Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Orange 607nm 170mW kvant Labby

Beautiful color!

Is it a duct tape on a heatsink? Do you really need it? It covers quite a lot of surface and reduced heat exchange.

Also consider blowing area across the laser base (not a long) to reduce flowing air influence on the beam.
Unfortunately yeah that is duct tape across it. The fins are very uneven and the airflow wasn't as good without it. I compared the thermal with and without using my flir (I do understand this isn't the most accurate method). After 20 minutes there was a 10 degree (5C) difference in favor of the tape.

And yeah, when I ultimately get tired of this ghetto look I'll get a good heatsink and blow across. I have noticed it does affect the beam, especially since we have a coal burning furnace (very dusty!)

I would say it is fibrous gypsum ... ?

Thanks for the pics ---- !

Yep, fibrous gypsum - selenite.

Last edited:
You have a coal burning furnace, Zach? Must be an older house. I remember when I lived in Massachusetts we had an oil burning furnace that needed to be filled just before the winter started. That was in the late 50s and very early 60s. When my mother died in 76, we buried her in the family plot there and I visited that house. It was a lot smaller than I remembered it.

Actually neither are that old, house is from the 70s and the stove was installed (replaced the old with a new one) in 2013. We're right in the coal region in PA

Huh, I learn something new every day. I had no idea people were still buying coal burning furnaces anywhere in the US. It is a particularly dirty fuel to use.

Wow! I've been wanting to see an orange, the 638 almost looks pink next to it!

I didn't realize you had posted the price, Zach. I thought you were going to keep that information to yourself. I knew what you paid for it, but wasn't going to say anything because of that.

kecked

Thanks. I was thinking of it for lumia but that’s a whole lot money for orange. I’d sooner buy yellow opsl

That thing is crazy… If I could afford it, I would certainly buy it! No shame. One day it will be mine and I will complete my wavelength color collection!! It’s one of those websites where you need to request a quote to get the price, so it’s impossible to keep track of the price over time. Hopefully it goes down and not up… That color is absolutely gorgeous! 607nm seems like the perfect orange shade, right around 610nm. It’s a shame that they can never make a handheld of this due to the complications with the 445.

Hi!
Sure its possible to make a handheld. We are working on the PR:YLF lasers too, but the price will be extremely high. Sure there is no pointer possible under ~2000€
BR

Yeah I would imagine its not so much an issue of fabricating it, but rather expensive due to non-standard, uncommonly used parts, so it’d be expensive simply due to low demand.