Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Paypal dispute

Wmacky

OK, I'm having an issue with one of the forum vendors. I made a purchase on Sunday, and never got a acknowledgement of the purchase or ship notice. Since then no replys to my PM's or email, though I do see account activity. I made a purchase a few weeks ago, and he shipped within hours????

This is my first purchase problem after spending thousands online over many years. How long to file a Paypal dispute?

You have 45 days to issue a dispute, but I would say give it a bit more time, they might have gone on vacation. Usually a person's paypal address is their most active email address, so maybe send them an email?

Was it just someone selling something in the BST section or a member who's well regarded as a seller (like DTR for example).

IsaacT

What vendor? That will help us advise you. Also what was the purchase?

Wmacky

You have 45 days to issue a dispute, but I would say give it a bit more time, they might have gone on vacation. Usually a person's paypal address is their most active email address, so maybe send them an email?

Was it just someone selling something in the BST section or a member who's well regarded as a seller (like DTR for example).

"Well regarded", but I won't mention names as of yet. ( Not DTR which has always been great) Email was sent to the paypal listed address.

Do remember that at times people can be very slow at answering emails do to reasons such as ill health or a family crisis or even that they are out the back in the shed getting peoples orders together! I know also that some forum sellers are very likely to be involved in some organising of July 4 celebrations so Please be patient with them. If they are "well regarded" here there is a Good reason for that!
I am still waiting for "Stuff" after a few weeks from a couple of members but both have good explanations and I do not get updates often from them but have dealt with both in the past and would not hesitate to recommend them, even if they are not absolutely perfect like me!:wave:

Last edited:

Wmacky

Do remember that at times people can be very slow at answering emails do to reasons such as ill health or a family crisis or even that they are out the back in the shed getting peoples orders together! I know also that some forum sellers are very likely to be involved in some organising of July 4 celebrations so Please be patient with them. If they are "well regarded" here there is a Good reason for that!
I am still waiting for "Stuff" after a few weeks from a couple of members but both have good explanations and I do not get updates often from them but have dealt with both in the past and would not hesitate to recommend them, even if they are not absolutely perfect like me!:wave:

I hear what your saying, but a simple acknowledgement that the order was received would have gone a long way. Short of death, I can't really imagine much of any reason not to at least get that? Emergencies, bad health, and busy schedules I understand, but zero communication is never acceptable. Especially after funds have been sent.

Last edited:
True, some sort of acknowledgement should have been forthcoming at least to say that they were not available to reply to you for x amount of time. Nevertheless I urge you to be patient for a bit longer and if it turns out that there has been something sinister going on then by all means let us know and I am sure that the Sergeants At Arms here will happily tear him apart!:spank:

RayJay

I personally give minimum 14 days, especially if I paid by "goods" through paypal. Things happen, for all you know he could have (god forbid) had a heart attack or something.
Are they active on the forum? Have they logged in recently? That is the only time when I would get a tad suspicious. Once i had ordered 10 ounces of gold off a forum trader and they went dark for 10 days! I was sweating bullet's then he messaged me and told me he had a minor stroke! and would get it off to me asap. So, just give it time.

Last edited:

Wmacky

I personally give minimum 14 days, especially if I paid by "goods" through paypal. Things happen, for all you know he could have (god forbid) had a heart attack or something.
Are they active on the forum? Have they logged in recently? That is the only time when I would get a tad suspicious. Once i had ordered 100 ounces of gold off a forum trader and they went dark for 10 days! I was sweating bullet's then he messaged me and told me he had a minor stroke! and would get it off to me asap. So, just give it time.

Yes he's been on. I'm afraid 14 days sounds like a little much to me. I think I'll give one more day. I think somethings happened, but I'll still need my money back in any case.

Last edited:
Its a holiday weekend! I have someone who just bought something from me on thursday night and he was demanding it be shipped friday (really july 4th shipping!!!???). Then saturday asked me to ship it that day, um small town post offices arent open july 4th weekend so even if I was home, I couldnt!

