Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

pics 5/17 & 5/24

These pics were taken over the past two weeks. They are mostly of a rainbow configuration. For some I used a mirror to reflect the beams back toward the lasers, and eventually added a plasma globe (for the pics posted here it was turned off) and got some nice distorted reflections off the globe. The second batch are pretty much the same, as I wanted to tweak a few things I did in the previous week and try some different mirror angles. On a few, a nice rainbow effect appears on the edge of the mirror. There are also some pics using a 473nm, and my 589nm mixed in. Lastly, I had wanted to shoot all of my 532nm / 520nm together and finally got around to doing it using the ring stand and clamps. I then added a few colors in. I think in the future I will have to try the same shots using multiple lasers of the same color in blue and in red.
Enjoy

Last edited:

gismo

A double bill pleasing an eye of the watcher this May weekend in Multimedia section:beer:. Rainbow shots combos are great, but to see the green wavelength on its own in a multiple raw reflection feels cool as well.

:kewlpics:

Well done ……… AGAIN Bruce. I do like your collection of lab stands and rotating mirrors. How can you afford to buy them and Lasers? lol I was also thinking that it might be a little tricky if not downright dangerous setting up these shots, all them beams shooting off in different directions and all. Can you wear safety glasses and still see whats going on???
:beer:

Thanks Gismo!!

Thanks Busman - I am very careful when setting everything up. Usually I will get everything in place before I even turn on a laser. Once set up and the lasers are turned on one by one, and then only having to make minor adjustments to get the lasers and optics in the exact positions to create the desired effect. The beams are really not bouncing around, but are very controlled. . Once I am set up, and the lasers turned on, and shot into optics , it is a very static and safe environment to shoot in without glasses. So when I am ready to shoot, the only thing moving is me and my tripod/camera, the lasers and all of the beams are all stationary. I am very safe in what I do, but always have to respect the dangers that are always present.

Yes I guess all of this come with "Knowing" what you are doing. For some of us there would be a bit of trial and error happening until we have done it enough to get to the stage of "Knowing!" Thanks for sharing Bruce, some more +rep when I can!

IsaacT

I love this. All of this. By the way, do you ever get grain or noise in your laser photos? A lot of times the look great until I blow the pics up to a similar size as my 23" monitor, and then they look noisy. Could this simply be a lack of data from my comparatively low megapixel sensor? Or is there some trick to avoiding this noise? I have tried using ultra low ISO but it doesn't seem to help.

DB8088

I may have missed it, but what type of monitor are you using?

The yellow really is the final piece of the puzzle, isn't it? It'll be a while before I can get one, but I should be able to do some nice RRGGBV outdoor shots this summer :)

Lovely photos as always :beer:

DB8088

Yellow, orange...I see both 589 and 593.5, I believe. They are great colors, which I'm happy to say I own. My first purchase was 445, and yellow was the holy grail for me, but eventually I managed to get both. Once again, your pics are fantastic!

Hey Marco Polo - yes, yellow (one strong enough) was the last piece to fill in my rainbow. I do have a 589 5 mw and have gotten some nice rainbow (and other shots) pics using it, but it really isn't strong enough to cut through the other colors. The 50 mw I now have is certainly bright enough for my needs. Last week I was able to get 6 more burette clamp, so more lasers in the rainbow. Last night I photographed a 405, 460, 473, 520, 532, 589, 638, and 650nm rainbow. They pics came out nice, but a yellow surrounded by 2 reds and 2 greens loses a little. I think my next rainbow attempt will be using my 589nm 5mw and 593.5nm 6mw. Since they are low power, I will have to turn down the shutters on my Laserbtb lasers to balance the light from the lasers. That would be 1 violet, 2 blue, 2 green, 2 yellow, and 2- red. I know it require a long exposure time and some work, but that is my next endeavor. I look foward to seeing your outdoor shots in the near future.

DB8088 - even though I have both a 589 (50mw and 5mw) and a 593.5 6mw, the 593 was not used in these pics as it is not bright enough. Many times when the 589 is bouncing around mirror, and other optics, it does get a 593.5nm look to it. If you read above in my comment to Marco Polo, I will be trying to shoot a rainbow using the 589 and 593 plus 7 other nm's

upaa27

Wow what beautiful photos. What diode are you using for the orange one?

IsaacT

Wow what beautiful photos. What diode are you using for the orange one?

Orange and Yellow lasers use a Diode Pumped Solid State design that is not easily built from scratch. He is not really using a "diode" in the orange one. Instead it was manufactured by CNI by putting an 808nm diode behind an Nd:YVO4 crystal. The light from the 808nm pump diode excites the atoms in the Nd:YVO4 crystal to lase at two different wavelengths: 1064nm and 1342nm. These wavelengths of light pass through a nonlinear crystal, in this case KTP, and undergo Sum Frequency Generation, wherein their frequencies are summed to produce a new frequency.

1/1064 + 1/1342 = 1/593.5

That is how this laser functions. Like us, there is more to them than meets the eye.

DB8088

This is true, Issac, (having recently bought an orange, I read up on it!) but to uppa27, if you read the thread you'll read brucemir didn't use orange in any pics. He stated it wouldn't have been bright enough. But I for one look forward to his next pics using the 593.5!!

DB8088

Looking forward to it, brucemir! May I ask you where I could get a hold of an Optronics Lens and Prism Kit? I've searched, but no luck...:(