Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

overheating

can a 50mW DX green laser pointer overheat? if so how dangerous is this? will it break the laser pointer lol.

Kenom

Any laser pointer that is green can overheat. They generally have to have a large 808nm diode pushing into the MCA in order to get a lower amount of green out the front. Since it's a larger diode it's putting out a bit of heat. If the heatsinking on them is good like on the Hercules or higher end lasers you don't need to worry about that problem. (unless the cooling dies) but on a DX 50mw it's gonna get warm to the touch and that's about it. You may have a problem with it but shouldn't as the barrel is enough to dissapate the heat. As far as overheating breaking the laser. YES! if it stays hot too long it will literally cook the diode. As far as dangerous I donno I've never heard of a laser pointer blowing up from the diode and mca overheating so who knows.

Kenom said:
Any laser pointer that is green can overheat.  They generally have to have a large 808nm diode pushing into the MCA in order to get a lower amount of green out the front.  Since it's a larger diode it's putting out a bit of heat.  If the heatsinking on them is good like on the Hercules or higher end lasers you don't need to worry about that problem.  (unless the cooling dies) but on a DX 50mw it's gonna get warm to the touch and that's about it.  You may have a problem with it but shouldn't as the barrel is enough to dissapate the heat.  As far as overheating breaking the laser.  YES!  if it stays hot too long it will literally cook the diode.  As far as dangerous I donno I've never heard of a laser pointer blowing up from the diode and mca overheating so who knows.
lol ok thanks. so how sould i know how long i can keep it on for? when i start to feel it getting warm should i stop?

S

SenKat

A good rule of thumb is this : 100 seconds on, and 10 seconds off. That will prolong the life of your laser immensely !

Is it possible to only slightly cook the diode? I think that happened when my DX 200mw overheated because of the battery shorting out.. it was just the batteries and tube getting hot however.. but I was just wondering if less than 5 mins of extreme heat can partially 'cook' a DPSS diode?

SenKat said:
A good rule of thumb is this :  100 seconds on, and 10 seconds off.  That will prolong the life of your laser immensely !
only 10 seconds off and that's enough of a cooldown? cool! i wouldnt mind that at all!

S

SenKat

david7700 said:
Is it possible to only slightly cook the diode?  I think that happened when my DX 200mw overheated because of the battery shorting out..  it was just the batteries and tube getting hot however..  but I was just wondering if less than 5 mins of extreme heat can partially 'cook' a DPSS diode?

If you get in a situation where you think it is overheating - put it in front of a fast fan ! Cool it down that way - if you put it in the feezer (don't laugh - I have heard of oflks doing that !) then you risk condensation and that is bad news....

SenKat said:
[quote author=david7700 link=1181670093/0#4 date=1181691435]Is it possible to only slightly cook the diode?  I think that happened when my DX 200mw overheated because of the battery shorting out..  it was just the batteries and tube getting hot however..  but I was just wondering if less than 5 mins of extreme heat can partially 'cook' a DPSS diode?

If you get in a situation where you think it is overheating - put it in front of a fast fan !  Cool it down that way - if you put it in the feezer (don't laugh - I have heard of oflks doing that !) then you risk condensation and that is bad news....[/quote]
only 4-7 more buisness days till il be gettin my laser. i hope this week will go by fast!

I read on LaserCommunity from Chief Ennema that just the batts were overheating and the diode, board, should b fine, so thats a relief! *phew*

Dave --

Think -- The cells are overheating and that "little" LD is not ?? Heating of the total mass of the cells compared to the LD is almost foolish. Keep the diode cool. On a hot day, a longer cooling cycle is to be considered.
Green pointers LOVE Margureitas on ice-- No Salt !!! Just kidding!

Mike

Heating of the total mass of the cells compared to the LD is almost foolish?
I thought when the batteries overheat and the case becomes hot.. there isn't current flowing through the diode.. soo it shouldn't have heated a point to cause irrepairable damage. I always follow a decent duty cycle 60s on/10s off.. I was just wondering about my experiences when I first got the laser.. the spring was crooked and grounded the cells, but now I fixed it, so everything seems fine (after it cooled down). I don't think Ill try giving my laser a margarita however.. maybe just shine the beam through the glass b4 I drink it lol

david7700 said:
I read on LaserCommunity from Chief Ennema that just the batts were overheating and the diode, board, should b fine,  so thats a relief!  *phew*

"Chief Ennema" hahahahhaha - that is the funniest name I've ever heard. ;D ;D ;D