Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

phosphorescence and Blu-ray

After I got my Blu-ray laser a few months ago, I thoroughly entertained myself by shining it onto the phosphorescent screen of my CRT television with the lights turned out; leaving a [brief] glow-in-the-dark trail on the screen. Then naturally (as I'm sure many of you have probably already done) I shined the Blu-ray laser onto any glow-in-the-dark items that I could think of.

But last week, I came across a phosphorescent material that I did not expect to be phosphorescent. I was at Treasure Island hotel in Las Vegas. The marble/stone counter top and floor in the bathroom of my room was phosphorescent. The marble/stone itself was cream-colored. Although it was not phosphorescent to the extent that a CRT television screen is (i.e., the phosphorescent trail disappeared within, probably, 1/4 second) a glowing trail was still apparent.

Anyone have any idea what type of rock/stone this counter top and floor are made of? Anyway, the next time you're in Vegas in a room at Treasure Island, be sure to have your Blu-ray laser with you. :)

only tried it with my CRT TV, sorry.

although i do have a not-quite-GITD ball.

when i shine a blu-ray to it, it kinda charges for a second and then quickly discharges when i take it out, a line from the dot can be seen but for around 1/8 of a second.

daguin

mathyou9 said:
Anyone have any idea what type of rock/stone this counter top and floor are made of? Anyway, the next time you're in Vegas in a room at Treasure Island, be sure to have your Blu-ray laser with you. :)

Feldspar can be phosphorescent. Most "granites" are composed of quartz, feldspar, biotite mica and garnet (from a pegmatite).

Limestone can also display phosphorescence.

Your "marble" floor could have been made with either of those natural materials. "Marble" can also be a man-made material or mix. If it was a artificial material, it could have been one of many binding agents or material inclusion.

Peace,
dave