Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Peregrine - The Free, Open Source LPM Interface

Trevor

I mean, I've had this exact issue before, and altering the setting referenced in the StackExchange thread solved it.

In fact, here is another person posting about the exact same error and me posting the exact same solution!

I just downloaded Peregrine on my Mac (OSX Mavericks) and I get an error message saying that the application is damaged and should be moved to trash.

Yes, I did open the app from the MACOSX folder, and not the Windows or Linux folders, so that's not the issue :p

Any help is appreciated!
Adam

1) Open System Preferences
2) Open Security & Privacy
3) Go to the General Tab
4) Change the "Allow applications downloaded from:" setting to "Anywhere"

Trevor

(and it works)

Thank you - works like a charm! :D
I thought about doing that, but since it said the file was damaged, I didn't think it'd make a difference. Normally when it doesn't trust a developer, it will pop up with something about opening an app form an unidentified developer, not a corrupt file.

Adam

You can change the setting back once you run it once; MacOSX will remember it.

Trevor

Last edited:

I mean, I've had this exact issue before, and altering the setting referenced in the StackExchange thread solved it.

In fact, here is another person posting about the exact same error and me posting the exact same solution!

(and it works)

You can change the setting back once you run it once; MacOSX will remember it.

Trevor

Never encountered this issue yet on Mavericks, I also suggest doing a
permissions fix using Apple's disk tool. This can clean up some issues with sporadic unknown system problems. If a permission becomes corrupted it can lock the user out of a document or program without reason. :angel:

Thanks for posting this info btw. Hopefully this is all the problem is. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

This is all I GET.
9964-screen-shot-2014-07-29-5-22-40-pm.png

This is all I GET.
9964-screen-shot-2014-07-29-5-22-40-pm.png

Did you install the latest Java version?

I'll upload an imbedded version and try downloading that one.
got a feeling your now experiencing a Java lib lock....

:thinking:

Last edited:
Yes I have the latest version of Java and went and downloaded the other version of Peregrine but…..NOTHING! :( I still want to think that somehow it is my own lack of operating skills that is stopping this from working! :banghead:

Did you install the latest Java version?

I'll upload an imbedded version and try downloading that one.
got a feeling your now experiencing a Java lib lock....

:thinking:

Yes I have the latest version of Java and went and downloaded the other version of Peregrine but…..NOTHING! :( I still want to think that somehow it is my own lack of operating skills that is stopping this from working! :banghead:

hmmm... that's definitely odd.
Have you tried using Peregrine 1.5.0.5 in a new system user account to see if that didn't change anything?

Also try fixing the disk permissions. Perhaps some account corruption might be responsible for the issues?

let me know how this part goes...

I think I have found a way to solve this problem! I have decided to dust off my Toshiba laptop and download "Lightspeed" I hate the fact that I need to do this but nothing else seems to work and I have tried everything that I have been advised to do.
Seoul-Lasers I do thank you for all the help you have given me, there may be some sort of system error or more likely a user error that is stopping this from working but I have no idea how to fix it!
One again I thank Seoul-lasers for all your help!

I think I have found a way to solve this problem! I have decided to dust off my Toshiba laptop and download "Lightspeed" I hate the fact that I need to do this but nothing else seems to work and I have tried everything that I have been advised to do.
Seoul-Lasers I do thank you for all the help you have given me, there may be some sort of system error or more likely a user error that is stopping this from working but I have no idea how to fix it!
One again I thank Seoul-lasers for all your help!

You're welcome,
It's rather unfortunate that you were to not able to get the new Peregrine 1.5.0.5 for MacOSX 10.9.4 up and running.
( I spent a good deal of time trying to make a version that would be able to use the newer additions of Java and the new version of Processing. We've had quite a few issues with broken Java and Control P5 in processing 2.1.1 in MacOSX.) I tried using the old renderer from the pervious processing model and ran into ultra unusable frame rates (2.5fps), decided to go OpenGl, gave me back my FPS.

hmm...

Well The PC version of Peregrine 1.5.0.4 works and is tried and true.

Best of luck. Hopefully the PC version will work better.
I'd still like to know about your computer specs and OS. What were you running?

If anyone else has run my version of Peregrine 1.5.0.5 on MacOSX, let me know how it's working. thanx. :undecided:

hey busman,

did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same issue.

Nah Mate never did. Seoul Lasers tried to help me the best he could but it would just not work. Then I was defeated and gave up! :banghead: Maybe he could try help with yours? I would still be keen to get mine up and running and recently just bought the latest 27" iMac (Retina Display) :) So maybe I should download it and try again.

Good luck with getting it running and let us know the outcome.

Nah Mate never did. Seoul Lasers tried to help me the best he could but it would just not work. Then I was defeated and gave up! :banghead: Maybe he could try help with yours? I would still be keen to get mine up and running and recently just bought the latest 27" iMac (Retina Display) :) So maybe I should download it and try again.

Hey I just saw your post come up on my mail. Long time no hear.
I'm back in Canada now. from the looks of things there isn't any serial data coming into the program. There is a command to unlock the serial port.
a few posts ago it was posted. I'll have to do some digging to find it.

Java is a pain to deal with especially with processing.

Jstr

Darn. I don't own a PC, but I guess I could borrow one. Thanks though, and Seoul, if you figure it out, let me know please :)

I messed with it for 30 min, changing every setting I could find, but no avail. Seems like what you said: no data is coming through.

Darn. I don't own a PC, but I guess I could borrow one. Thanks though, and Seoul, if you figure it out, let me know please :)

I messed with it for 30 min, changing every setting I could find, but no avail. Seems like what you said: no data is coming through.

Yes, I believe what you're seeing is a locked serial library.

Try running this in Terminal.

sudo mkdir -p /var/lock
sudo chmod 777 /var/lock

This should unlock the incoming serial port data within the Java runtime environment.

give it ago and get back to me on whether or not you see incoming data.

Jstr

YES! that worked!

Thanks so much!!

+rep

Here is what I was able to do

GFrKvxi.png

There you go, well done Seoul Lasers and good luck to you Jstrawn. I will have to download peregrine again and try it myself!

I have used this in the past on this computer, any idea what has happened that i now just get this error.

I did update to the latest Java, in the path specified there is a shortcut or link exe to where the program is located.

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited: