Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pictures! yay

cust11

So I finally decided to take a couple quick pictures. GFs camera isn't that great though :yabbmad:. a powershot SD630 6mp :(

Both pictures are of the PHR-803T @ 156mA. There is no smoke and no touch-ups done to the picture. This is exactly how the camera saw the beam. Sorry for the bad pictures though.. I could only slow the shutter down so far.

-Mike

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Good shots! Those shots do show the beam! :) Try a tripod and all dark surroundings.

cust11

Good shots! Those shots do show the beam! :) Try a tripod and all dark surroundings.

I did the lighted shots to show how visible the beam is without smoke or fog. I don't think her camera has a slow enough shutter speed to take really dark shots. I will have to try though. I have my eye on a rebel XSi with a sweet macro lens....but... meh.. it isn't free.

-Mike

I guess a macro lens would help with my other hobby as well.

Below: acan lordhowensis a large polyp stoney coral. This frag has approx 25 polyps now :D

Attachments

• IMG_3004.JPG
    IMG_3004.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Alert----off topic, is that coral from your fish tank? i have a salt water too.

Heh Heh ... The world just keeps getting smaller - I used to work with International Seaboard (the company that develpoed the original "minireef" technology), and actually owned a midsize distributorship here in SE Wisconsin where we direct-imported corals, live rock, live sand, herps, etc. (In fact, my saltwater experience predates protein skimmers, wet-dry filtration, flourescent actinic lighting, and even powerhead-driven undergravel filtration!) ... I used to breed and show Cichlids with the ACA, too - Brings me back....

Oh yeah - topic, oops ....

Mike - I'll take some more beamshots for you if you'd like once the laser gets here, I have a Fuji F10 that absolutely adores 405nm for some reason, OK?

Not to hijack, but I did a symposium at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago in 1990 and had the chance to work directly with Albert Thiel, here's an autographed copy of "Small Reef Aquarium Basics" first edition, published way back when "Coralife" became "Energy Savers Unlimited" and began distributing their original hardware lines ... (Took a little digging on the bookshelves to find it, MAN it;s been awhile!)

thiel.jpg

cust11

Wow Dale! we have a lot in common. My current setup is a 55 gallon with 20 gallon sump with all the goodies. Under 2 20,000k radium mh bulbs which are amazing!! dont worry you cannot hijack my thread. Some beam shots would be great! gogo posting on phone

Too bad you weren't closer, I still have (2) 120's and (6) 70's drilled for standpipes and returns just sitting in the basement storage room awaiting my return to the hobby in one form or another... pretty easy swap out for your 55 equipment! When I got out of the hobby, the heat from MH's was still being countered with the CF's, but I've always been a pendant fan, in fact I still have the hood from my 220 reef that was (2) 175w MH 10k and (8) CF actinics, the 20k bulbs were just becoming affordable when I got out of the business!

I hope the laser gets here by Wed, I can get some GREAT beamshots at our Wed show as we use hazers there (it's a 9000 ft2 club, so the heat-foggers just don't cut it consistantly)

cust11

Aww they wont even notice my pathetic PHR in a club that big :p. You should sell me one of those 70's :D Are they 48" long and just deeper? Anyways.. back to topic. I think I had already mentioned that the PHR is now at 156mA so I wouldn't go much over a 45/45 or 60/60 duty cycle considering it is barley heatsinked (and thermal'd). I can't wait to see what kind of power it is making! I am pretty sure you will have it in the morning. Also,, check you PMs

-Mike