Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PL-E mini 465nm 1.4W review

puffphoto

Hello! I've had my PL-E Mini 465nm 1.4W laser for over a week now and I thought I would write down my impressions. It's my first "serious" laser beyond a red <5mW pointer.

If you followed my last post, you know that I ordered a PL-E mini from JetLasers about a month ago. Unfortunately, that laser was a lemon and would only power on to a very low wattage without any of the functionality of the coded switch. Fortunately, however, I bought from a reputable company that stands behind their product and JetLasers was very supportive from the start and quickly decided to send me a replacement laser. My replacement laser shipped very quickly and arrived about a week ago, this time with a mechanical switch which works great and has superior functionality over the coded switch in my opinion.

So, here are a few categories I'll mention in this short review. Keep in mind I don't have anything to compare it to! So take it with a grain of salt.

Build Quality: 9/10

Both the host and the beam extender are large, solid, and well made. All the threads that hold things together are deeply cut and fit without any wiggle whatsoever Putting the beam extender on feels like screwing on a silencer to a pistol... its a lot of thread but it makes it feel well made and substantial. The black finish looks great but will come off if you accidentally scratch the laser with something sharp.

The buttons on the side and the tailpiece especially all click strongly, helping to prevent accidental firings and they feel like they will last a long time. I did find it strange that the momentary on button (the small button on the side) hangs loose when held upside down. Not sure why they would do that beyond maybe giving it a different tactile feel to the other button in case you are operating it in the dark.

Focus Ring: 8/10

I love the functionality of the focus ring. It helps a lot to pinpoint that strong 1.4W beam at distances up to 75 feet or just make the beam wider without the extender. It does turn quite easily, something that I am still getting used to. The slightest push and it will lose focus. Strangely, the lemon laser that I first received had more resistance (way too much) and was impractical to use because you couldn't turn it without moving the beam all over the place.... SO, I understand why they made it so light on the replacement (I believe most of them come light) but still will need to get used to how light it is. Ideally just a little more resistance would be great.

Beam Expander: 10/10

Great accessory. It widens the beam considerably and has a secondary focus ring. The focus ring on the beam expander rotates more than 10 times, so I am guessing it will increase the reach of the beam with an acceptable divergence considerably (its a 10X) Well made.

First shot outdoors w/o beam expander (backstop are big maple trees)

Second shot outdoors with the beam expander

465nm and 1.4W: 10/10

465nm is a very pleasant blue. It's what I think of when I think of the color blue... pure sky blue. Different from an ocean blue (unless you're in parts of the Mediterranean or tropics) Great color. The power output at 1.4W is PLENTY for my use. Lights matches instantly, burns cardboard from 5 feet away, burns hair off my arm, and is very visible. Here's a shot of the beam indoors with the lights off. The camera makes it more purple than it is in real life.

JetLasers Customer Service: 10/10

I had problems with this order. I received a lemon, shipped all the way from China. The seller easily could have ignored me and I could have done nothing about it besides write a bad review that maybe a few people would read. Thankfully, Gray over at Jetlasers offers really great support. It may take a little back and forth because of the time difference, but he will work with you to resolve issues you may have and delivers what he promises. I was very pleased with my replacement laser being shipped so quickly, and the fact that I didn't have to ask for one. He just went ahead and put the order in when he saw a video I sent of the lemon. So I appreciate that. He also offered to pay for the extra batteries I bought to trouble shoot the lemon. The best part of this experience is that I ended up with a mechanical switch instead of the code switch. The functionality of the mechanical switch is superb. Tailpiece to power on. Dedicated button to activate.. and dedicated button for momentary on. It's everything you need without the headaches of a code switch which is where I think the problem was in the first laser. Overall very pleased with the company I bought from.

That's it! thanks for reading. Happy to get into this hobby, been enjoying my first 'real' laser a lot.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice review and cool beams, glad to see that you're happy with your first Jetlasers product! :)

Unfortunately, you have found out first hand why we say that J/L's customer service is top notch, and can't be beat.
Just knowing that this level of support is available makes the decision to buy future lasers from J/L a no brainer.
Glad to see that you've now got the mechanical switch; a much better option in my opinion.

puffphoto

Nice review and cool beams, glad to see that you're happy with your first Jetlasers product! :)

Unfortunately, you have found out first hand why we say that J/L's customer service is top notch, and can't be beat.
Just knowing that this level of support is available makes the decision to buy future lasers from J/L a no brainer.
Glad to see that you've now got the mechanical switch; a much better option in my opinion.

Yes I am so happy about accidentally ending up with the mechanical switch... especially for a class IV laser at 1.4W. The momentary on/off switch is a great safety feature, and much more useful I think than a strobe effect. And yes, hats off to JL! They'll be getting my business again when I am ready for a green laser :)

Encap

Glad to hear Gray got everything sorted out for you in short order and that you are happy with the laser.
Gray really goes out of his way to have only happy customers-- best customer service of any manufacturer of lasers.
Buying from JetLasers is well worth the few extra pennys in terms of the comfort of owning a high quality product and JL support both before and after purchase.