To me I figured everyone knew and would realize crap shuts down for holidays but seems like im the only one who thinks this way? Point is, if its a vendor most dont work weekends and if they do, ITS A HOLIDAY. Relax and if it comes to like 35 days then worry

EDIT: ill add to my scenario......buyer actually paid on July 4th but thats not it. In 2 days I received roughly 8 messages asking if I shipped it, where is my tracking number, is it shipped, what batteries should I use, how about a charger, is it shipped yet!!!!!

To me, had it been one message then sure ill answer but dam! Its a holiday weekend and if someone is going to bug me that much then ill answer on monday. I have better things to do then sit here on a beautiful holiday weekend answering a million questions. BTW the buyer is in the USA so they know its a holiday. They are also not on this forum so thats why im saying this.

Your seller could be in the same boat

Last edited:

RayJay

The thing's that sort of worry me about this situation though is that..

1. It was already 7 days ago.
2. The seller never responded to the buyers "iv'e paid" message and no message since.
3. Most worrying is the fact the seller has been on here.

Now i could understand if something happened that stopped him from getting to his technology buy if he can log on here then that obviously isn't the problem.

I also totally get your point about the 4th of July holiday but the order was made 5 days before. Wouldn't you at least expect a message saying "thanks for payment, will post on X"?

Wmacky

Wait 35 days for an acknowledgement that my order was received? Really?

Why don't you come by and share some of that stuff with me! Seems top quality!

Really your post makes no sense. I never asked for holiday shipping. All I've asked for is a response!!!!!!??????

Last edited:
No 35 days to dispute. For one I dont think you can dispute within a week. Also what I said does make sense. Even though you didnt ask for holiday shipping people get busy with the holiday (thats the point). People dont always provide tracking or shipping acknowledgement. Many times I dont provide it unless asked for. Paypal gave you payment acknowledgement so no need to ask the seller for it.

Add on top of it that vets and popular vendors are just that, popular. We have a crap ton of PMs in ourbinbox and to tell you the truth, I rarely respond to all my PMs. Too many people PM me asking dumb questions or looking for stuff and if I dont know them I rarely respond. Maybr this vendor has a ton of PMs like most of us do. Its VERY time consumto answer them all so alot of peope ignore them and spend one day answring PMs

Initially you can only open a dispute. After 14 days (IIRC) you have the option to close it, or escalate it. If you do nothing it will be closed, and that's the end of it.

Unless express/overnight shipping, and expedited handling is paid for, it's best to just relax, and take into consideration that businesses are managed by human beings, and that orders take time to be processed, and shipped out.

If it's been over 5 business days, and you have no notice, send a quick email, "Hey, how's my order?" at 10 days no response open dispute, and go from there.

For any order dealing with China, or outside US, add in a cushion of patience, and don't freak out unless it's been over a month.

Wmacky

No 35 days to dispute. For one I dont think you can dispute within a week. Also what I said does make sense. Even though you didnt ask for holiday shipping people get busy with the holiday (thats the point). People dont always provide tracking or shipping acknowledgement. Many times I dont provide it unless asked for. Paypal gave you payment acknowledgement so no need to ask the seller for it.

Add on top of it that vets and popular vendors are just that, popular. We have a crap ton of PMs in ourbinbox and to tell you the truth, I rarely respond to all my PMs. Too many people PM me asking dumb questions or looking for stuff and if I dont know them I rarely respond. Maybr this vendor has a ton of PMs like most of us do. Its VERY time consumto answer them all so alot of peope ignore them and spend one day answring PMs

Well, I guess were all made different. I have quite a few sales throughout the year, I handle them like this.

I email back as soon as I have a sale with a thank you, and a estimated shipping date. When the item ships I send a tracking number within a day.

Thats just how I do business. As a matter of fact, thats how about 99% of sellers do business online. I certainly wouldn't ignore PM's from a buyer because I'm a popular dude and had to many! Nor would I ever do business with someone with that attitude.

Anyway I probably shouldn't have posted anything. I'm give give it a couple more days, then Paypal can sort it out. I'll file a dispute then escalate it the following day.

Last edited:

IsaacT

Remember that people have lives. Something might happen such that they could not get online that day. Maybe wait 4 days or so before escalating. They aren't on call. Shit happens.