Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Orbtronic" Glasses

There is no OD listed, so these are not worth the money in my opinion. The protection is just a wild guess. If you have a LPM you can measure the OD, but you can only measure how well they stand against laser light by destroying one or more.

Sorry about that.

Anyways, these are some nice glasses, I got a 532nm 30mW and a 5mW 405nm directly in the eye when I was wearing them and I can still see just fine! But, there is a very slight design flaw, if theres a laser behind you, theres a chance it could shine in these little "blind" (like a window blind) things and bounce, then hit you in the eye. Meh. They work good enough.

Ash

I got a 532nm 30mW and a 5mW 405nm directly in the eye when I was wearing them and I can still see just fine!
Wow. Your testing method astounds me. :thinking:
polar-bear-face-palm.jpg

Arshus

If you have a LPM you can measure the OD, but you can only measure how well they stand against laser light by destroying one or more.

Ok I also have these Orbtronic glasses. When I aim my Dorcy Jr 445 at my LPM, it meters at 571mW. When I put these glasses inbetween the laser and the thermopile no light gets to the thermopile, as it reads 0mW.

Is that good? lol

-Sal

A laserbee can only measure above 5mW, so it's at least OD2. If it sustained the OD during the direct exposure long enough and there is a good consistency in the orbtronics glasses you can be sure that these glasses are OD2. Which is still too low.

In this case a silicon photodiode power meter would be better, they have a much larger dynamic range.

A laserbee measures between 5mW and 1050mW if I'm correct, that's not a big dynamic range, but most thermal detector have this. So you can only determine up to a limited OD, because above that you can't measure the attenuated light.
Photodiodes have a much better dynamic range, some go down to 0.01 picowatt and up to 1mW, my power meter goes from 1nW to 100mW. Because you measure the ratio of powers a photodiode power meter doesn't even have to be wavelength calibrated.

Arshus

With the beam filtering though the glasses no visible blue light shines on the thermopile. That means that if there is something getting though its less than 1mW, because other wise it would be visible. If the glasses absorb that much light, I'd say they were good glasses.

unless your eyes were recently calibrated, be carefull. If really no blue light seems comes through the OD is probably high. But a high enough OD alone doesn't make good glasses.

unless your eyes were recently calibrated, be carefull. If really no blue light seems comes through the OD is probably high. But a high enough OD alone doesn't make good glasses.

This is the original ORBTRONIC Blue Green Laser Eye Protection Safety Goggles - LINK BELOW:
Blue Green Laser Eye Protection Safety Glasses Goggles Red
This is the description:
These stylish and highly functional Laser Glasses will protect your eyes
from excessive GREEN 532nm and BLUE 473nm laser rays.
Complete protection from 190nm to 540nm.Hard Case included.

Comfortable style.
Large frame, can be worn over other glasses.
Allows a wide field of view.
The laser beam dot is clearly visible.
High visible light transmission, objects do not appear dark.
Crush and break proof material, very durable.

They also offer free USPS shipping in the USA.

The price is right now $28.00 tax incl.

I think it is a better quality than the one offered by O-like for $19.99 + shipping:
405nm,450nm,473nm,532nm laser safety goggles - LINK BELOW
405nm,450nm,473nm,532nm laser safety goggles [OLGLG532] - $19.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Of course the best goggles can be found on the LaserGlow web site.

Right now I decided to try out the ORBTRONIC goggles based on Arshus comments.
(I have eyeglasses too, that was one of the reasons I decided to get the ORBTRONIC goggles over the O-like goggles.)

I have ordered from O-like the "450mW New portable Green laser torch/IR filtered" - LINK BELOW:
450mW New portable Green laser torch/IR filtered [OLNGL400] - $389.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
I just got the package, however the green laser goggle -promised to be included in the $389 on their web site- was missing. Hopefully, I'm gonna get with the batteries & chargers... I'll see that soon. If not,... I'm gonna have to write them.