Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opto RPL Registry

roosl

Yeah, not only is his product top notch, so is his service. You can't go wrong with Optotronics and Jack!
:yh:

Man I have problems with my 400. It's only 2 months old, I really took care of it. I have no equipment to measure, but no doubt that it's much weaker than before. It doesn't sting my hand anymore and would not burn any black paper, actually does no mark to it at all. Jack advised to clean the batterys and the threads of the talicap-nothing changed. Today I get some equipment to measure the voltage of the batterys (my last hope) otherwise I'll have to sened it back to him. I am not worried he provides excellent customer service however shipment is 80$ the way there and about 50$ back after it's repaired or replaiced.

Did ever anything like that happen to you guys?
Any ideas what could be wrong?

:shhh:

Two things kill 532 fast: Dieing pump diode or bad KTP/Vanadate. Could be a combination of both. You need to expand the beam using a convex mirror or lens. (and goggles!) If the warranty is up just unscrew the finned part and you will have an expanded beam. It should be round, always. Slight distortions are normal when warming up. Multiple shapes, elongation, rings, etc. indicate non TEMoo mode which is bad. Non TEMoo mode always results in a larger beam with lower power. Sometimes power is still high with TEM01, for example but you don't want this!

Laha

Two things kill 532 fast: Dieing pump diode or bad KTP/Vanadate. Could be a combination of both. You need to expand the beam using a convex mirror or lens. (and goggles!) If the warranty is up just unscrew the finned part and you will have an expanded beam. It should be round, always. Slight distortions are normal when warming up. Multiple shapes, elongation, rings, etc. indicate non TEMoo mode which is bad. Non TEMoo mode always results in a larger beam with lower power. Sometimes power is still high with TEM01, for example but you don't want this!

I apprichiate your reply, but my english is a bit week aspecially when it comes to special terms like: KTP/Vanadate.
Would you mind trying to explain this?

By "expanding the beam" you mean using a beam expander?

Thanks, I am on a really new field with all this.:yh:

KTP/Vanadate refers to the crystals used in front of the pump diode to convert IR to visible laser radiation.

A simple asperic lens will work to expand the beam. A simple magnifier will suffice. What you want to do is have the beam as large as a few inches from across the room. The term laser beam expander will expand the beam internally then recollimate it so it emerges as a larger beam with less divergence. This is not what you want for this test.

Simply put the magnifying glass an inch or two in front of your RPL, turn it on and examine the shape of the spot on the wall. It should be a round ball if all is well.

My RPL-500! :D

wu5xdg.jpg

Glad to see all the other proud owners of these lasers. I have no pics of this beast in use unfortunately.

Last edited:

Moptsp

I'm about to run into some good money, I could afford the 350mw for what opto is selling it for, though I'm not sure I could spend $1000 on a laser. Might have to kill my self first lol.
It's a freakin sweet laser I know.

@b3nault, how much that do, 700mw? :O

Last edited:

Laha

My RPL-500! :D

wu5xdg.jpg

Glad to see all the other proud owners of these lasers. I have no pics of this beast in use unfortunately.

Man! Please take some beam shots, must be amaizing!
:drool:

Raybo

I have an Opty 165.:poke:

I still enjoy it even though it's at the lower end of the series. :beer:

beep

I will be getting my RPL 350mW Green on Saturday (fingers crossed).
Jack just emailed me saying it might not get to me until Tuesday based on the holiday.
I am hoping to borrow a friends video camera to take some beam shots of this and my other lasers for comparison.
Beep