profile.

Where are you located?

If in the USA you can't just go buy one of those and legally use it in a show where people other than you will see it and the cost of the projector is only one of costs in time and money to be able to legally do a laser light show.

"The FDA regulates any laser shows done in public or “entered into commerce,” that use lasers over 5 milliwatts.
If you do a show in your home, for friends and family, this would NOT be under FDA jurisdiction (though of course you should still use safe equipment and procedures.) The laser equipment must be reported to FDA by the manufacturer, and the laser show user or operator must obtain a “variance” which gives permission to “vary” from FDA’s normal laser power requirements."
see: http://www.lasershowsafety.info/us-laws.html

Safety is the most important aspect of Laser Light Show projector use. If you don't want to be an "accident looking for a place to happen"
The more important thing to consider is what you intend to do with it and the FDA Laws, Rules, and Regulations governing and concerning use if you are in the USA.
If you intend to use it only indoors at home for yourself family and friends then you are probably OK---for any other legal use, there are a lot of regulations and paperwork to do and requirements for the safety aspects. You will probably will need the services of a professional certified Laser Safety Officer ( LSO) to do all the paperwork to avoid serious fines and also liability for anything that happens to anyone because of your "laser projector"

From FDA Guidance here: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/MedicalDevices/DeviceRegulationandGuidance/GuidanceDocuments/ucm094448.pdf
"all manufacturers of Class IIIb and IV laser light shows and laser light show projectors must have approved variances from us to perform laser light shows and
introduce laser light show projectors into U.S. commerce."
China has no regulations--you need to ask either of the vendors if the item you want has a US FDA variance if not and you import a device you are considered the manufacturer and must submit all the required paperwork to be able to use it anywhere but at home.

See section, Laws, Regulations, & Standards here: https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emittingproducts/radiationemittingproductsandprocedures/homebusinessandentertainment/ucm118907.htm

See: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ReportsManualsForms/Forms/UCM081634.pdf

See: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ReportsManualsForms/Forms/UCM080788.pdf

Last edited:
Defender of the underdog, welcome back to posting again diachi, please take a look in the vets section regarding the ArcticDude host I had machined for several long term vets, if you want one just let me know.

If you want answers about projectors, try the photonlexicon group, although seems most of them are sleeping lately, low activity there.

Encap

Obviously, if he knew what he was doing he wouldn't be here asking for help. :rolleyes: Doesn't mean we need to point it out.

Welcome back, diachi. I understand what you mean, edited that bit out since you took issue with the style-- however...

Was meant as a a question although I forgot the question mark.
Maybe true or not true--he could easily say which it is in any reply.

Instead of just ignoring the post, I did try to give him a heads-up on laser light show laws, rules, and regulations being that he indicated it was a first laser and his intention is to do a laser light show---he is talking about a 3.5W laser projector and exposing other people to it.

Tried to give responsible information and links so he can investigate what he wants to perpetrate and avoid putting himself and others in harms way.
That was the purpose and a responsible response given the situation.

The concern was about what he put in his post-- the possibility of causing harm to himself or other out of ignorance not the which emotional puddle, if any, he lives in aspect.

Last edited:
It's fine, I don't take that personally. I appreciate any help. I can tell that Encap actually put a lot of time and effort into their response. Anyways the event is sponsored by a bigger company, but the budget for the event (500+ persons /50x100 foot space) is over so I'm trying to see what I can do with $1000.00. All the required paper work can be dealt with. Thanks

Obviously, if he knew what he was doing he wouldn't be here asking for help. :rolleyes: Doesn't mean we need to point it out.

Hi, Adam. It is great to see you posting here again. Sure have missed your daily posts. +Rep., buddy. :yh:

.... I don't like to give advice when it appears that someone is getting into powers that are very dangerous and depending upon WHERE the OP resides more or less illegal--
Your price point is for a 1W MAX and TTL not analogue.
.... its also nice when new members come here with respect and manners.. an introduction before asking for 'instant' help would be nice. ... same with a completed personal profile.

The projector/lasershow forum is where you need to ask about any good deals on gently used projectors-- 5 nice ones were offered there an great prices by a member leaving lasers--- too bad you missed out--post a WTB over there in the BS&T section-- its always better to buy from a trusted forum vet..

Yes, PhotonLexicon is where I would ask for a used projector as they are mostly a projector crowd over there. I have been a member since 2013, but post seldom there.

Last edited:
Take a look at x laser units.. Adam the owner is a great guy and will help you get your paper work together as well... what software you plan on using. Lsx is fairly cheap and works with etherdream and other dacs..
I was just playing with my 3.4watt kvant last night at a family bbq.. good times be safe.. don't croud scan. And do your homework

Yes, PhotonLexicon is where I would ask for a used projector as they are mostly a projector crowd over there. I have been a member since 2013, but post seldom there.

You aren't the only one who seldom posts there, I think that's true for all of their members! But, if you have projector questions, ask away, you might just peak someones interest and cause activity.

Take a look at x laser units.. Adam the owner is a great guy and will help you get your paper work together as well... what software you plan on using. Lsx is fairly cheap and works with etherdream and other dacs..
I was just playing with my 3.4watt kvant last night at a family bbq.. good times be safe.. don't croud scan. And do your homework

^^ great advice X Laser is one of the very few who will force you to go 'legal' they can fast-track you into a legal varianced deal.

This makes it legal for both you and the PJ seller-- they (Xlaser)do almost all the paper work for you ( no choice unless you already have your operators variance and same for the projector.).. what happens if you do not go 'legal'??
not much unless you are unlucky OR you get a gig that a varianced OP wanted or had-- they are within all rights to report you and you will need to get the paper done or move on.. Once reported the FDA is legally bound to check you out.
Its kinda like Gypsy cabs- grey area of legality. chancy for sure.

For home parties dont worry but for any paying gigs-- you never know.

IIRC you would also need a show plan and insurance too.

AND if anyone wants to sue you for eye injury those way-cool vids at YTube become awesome evidence. but no too awesome for laser owners.:yabbmad: