Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please sub

Got mine today - also confirming 593.5nm. You'll probably have better luck revising the listings for a known wavelength to search for. Feel free to use my spectro measurements below or to ask for cleaner ones as these are a bit sloppily cut

I'm pretty convinced this is the usual yvo4 process now. I'm getting 8mW of visible light out. I first rescued it from baking in my mailbox and it only did 532. After I stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes it finally spat out yellow.

The spectro jumps between 593.3 and 593.7 which at that point is at the limit of its resolution. Take the average, and... yeah. It reports the same for a known 'real' 593.5 lab and LG Rigel/CNI GLP pen. Can provide measurements of those if needed, just didn't bother to screenshot them. These are not IR filtered, so you will have a bunch of 808 and deeper IR to filter out yourselves. These leak both 532 and 671 as well. Some proof:
View attachment 76077
View attachment 76078
View attachment 76079

For some more subjective info, it likes it cold. Once you have it on for a minute or two it eventually just gives up on yellow entirely and only leaks some 532, which eventually fades to nothing at all. While it's on you'll see the brightness jump and dip wildly. Much more typical of yv04 than the SFD crystals which in my experience have been very stable. If you're in a warmer area or like it warm inside, you may have some trouble with these.

I wasn't able to take it apart to confirm if this uses a single crystal or two crystals, or what the crystal is made of with any proof. I just suspect it is yvo4 because its behavior is in line with my rigel and labby startup. The aperture is too small for my camera to peek inside, and I do not want to ruin the host, break it or even risk the chance it is something hygroscopic, so that's as far as I go.

Let me know if I missed anything.

I can also confirm 593nm on the one I tested so far. Mine also switches between 593nm and 532nm often which is kinda weird. Seems like it needs to warm up for a few seconds at first but then after a while it just goes green. The green is much less power than the orange as well.

1682620348036.png

Already says out of stock... did you buy them all? LOL
LOL I bought 2, not the whole stock.
I can also confirm 593nm on the one I tested so far. Mine also switches between 593nm and 532nm often which is kinda weird. Seems like it needs to warm up for a few seconds at first but then after a while it just goes green. The green is much less power than the orange as well.
Yeah same behavior, I'm guessing this is an attempt at a driver soft start. Are you using AAA's or a 10440 and a spacer? The latter works pretty well for me.

LOL I bought 2, not the whole stock.

Yeah same behavior, I'm guessing this is an attempt at a driver soft start. Are you using AAA's or a 10440 and a spacer? The latter works pretty well for me.
I haven't tried the 10440 yet. The listing said 3 or 3.6 volt so I was a little weary about using a charged 10440 which would be 4.2v but I will give it a go and see what happens.

The pointers finally came in, the "561" measures in at 559nm and the "591" comes in at the expected 593.5nm with both the red and green lines. Using some soft jaws in the vice you can pull the module and driver out of the pen host. The shiny gold tip just unscrews from the module after that.

594-apart.jpg

Chrome-594.jpg

Another wavelength added to my chrome pen collection!

Why is 593.5nm so inexpressive all of sudden?

Sowee7

The pointers finally came in, the "561" measures in at 559nm and the "591" comes in at the expected 593.5nm with both the red and green lines. Using some soft jaws in the vice you can pull the module and driver out of the pen host. The shiny gold tip just unscrews from the module after that.

594-apart.jpg

Chrome-594.jpg

Another wavelength added to my chrome pen collection!

Why is 593.5nm so inexpressive all of sudden?
These 593.5nm lasers use MCAs, the frequency summing crystal and the Nd:YVO4 have been glued together and the mirrors have been coated onto the ends, this removes the need for careful alignment of the seperate optics, they also use very low powered pumps, only about 300mw, they are constructed very similarly to a cheap 532nm pen laser

These 593.5nm lasers use MCAs, the frequency summing crystal and the Nd:YVO4 have been glued together and the mirrors have been coated onto the ends, this removes the need for careful alignment of the seperate optics, they also use very low powered pumps, only about 300mw, they are constructed very similarly to a cheap 532nm pen laser

I hope this is a trend that continues with other DPSS colors for more inexpensive small modules for pointers. 15years ago when a Rigel would run you $500 for 2mW I would have said you were crazy that one day I could get three 10mW pointers for the same price seemingly out of nowhere.

farbe2

Yes!
The technology to do a few different wavelengths is out there. However the sales volume isn't there. It would be "easy" to make a single crystal that puts out 607nm. But very few people are actually down to spending >100$ on rare wavelengths.
So with low volume comes high price.

