Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Phlatlight driver

Pman

So. Its been quite awhile since I've posted as my interests have turned to drone stuff. However I've always wanted to build a powerful Phlatlight and have some sitting around and one in particular that I "need" to do something with.
I already have a 5A green phlatlight maglight build that is a PT-54. You will just have to take my word that it's quite a shock just how bright that much green is. What I also have is a green PT-120 or 121 that is WAY WAY brighter and can easily draw close to 40 Amps if you let it. Ive tested this with multiple Samsung 25r in a parallel setup.
What I cant seem to find is a a phlatlight LED driver rated any higher than 7.5A. I ordered one from China for about $10 this morning as I've got other phlatlights I could use it with but there must be a DC driver out there that could supply between 4-5V at 30A although 20A would be satisfactory.
I dont expect there is one that is something that could go into a flashlight type host so I'm really looking at putting it into a project box with a properly rated switch. I'm not really expecting to run it for more than a minute and it's really a shock value thing more than a flashlight type thing.
I dont know if it's possible to parallel drivers or not as theres always slight differences between the same drivers.
Of course I'm looking to pay as little as possible so theres that too.
SO, any ideas? Theres no such thing as this cant be done and I know for a fact theres some really slick electronics guys here;)

Sorry I havent been around but life stirs the pot and things change. Visiting my 2 grandsons at the moment (2 years and a 5 week old):)
I havent combined lasers and drones as I think its asking for a LOT of trouble. Been modding drones though with interesting LED combinations lately. Sometime in the next few months I expect to be buying either a Yuneec typhoon H plus real sense or a DJI mavic 2 zoom purchase but we will see as it would obliterate all the personal cash I've been saving.

I have a power supply for my 532nm 1300 mW laser that supplies 5 volts at 20 amps. This is a SMPS and they have been on eBay for awhile at very reasonable prices. I haven't looked recently, but I believe they were <$20.00 each.

Pman

I have a power supply for my 532nm 1300 mW laser that supplies 5 volts at 20 amps. This is a SMPS and they have been on eBay for awhile at very reasonable prices. I haven't looked recently, but I believe they were <$20.00 each.

Do you have a link to it? I'm assuming its DC to DC right? Can you adjust both V and A? I believe my phlatlight is rated for 4.8V and 30A max. 20A should be nasty enough and would be easier on the batteries. For $20 I'm way more than interested and would buy one in a heartbeat. What kind of size is one of these?

Pman

Sorry for the double post but wanted to say Hi to everyone and also yup, second grandchild and second grandson:) It appears he has some kind of hearing issue as he keeps failing basic hearing tests and is getting the next test Monday. We know he can hear at least out of one ear because we did a pot bang test which is something they used to do in the old days. You just stand behind him with a pot and spoon while another person looks at his face yo see if he reacts and he absolutely jumped when it was hit hard but also blinked right on cue when not hit as hard so hes definately not dead. The tests hospitals use involve electrode type stick on sensors and he hasnt passed one of those yet.
I think the next test might involve putting him to sleep as he cant move during it and testing with sensors but I'm not sure.
I'm really sorry if it seemed like I abandoned everyone as th as t was never my intention. It wasnt like one day I decided I'm done with lasers. There was just so much other stuff going on and it's just what happened. As I said I've got all my lasers and meters and building stuff. Someone is going to have to put any innovations or cool stuff that I missed into a post for me so I can catch up. I dont have the energy to look it all up.

Do you have a link to it? I'm assuming its DC to DC right? Can you adjust both V and A? I believe my phlatlight is rated for 4.8V and 30A max. 20A should be nasty enough and would be easier on the batteries. For $20 I'm way more than interested and would buy one in a heartbeat. What kind of size is one of these?

I'm sorry, Peter. That supply is not adjustable. It is just a switched mode power supply to give one +5 volts at 20 amps if needed. To have a current limiting supply would cost much more, I'm afraid.

Pman

Heres what I ordered for $16 from Amazon that's supposed to arrive tomorrow:
DZS Elec 20A DC-DC Step Down Buck Converter Module 6-40V to1.2-35V Adjustable Constant Voltage Constant Current Power Supply 300W Large Power Voltage Regulator Synchronous Rectification LED Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8BTZW5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4NRCCb888YX3C

Would like to find a 30A + one though if it works out. I actually still have 2 green PT-120/121 to mess with. Sold a third I had to someone here a couple years ago and kind of regret it as they are not easy to come by unless you spend quite a lot. Have 1 red and blue big one too that I will build something with too but they are no where near the brightness of a green. You wouldn't believe the output of a green at around 40A. Hard to explain just how much brighter green appears in comparison to any other color including white. You would not like getting a face full of my 1000 lumen Jayrob PT-54 maglight that runs off a couple of failing or king Kong monster cells (forgeotthe number).

Searching again it appears at least on Amazon that they dont have and buck ones higher th han 20A. Lots of choices if you need 12V and of course lots of options if you can run it off 120V AC.

Oh and Hi again to everyone including Peter:) Sorry again for such a long hiatus.

Last edited:

Pman

I just realized looking back through the PT-54 Jayrob green phlatlight maglight information that it's actually getting 9 amps and not 5 like I thought for 1000lm. That's consistent with the data sheets. If i could find a 30A driver the one I want to make is rated at 4000lm and with the 20A that is hopefully coming today will do about 3200lm.
The reference drive current is 20A and the test peak drive current is 30A so I would be over driving it but so what;)

totally off topic Pete but I was playing with that RiverRock 100mw 532nm I bought from you two years ago and its still running great! that Streamlight 98mw stylus I don't use much because its too nice to play with :) so glad to see you on here because I wasn't getting on in months and missed all you all. ;)