Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Peregrine - The Free, Open Source LPM Interface

94Z28

I'd love to go back and do a rewrite of this, but wrapping up grad school and having a full-time job has sort of killed that. If you do decide to make moves, let me know and I'll try to help in any way I can.

If I could somehow stimulate the hobby LPM community a bit with some code or something... that'd be great. Getting rid of lasersbee/Jerry was the first step in having a healthy hobby LPM community, but the vacuum never really got filled and life got crazy for me and I think ARG as well.

Thinking about releasing some previously unreleased code, like what's on the Rubicon, or some side projects that were cool but never got off the ground. The whole goal of this project and a couple others was to help remove the barriers keeping people from making LPM's... which is why Jerry resisted it so heartily. :D

I appreciate you rehosting the files... it's like that famous quote, "Open source projects die two deaths. One, when the creator stops maintaining the code. The second comes when the links to all the source files are all 404."

Trevor

I know how that is, I spent lots of time in Diablo 2 automation/bots when I was younger and had a very successful open-source website and support forum. I got so busy after kids, that someone stole the domain and all the files are on my PC but not many links left to them online! Oh well, if I do find some time to begin a port to apk I will let you know for sure. I would prefer to have this portable than PC. I haven't done much in droid yet, other than basic ODB1 read bin stuff for my Z28 Tuning RasPI.

Hope my link helps, I will keep it alive if it was to ever die I always have a server or shared/reseller somewhere!

Last edited:

I remember the flack you took bringing the Peregrine software to fruition here, especially from Jerry. It seems like awhile ago now, but you did this mostly at your own expense and though I never used it personally, I wanted to acknowledge all your work in bringing it here. Thanks, Trevor.

94Z28

I am a big fan of open source projects.. especially the ones who have opposition. I guess you can call me a black hat.

I'll look over the code tonight Trevor and see what could easily be ported to android. Being mostly java I don't see how it could be a large task other than getting the data stream via the USB Host in a tablet.. unfortunately a lot of older phones or tablets wouldnt support it but most everyone has a newish phone or tablet with USB Host capability. Would need a micro USB to USB converter that's all.. will be trying to get my hyperion to read to android soon!

Seems like something changed inside processing

pconfig.load(openStream("Peregrine.conf"));

is not a recognized command and errors under Processing 3 :thinking:

I am going to try and get Peregrine working using a scalable window using at least 800x600. Also MacOS Sierra supports metal. P3 also supports metal as well. :thinking:

Trevor

Seems like something changed inside processing

is not a recognized command and errors under Processing 3 :thinking:

I am going to try and get Peregrine working using a scalable window using at least 800x600. Also MacOS Sierra supports metal. P3 also supports metal as well. :thinking:

I forget what pconfig was... will need to look at that if I get a chance.

Back when I wrote this, Processing didn't like window resizing. If that's different now, that'd be awesome!

Trevor

ScottW

"Deceased thread, I command thee, I summon thee, RISE! BREATH!! LIVE AGAIN!!!!"

Trust me, this really belongs here, even though this thread died 4 years ago. 👻

-------------------------------------------------------------

TLDR; Peregrine is back! https://github.com/ScottWell1/Peregrine

Go to GitHub (link above) for the updated version, including source code (open source, gnu license).

Click on Releases (here or in the right-hand pane of the GitHub page), and you will find executable downloads (in ZIP files) for Windows and Linux. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a MAC -- so if you want to run it on a Mac, you will have to install Processing and recompile the source for OSx.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Details, if you want'em

I've been busy with other interests, and haven't been around LPF for years. Apologies for that.

I recently needed to do some datalogging from my LPM's (Radiant_X4 and Laserbee_7W). I finally found an old copy of the Radiant Lightspeed software and got it running. I also managed (after some manual driver install futzing) to get the Laserbee EagleEye software running.

But then I thought.... Gee, wouldn't it be nice to use the SAME PROGRAM FOR BOTH METERS??

I tried to fire up my old copy of Trevor's Peregrine, and was met with lots of errors. Apparently Java changes since the last Peregrine update in 2013 have killed it. (See earlier messages in this thread for history.)

Now I have no experience with Java. Nor any experience with the "Processing" language or IDE. And while I have some other programming experience, I'm over 60 and don't think or learn as fast as I used to. 🤔 But nevertheless, I decided to try bringing Peregrine into 2021.

I downloaded the Processing4 IDE, grabbed the 1.5.0.4 source that Trevor released (see his post from Nov-2017, above), and went to work learning Processing, Java, and Github.

I *think* I've been pretty successful. I created "Peregrine 1.6.0" -- and have tested it on Windows and Ubuntu (both 64bit). I've tested with various protocols (OpenLPM, Radiant, Simple, and Laserbee). I've updated the licensing, switched to redistributable fonts, and found solutions to several things that are "broken" in the current version of Processing (like dropDownLists, window visibility on linux, menus/MultiList, etc.). It is again drawing pretty graphs and saving nice datasets for me. And it's all on Github.

My goal was to just "get it working" with current Windows and Java. But I'm open to some additional bug fixes. I was unable to test with a Kenometer, so I need some feedback there for sure. Open an issue on Github, and I'll fix whatever I can. But long term, I'm hoping some young stud with real Java expertise will want to fork this code and maintain it well into the future. ;)

Let me know if there are any questions, comments, or feedback!

Last edited: