Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ouch! That burns!!!

Just out of curiousity, once you are done swearing and whatever else you do in the "heat of the moment," what do you guys find is best for after you stick the 480 C tip of your soldering iron on your finger?

I've got it on ice now, and that helps. But I won't be able to keep it on ice tonight asleep. Do you pop the blister or leave it alone?

I've got some burn relief stuff in the kitchen that I think is probably lidocaine.

Any of you ever do this? :crackup:

I've seen all of your hands in pics so I know someone has good advice.

EDIT: This is what I was up to...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/my-first-red-build-bolly-bl-8006-a-73498.html

Last edited:

Things

Don't pop the blister. It's there to prevent infection.
Put some burn cream on it and put a bandaid and maybe some tape over it.

if the blister does end up growing to an annoying size, then you can pop it, but immediately put a new bandaid over it and make sure whatever you pop it with is clean.

Last edited:
Thanks, I put a bunch of lidocaine HCL 2.5% on it and put one of those finger rubbers over it. Still burns a bit unless it is iced down.

I have had the most frustrating day trying to put together a laser. One of those where nothing goes right.

Blah!

lman

Thanks, I put a bunch of lidocaine HCL 2.5% on it and put one of those finger rubbers over it. Still burns a bit unless it is iced down.

I have had the most frustrating day trying to put together a laser. One of those where nothing goes right.

Blah!

Good luck hope you didn't destroy the laser:tired:

STOP USING THE ICE.

You're taking the skin tissue from one extreme to the other. If you want you can take an ice pack, wrap it in a thin towel and use that.

Don't pop the blister... it's there to help. Best thing you can do is put on some ointment, and a bandaid over the blister. The blisters have a tendency to swell up, so a bit of pressure is ok... not too much though. The serous (iirc that's the word) fluid is there to help you heal faster. Also keep the bandaid/wrapping on when you shower... otherwise you will find the blister will swell up a lot.

Nothing you can really do about the pain, but ignore it.

EDIT: In my experience it's always best to let the area breathe. Don't use those little rubber finger things unless you really need to... and even then better of with a glove.

Last edited:

lman

STOP USING THE ICE.

You're taking the skin tissue from one extreme to the other. If you want you can take an ice pack, wrap it in a thin towel and use that.

Don't pop the blister... it's there to help. Best thing you can do is put on some ointment, and a bandaid over the blister. The blisters have a tendency to swell up, so a bit of pressure is ok... not too much though. The serous (iirc that's the word) fluid is there to help you heal faster. Also keep the bandaid/wrapping on when you shower... otherwise you will find the blister will swell up a lot.

Very good advice.

I don't even notice when it happens. It's the foul smell of burning/melting flesh that clues me in. After that, I don't really do anything. The burn fades away soon. The most painful one lately was on my forearm when I accidentally laid it down on a tiny solder bead freshly dropped on my workbench. That hurt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16589

I know they tell you not to do this but I poke a hole in the blister and drain it (don't tear skin off just poke pin hole) then I put antiseptic cream and aloe on it before putting a band-aid on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Things

Popping the blister is fine as long as you can keep it perfectly clean. Like I said, it's there to prevent infection. Don't tear the skin off it, just pop a little hole, drain it, then cover it in a bandaid again. And yes, preferably let the skin breathe. You could also end up with infection if the skin stays moist.

Last edited:
STOP USING THE ICE.

EDIT: In my experience it's always best to let the area breathe. Don't use those little rubber finger things unless you really need to... and even then better of with a glove.
You want to use ice! It will help stop anymore damage and will help to reduce the burn severity.

I was welding on a fryer hood a a processing plant and started to slide off, I grabbed the first thing I could see and it turned out that it was a steam line. I could feel the skin on my hand go slimy like it was melting, I figured that that was better than falling 30ft. As soon as I got off the fryer I ran for the ice machine and packed my hand in ice. The company nurse looked at my hand and estimated that they were 3rd degree burns and told me to keep it packed in ice. I was sent to the ER and was told that keeping my hand packed in ice that it had brought down the severity of the burn down to a 2nd degree burn and that was the best thing to do for any burn and never use a greasy cream, use burn gel only.

Very good advice.

Speaking from too much personal experience... my hands have been through MANY burns and cuts:p

I don't even notice when it happens. It's the foul smell of burning/melting flesh that clues me in. After that, I don't really do anything. The burn fades away soon. The most painful one lately was on my forearm when I accidentally laid it down on a tiny solder bead freshly dropped on my workbench. That hurt.

Sorry, but unless you have some sort of a disorder to explain this away I call total BS. Burns are very irritating, and hurt. There is delay between being hurt and feeling it, but it's not such that you would notice the smell first.

I know they tell you not to do this but I poke a hole in the blister and drain it (don't tear skin off just poke pin hole) then I put antiseptic cream and aloe on it before putting a band-aid on it.

Unless the blister is in an area where you really can't have a blister due to needing the area for function, it's a BAD idea. You increase risk of infection significantly. That fluid in there acts to help you heal.

Usually I end up popping mine by accident a few days in though. Sometimes in my sleep :undecided::undecided:

You want to use ice! It will help stop anymore damage and will help to reduce the burn severity.

Cold yes. ICE no. Ice can numb yes, but you're risking more damage. 100% agreed on oil based creams... I don't have any, and never used any... never even considered that other people probably do.

Had to double check if I was nuts...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-burns/FA00022

Last edited:
I swear it's not BS. I don't recommend this, but after I started noticing that I don't feel it, I started pressing the iron on my fingers and palm; the tip of the iron, and even the shaft, nothing. If I repeat it in the same spots, it hurts a little, but not much. By the end of this experiment to test if I did feel it, I had many yellow marks all over both hands and fingers of melted/burnt skin. I have many times burned the tip of my index finger or thumb without having any idea until I could smell it. You don't have to believe me, but I promise you it's true :/

Last edited:
How do you figure ice will cause more damage?

I do a lot of welding and cutting and always use ice for my burns and that advice comes from a Dr.