Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opt Lasers 6X Cylindrical Testing

Did some tests with the Opt Lasers 6X Cylindrical lenses. I thought it was appropriate to test the three (3)Multimode - Highest output - RGB diodes that are currently available; The MitsuP73 for the Red line ( 638nm), the NDG7475 for the Green line ( 520nm) and the NUBM044 for the Blue line ( 450nm ).

ALL testing were done with the G2 Collimation lens and the Farfield target distance at 10M. The Nearfield was measured with no C-lenses, at 152mm, just with the Collimation lens in place. The following results were obtained.

Mitsu P73 Nearfield 2.1mm x 3mm
638nm Farfield 10mm x 3mm
Divergence mRad 0.802

NDG7475 Nearfield 2.0mm x 3mm
520nm Farfield 8.75mm x 4.5mm
Divergence mRad 0.685

NUBM044 Nearfield 4.5mm x 3mm
450nm Farfield 8.5mm x 4.5mm
Divergence mRad 0.406

See the attached Farfield pictures. They are not good....But then.....ALL metrics are accurate....So...There ya go... More details only available on a PM basis.

Good job Mateusz :beer:

Later.....CDBEAM

Attachments

• Mit P73 Corrected Farfield 10mm wide x 3mm tall.jpg
    Mit P73 Corrected Farfield 10mm wide x 3mm tall.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 178
  • NDG 7475 CORRECTED FAR FIELD 8.75mm wide x 4.5mm tall.jpg
    NDG 7475 CORRECTED FAR FIELD 8.75mm wide x 4.5mm tall.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 144
  • Corrected NUBM044 Farfield 8.5mm x 4.5mm @ 10 M.jpg
    Corrected NUBM044 Farfield 8.5mm x 4.5mm @ 10 M.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

The photos would be more representative if they were done against a black background or taken with a laser filter, such as safety goggle over the lens of the camera. Just going by your results, it seems to be pretty good for all. Thanks.

OK...Maybe sometime in the future...I will put more effort in my camera skills....The pics are....lame !! I know what my eye sees...I know what I measure...I have no vested interest in the results...BUT....I will try the black Target....BUT...It will need to be a steel plate....for....especially...the NUBM044....anything else will go.... "POOF" haha Beam out

Yeah, you are right, CDBEAM. I only mentioned it because you put the photos up. You could have just posted the results. I'm not criticizing you at all. + rep. :D

Last edited:
Well...Of COURSE...I am right HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I must take the time to develop my Photo skill set....which is currently...a POS !! I was not "BHurt" by your observation....just frustrated with my pics !!!

Really....what I want tado...sometime in 2017...cobble together a simple DIY Beam Profiler !! About a year ago...I was communicating with " Mixed Gas " about this very topic !! Sounds....like with some guidance, luck , surplus parts, work and perseverance......a rather good resolution unit can be DIY assembled....for under $ 300 !!!

This is how I will eventually go....if I could find the time....and a spare $ 300 ....Well...anyway...it is "On the List"....along with 20 other projects !!!!!

MAybe a Plate of Steel...with high temp black paint.....Anyway...I will experiment some....until I go the Beam Profiler route !!

Later,
CBEAM

Last edited:
That would be awesome! The ones that are being advertised to me are outrageous. They not only do the beam profile, but specto the laser to within 50 picometers too. Would give my left ^ut to have one, since it isn't doing me any good now anyway, but that's another story for another time. :D

What is the NUBM044? Is it the same as the NUBM44? That diode without expansion (edit: using 6 mm dia. lens) has close to 12 mRad, if I remember correctly. I'm looking at that low divergence and thinking, huh? How could that be, then I thought the NUBM044 must be a lower power version with less divergence. Then went looking for the 044, doesn't appear to exist, you must mean the NUBM44, so now I'm really scratching my head. Which side of the axis are you measuring for that divergence? Slow? Must be. Makes sense though, that is what you are expanding with the 6 X cylinder pairs, duh...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Another seller has them too, great, competition! I am eager to know more too.

I had asked Techhood to know more about these cylinder lenses and hoped he would come back with an X factor response, but he just wrote this:

New message from: techhood (12,363 YellowShooting Star) May 10, 2017

Hello,

The beam end size will be corrective by 60% around.