Nice photos and review of great laser--- remember always safety first especially eye safety is rule #1.

That was a very good review. I wonder why JL doesn't seem to have the problems that Sanwu claims to have over the conflict in Hong Kong? There have been several complaints over Sanwu's service lately. I'm very glad you are happy and got what you were hoping for.

Encap

That was a very good review. I wonder why JL doesn't seem to have the problems that Sanwu claims to have over the conflict in Hong Kong? There have been several complaints over Sanwu's service lately. I'm very glad you are happy and got what you were hoping for.

Would guess it is a local sensitive problem that has to do with Sanwu being a Hong Kong company + whatever other business problems---address is : 16 Hao, Fan Jia Bang Lu, Shun Yang Gong Ye Yuan, Hua Qiao Zhen, Kunshan, Jiangsu, 215300, CHINA, PRC, Hong Kong S.A.R.

JetLasers manufactiring is in Xian, Shaanxi Province, 710000 1431 km by air and road distance is 1788.1 km from Hong Kong and has offices in Qingdao, Shandong, 266000 as well 1635 km by air and 1925 km by road from HK

Last edited:
great posts.
tyvm
JL afaik has been around longer,
They seem to have everything covered.
Delivery is the fastest available.

HOWEVER during the long holidays--shipping will be slow--search Holidays in China and Hongkong.
Ordering right before these is NOT reccomended.
JL seems to work during these .... but there is more involved aside from JL.
Also some lasers may not be in stock so JL needs extra time to build one for you.
After all ---JL has no crystal ball-- and they do not know if your choice can be made until it is ordered.

You can ask Gray about current in-stock items before you order.

IF you are considering more items, including BEs etc.
JL does not charge more for a bigger order--its $38 regardless of the number of items ordered.

You can post a feeler to see in any others want to order with yours as re-shipping within CONUS will be cheaper and they can pay a share of the $38 plus re-shipping. I did >10 JL GBs of 10 or more lasers. Never an opened box--no inspections.
THis was one way I was able to help others in the form of a GB. Once I got them , they were inspected and metered.
THUS any problems evident will be addressed sooner. BUT issues have been VERY RARE.

In fact,, only one PL-C 532nm (most popular of all JLs I have GB ordered... SADLY the problem happened after it was reshipped AND the buyer was one of everyone's best friends here and the last person I wanted to let down,,,, Gray Expressed shipped a replacement laser w/o the need to get the defective one back first, the story does have a good ending and DTR (Jordan) was happy with the way it all ended.

I have the same MINI Pro-PLE and IMHO it is the finest laser EVER from Gray/JL.

I highly suggest that you order the Mini BE along with your Mini.. It is screwed on. and it needs no extra work to get the best beam. I leave my BE on the laser all the time-- it keeps the front lens in the laser clean.

hak

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I agree with you, Len, I also have that same laser, and it's one of my favorites for sure; I still love my Ti-B's though, there is nothing else like them! :)

puffphoto

Nice photos and review of great laser--- remember always safety first especially eye safety is rule #1.

Thanks, its a great product, made the review something I looked forward to. Yes, safety first. I have goggles that I use if there's any chance of a reflection where I'll be aiming, or if i'm looking at the dot for extended periods (burning stuff... ) But I have to say the color is mesmerizing and its nice to look at once in a while!

puffphoto

I agree with you, Len, I also have that same laser, and it's one of my favorites for sure; I still love my Ti-B's though, there is nothing else like them! :)

Hey I see you have the same laser as me (if thats what the list in your signature represents :unsure:) Have a question for you.. what's the runtime on a fresh set of batteries at full power? i.e if I put fully charged batteries in, do I get the full 1.4W until their dead? or is there a drop off after say 5 minutes of use? I don't have a power meter... but I bet you do! 😬

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, I have the exact same laser, here is a review that I made when I received it "Jetlasers 465nm 1.4W Mini".
To be honest with you, I've never run a set of batteries in it till they were completely discharged.
I do have an LPM, and IIRC, my laser was just a bit over spec, but don't hold me to that, it's been quite a while! ;)

Edit - I should have looked in my own sig., I said at the time that it was 1.64W.

puffphoto

Yes, I have the exact same laser, here is a review that I made when I received it "Jetlasers 465nm 1.4W Mini".
To be honest with you, I've never run a set of batteries in it till they were completely discharged.
I do have an LPM, and IIRC, my laser was just a bit over spec, but don't hold me to that, it's been quite a while! ;)

Edit - I should have looked in my own sig., I said at the time that it was 1.64W.

I guess it stands to reason that it runs full power until the batteries are discharged, otherwise it would probably be common knowledge by now that a half charged battery only makes a half power laser haha!

I saw your review of the laser before purchasing... its a good one!