Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics or RayFoss

Hi guys, I have had this Optotronics 150mw laser for a year.

Optotronics Product Details

I saw this on RayFoss, and possibly buy, but don't know if its pretty much the same as the Optotronics one.

http://rayfoss.com/productn.asp?ArticleID=6

On the RayFoss specs it doesn't say it has IR filter. The Opto has it on theirs (is this even needed?). I have done searches all morning in the forums and haven't found an simple answer or a review on the RayFoss one.

Last edited:

Optotronics is way higher quality! Shouldn't even be compared with Rayfoss.

Definitely go for Opto. Rayfoss is great, but Optotronics is one of the best laser companies out there. The laser will be guaranteed overspec, and the divergence is great.

I don't care if it has IR or not, because I'm careful not to shine it near my face. The only real advantage to a filter is that the IR won't mess up the LPM readings.

That particular Rayfoss one will not be IR filtered. As for "is IR filtering neccessary" the answer is not so simple. I would suggest you do some further reading on the subject and decide if you "need" it.

IR filtering is desireable rather than neccessary, from a safety point of view IR light is dangerous as it is invisible to the naked eye but can do as much damage as the visible light emitted from a laser.

From a "burning" point of view IR and visible light will contribute to the burning power.

Another point to take into account is that some manufacturers/sellers quote their power ratings which include the IR. most members here would consider this a "con" as the true output power should be that of the visible light only (IR filtered in other words)

Lastly, comparing Opto and Rayfoss.... again most members here will tell you that Opto wins on quality while Rayfoss wins on price. Decide which of the above points are important for you personally and then make your decision.

Keep an eye on this thread as I am sure more experienced members of the community will comment and point out any errors I have made.

Jerry

I hope this helps

I just ordered the same Optotronics 150 today that you linked to. I ordered it precisely because it has the IR coating/filter. Plus I believe that it will be on or above 150mw spec.

I do not think that the Rayfoss has the IR filter which is critical because IR restricts light out put, and I do not expect that it will necessarily be to spec, although some on the board have stated that they are. Overall I would expect the Optotronic to outperform the Rayfoss. I have no proof, just what I have surmised after research.

Have you been unsatisfied with the Optotronic 150 that your looking for another 150mw?

I just ordered the same Optotronics 150 today that you linked to. I ordered it precisely because it has the IR coating/filter. Plus I believe that it will be on or above 150mw spec.

I do not think that the Rayfoss has the IR filter which is critical because IR restricts light out put, and I do not expect that it will necessarily be to spec, although some on the board have stated that they are. Overall I would expect the Optotronic to outperform the Rayfoss. I have no proof, just what I have surmised after research.

Have you been unsatisfied with the Optotronic 150 that your looking for another 150mw?

Not at all. Its a great laser. Rayfoss is mention a lot in this forum as a good dealer and was just looking for reviews of the RayFoss 150mw pen laser, to see if there was any comparisons done against the Opto one.

I am buying the 150mW from rayfoss, because she gave a discount to $70 and it's currently in my budget so thats why I can't go with opto, cus I dont have even close to $200...

So I'm in the same boat, it's down to Rayfoss or Opto. I always think about O-like...but not today. My next laser is green (specifically the ones in the OP links) and I am interested in pointing only (not really burning), price is not a factor. So my question is (hopefully not hijacking this thread):

1.Which of the two has the best/acceptable visible beam in daylight....and spot on distance, and
2.Is 150 really needed or is 100 pretty much the same when it comes to seeing the beam in daylight or at night.

I am leaning towards Opto but this hobby is new and casual to me so I would really rather start out slowly. Thx.

I would still go with Opto if you want a pen. The divergence and quality of the lasers is unbeatable. 150mW is about the same brightness, but the beam looks "fuller" and more noticeable. I think your main decision factor is this: how long do you want to use the laser at a time (duty cycle)? If you want to use it for longer periods of time, go with a Rayfoss torch, as the pens don't have good heatsinking and you will need a shorter duty cycle.

Asherz

If you have the money go with Optotronics, there quality is unsurpassable.

I just bought the rayfoss 150mW green laser pen, so I should have it to review in about 3-4 weeks for everybody. Oh and I should also be getting the gatlin 100mW from O-like sometime as well.