Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Our toys being taxed? Terrible tariffs!

goonmad

Is the new 25% tax going to impact us when we go shopping at places like LaserLands and Sanwu?! Anybody hit yet?

goonmad

The U.S. 25% tariffs (tax) on Chinese LASER components (and other stuff) which started today thanks to individual number 1.

Podo

Probably not, the 25% tax is delicately focused on B2B trade, not B2C. Most of our laser components like laser diodes are from Japan(sharp & nichia) and china(Osram).

goonmad

...ya, it sure seems like the vast majority of stuff arriving at my mailbox (for all my hobbies) comes directly from China ...just sayin’

Gadget

...ya, it sure seems like the vast majority of stuff arriving at my mailbox (for all my hobbies) comes directly from China ...just sayin’

That would be Business to Consumer trade, not Business to Business. B2B will be the trade that gets hit by the new tarriff.

goonmad

Yes, right, b2c ...I get it. But, you’re fooling yourself if you think the US consumer will not be impacted by Trump’s 25% tariffs on Chinese goods. The numbers I’m hearing are $800 to $1,000 dollars per year for the average American. That’s average! For a super over indulgent spendaholic like me who is completely addicted to buying tons of Chinese crap on a daily basis, the number will be significantly higher.

I don't believe anyone ever wins a trade war. It is a shame that we do have this going on now.

Gadget

Yes, right, b2c ...I get it. But, you’re fooling yourself if you think the US consumer will not be impacted by Trump’s 25% tariffs on Chinese goods.

Hmmm ..most every good you can get from China, can also be had in its USA counterpart. But then I guess you don't get the crappy Chinese QC, or the knockoffs.

I believe mirroring the import taxes of other countries makes sense, I haven't been following what is happening with this trade war.