Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pimp my laser

Howdy, I'm new to LPF so if there are already threads according to my question, please share the link.

Alright, I just bought a beautiful handheld focusable laser and it claims to have a power of <800mW.
I actually estimate it to have <5mW because it can't burn anything. Even after experimenting with its focus.
So, do you know a method how I can get this bad boy to burn matches etc.?
And how would you remove the module from the housing? ..pot modding is a method everytime..

Pics:

Gabe

I think it could still be more than 5 mW, so be careful. Yeah, link to where you bought it, and do you have a pic of it running?

CraigM

That diode looks like the same one that's in a 303 eBay laser I bought a while back. I would guess that mine is somewhere between 50-100Mw

I bought it offline, on a kind of asian market in Czech Republic. She wanted 35€ (appr. $50) for it but I got it for 15€ (appr. $20) because of my good bargaining skills :D .

$20 for such a big laser with 50-100mW seems a bit too low-priced for me. The asians there want to make profit. That's another reason why I'm estimating it not to have such a strong diode.

@Gabe
Yes, I shot some pics of it running:

diachi

That diode looks like the same one that's in a 303 eBay laser I bought a while back. I would guess that mine is somewhere between 50-100Mw

The output end of the green modules in many pointers looks the same (Just about all of them, if not *all* of them, have a concave lens on the end before the collimating lens) but the internals may look completely different.

okay, I just found out, that the laser WILL let electrical tape and black couloured wood/matches smoke with the smallest possible focus (max possible distance between the laser and the tape/object: 1 inch). It wont burn a match yet and with this focus option, the beam/point is not beautiful (aka too big) on a longer distance .

diachi

okay, I just found out, that the laser WILL let electrical tape and black couloured wood/matches smoke with the smallest possible focus (max possible distance between the laser and the tape/object: 1 inch). It wont burn a match yet and with this focus option, the beam/point is not beautiful (aka too big) on a longer distance .

Colour the match head black with a sharpie, that may be all you need.

As for the beam being too big at a longer distance, that's what happens when you focus the beam closer to the aperture. No way around it really.

I did that of course.

Yeah sure.
I was just wondering if there are any further tricks to boost up its power.

Pman

What was already suggested is all you are going to get unless your batteries are not correct or fully charged.