I mean after getting the crystals/coatings done, its the same process as the the 532nm dpss that are dirt cheap. Even cheaper than green diodes and these can be brought for under 15$ in quantity. And still: green pointers are 532nm dpss not 520nm diodes.

I assume that these crystals where made for a different use case. Lets face it the modules/pointers are likely CNI.
They likely used NOS or crystals from OEM modules. They may even face business difficulties in these times and wanted to make a quick buck by getting known working stuff out to a small but waiting customer base.

I am just wondering why these are described as "591nm", I assume it has something to do with the fact that the original manufacturer does not want to be associated with "pointer kiddos"..

After all pointers must have been a very profitable business for CNI but they still discontinued them. Might be because the science / laser industry looks down to companies that make pointers.

Taking a look at lasence makes that point clear: the 555-575nm modules where "dirt cheap" for the quantity they where selling. However after they started working with Frankfurt Laser and with real science business people, the price suddenly shot up to >800$..
No modules for pointer kiddos anymore form lasence.. at least for the masses, as very few people would spend 800$ for a module.

Keep in mind: that's just my personal opinion / speculation. I am not sure which company makes these and what the actual reason is.
So take everything written here with a big tablespoon full of salt ;)

RedCowboy

LPF Site Supporter
Techhood is selling just the modules now, these will get a lot less expensive and likely better as they are produced, so don't buy too many at this price.

atomd

Yes!
The technology to do a few different wavelengths is out there. However the sales volume isn't there. It would be "easy" to make a single crystal that puts out 607nm. But very few people are actually down to spending >100$ on rare wavelengths.
So with low volume comes high price.

I mean after getting the crystals/coatings done, its the same process as the the 532nm dpss that are dirt cheap. Even cheaper than green diodes and these can be brought for under 15$ in quantity. And still: green pointers are 532nm dpss not 520nm diodes.

I assume that these crystals where made for a different use case. Lets face it the modules/pointers are likely CNI.
They likely used NOS or crystals from OEM modules. They may even face business difficulties in these times and wanted to make a quick buck by getting known working stuff out to a small but waiting customer base.

I am just wondering why these are described as "591nm", I assume it has something to do with the fact that the original manufacturer does not want to be associated with "pointer kiddos"..

After all pointers must have been a very profitable business for CNI but they still discontinued them. Might be because the science / laser industry looks down to companies that make pointers.

Taking a look at lasence makes that point clear: the 555-575nm modules where "dirt cheap" for the quantity they where selling. However after they started working with Frankfurt Laser and with real science business people, the price suddenly shot up to >800$..
No modules for pointer kiddos anymore form lasence.. at least for the masses, as very few people would spend 800$ for a module.

Keep in mind: that's just my personal opinion / speculation. I am not sure which company makes these and what the actual reason is.
So take everything written here with a big tablespoon full of salt ;)
607nm and 532nm is not the same. ND:YO4 crystals have positive thermal lensing that makes resonator stable. Pr:YLF has engative themrla lensing so won't work in flat/flat (coating based) resonator.

farbe2

Sure but doing a convex grind wouldn’t be much different than a flat one. A little more complicated but not much. At least you don’t need to worry about parallelism. Coating would be the same.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Sweet that these turned out. I ordered one today, will post when it arrives. Been without a yellow since I sold my Dragon Lasers one nearly 10 years ago. It also did that weird thing where it would only lase green if it wasn't at the right temperature.

atomd

Sure but doing a convex grind wouldn’t be much different than a flat one. A little more complicated but not much. At least you don’t need to worry about parallelism. Coating would be the same.
it would as they grind flat ones in bulk before cutting individual crystals out.

farbe2

Interesting. I was under the impression that each crystal is oriented and cut from the boule, than polished and coated after the fact.

Polishing before cutting makes more sense productivity wise.
Not sure why coating is often done on the finished crystal then. I would have guessed that the surface quality might take a hit if exposed to the sawing dust/diamond particulate from the saw.

Do you have any information about that process in detail?