Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Osram PL450B Handheld Build

y2LzN2S.png

I will apologize in advance, my phone doesn't really take great photos :X

lqhuGj3.png

Qc6iJIh.png

rIqgFTQ.png

ROaejry.png

I have the laser being driven at 200mA, using a glass lens, the estimated energy output of the laser should be around 160mW - 180mW

So here's an overview of the build...

I started by purchasing these:
Stainless Steel Host from Survival Laser
Osram PL450B Diode with 3 Element Lens, and driver combo from DTR Lasers
DIY Battery Contact Board & Pill Module from Survival Laser

I trimmed the leads from the driver to fit in the tight space inside the heatsink and pill assembly and soldered them to the contact board output. I took caution with screwing the front of the assembly into the host, making sure that the wires didn't twist at all.

It was as simple as that! Thanks for checking this page out, I hope to make a video soon showing the overview of the soldering and whatnot.

Special thanks to Garoq, and DTR for their shops, without them, the build wouldn't have been nearly as easy.

Thanks, stay safe, and make some bad-ass lasers :D

- Mike

Last edited:

Very cool. It's funny I was thinking of building the same exact thing. Pl450b with a stainless SL host. :)

@DTR Thanks for the info, I updated the main post accordingly.
As for the rest of you, thanks for the replies! I can't wait to build more in the future. Perhaps a 520nm build?

nice host and build well done the 450 is sure nice, yes go for 520 cant go wrong with that one either.

what was the total cost if you dont mind me asking. i just blew one of my 445s and prolly want to build something similar. Looks super clean and great!!

+rep for assembling a laser yourself and posting it, take more photos next time. I have a blue laser in the same host and I really like it.

Alan

Warning! I love my 450, but once I made my 520 it easily fell to the number 2 spot in my heart

what was the total cost if you dont mind me asking. i just blew one of my 445s and prolly want to build something similar. Looks super clean and great!!

Hey, sorry for the late reply, but I had to also buy laser safety glasses, 18650 rechargable batteries (and charger) along with the host and related components.

The laser module (Osram PL450B W/ Driver and 3 Element Glass Lens) costs $77 shipped, the host and DIY contact board costs around $61. So your looking at about $138 for just the laser module, host, and contact board. I say about because I don't remember the shipping costs. Hope this helped you.