Robinson

Here are all the versions he sells:

IR 780-980 nm: Cylindrical Mirro Group for High Power 780nm-980nm IR Diode Beam Correction | eBay

Red 635-660 nm: Laser Cylindrical Mirro Group for High Power 635nm-660nm Diode Beam Correction | eBay

Green 520 nm: Laser Cylindrical Mirro Group/For High Power 520nm laser Diode Beam Correction | eBay

Blue 400-470 nm: Cylindrical Mirro Group for High Power 400nm-470nm IR Diode Beam Correction | eBay

Photo:

3%20ph.png

The listings indicate they are AR coated. Many sellers will list a popular range of wavelengths when the glass has no AR coating at all, and thus in reality can be used from IR to near UV, or the pieces have broadband coatings and can really be used for a much wider range. Having three sets of glass, they better be AR coated or the losses from reflections off each piece add up too much for me.

I've seen another China seller (Laserl*****) list a beam expander for 1064 nm, I bought it and when received had no AR coating for 1064 nm! Technically the seller was not lying, the BE could be used at 1064 nm but the assumption is if a specific wavelength is listed that it means AR coating at that wavelength, wrong! Other sellers will list broad band coated optics for separate ranges, just relist for each of the popular ranges when they really have BB AR coating which will work from red through blue. So, you must ask.

Too many sellers on ebay will just tell you what you want to hear, so best not to ask if something is good or not for a specific wavelength, if not in the listing just ask what the range is, and even if it is specified in the listing ask if AR coated and the true range in case broadband coated. I find it particularly disappointing when I ask more than one question and only one is answered, or the one I ask isn't answered properly which happens a LOT with the China sellers due to our native languages being so different.

Last edited:
Hi Chris...

Well.....ANY Cylindrical lens sets I have purchases/tried are BBar coated...about 400nm ~700nm. I do not understand why you would want anything else. The transmissivity for the Opt glass is 99.4% (IIRC)....SO....why the offerings for different C-lens sets....each specifically for a given range of R, G, or B...I dunno ??? Not much to be gained past 99.4%....so...this remains a puzzle as to why the different offerings ??? But really....who cares....for power output in the range we use....and likely.... power output for 100W...our eyes could not tell the difference !!!

As to China sellers....and some other sellers....I rarely have all my questions answered.
It is as if...it causes them PAIN to answer....as if....spending another 60 seconds to answer the question...well...it is just TOO much to ask.

So...either they deem it a waste of their time to answer...do not know the answer...or do not WANT to answer...because they do not want to supply the details to the competition !!
I dunno....but.... do not feed me this BS...that they do not understand !!! Questions are typical of a Scientific nature....and Science has a universal language !!!

Anytime I ask questions....I am very AR !!! I present EACH question....as a separate bullet point....in an outline format. And even then....typically.... They always somehow disappoint !!

Then again...I am typically....TOO detailed....hahaha...as this answer clearly demonstrates !!.....SOoooo....enough Blah, Blah.....

OH....I refer to this diode...
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/6w-nubm44-445nm-laser-diode
The 6W NUBM44 ( Or sometimes referred to as the NUBM044)

The C-lenses magnify the Slow Axis...which greatly reduces the divergence.

Later...Beam Out

Looking at the radius of those non-Opt first lens, None of them look like they are 6X correction, They look at most like 3X or maybe 4X correction.....

I added a focusing knob to my Opt 6X lens pair which let's me change the focal length of the 6X correction on the fast axis on the fly by turning the knob and sliding the front lens forwards or backwards in relation to the back lens of the 6X lens pair, It has proven it's self to be very useful !

Last edited:
CDBEAM, I'd prefer my lenses BB coated for the entire vis range and they very well might be, but try to sell them for specific ranges because when someone is searching, they search for a blue AR coating instead of broad band, that is my best guess as to why they are doing that, if really BB.

Accu., have any photo's of that mechanism?

The addition of the horizontal middle cylindrical lens in a trio is new to me. Has anyone used these to see if they actually offer any advantage over the cylindrical lens pairs? The need for the additional lens is not immediately clear to me.

Last edited:
Donno either, but it appears to expand both axis, does it not? One more than the other though. Strange to do that, I think... my best guess, that's all. Robinson wrote back to me and said on Tuesday he will be testing those lenses and get back with me with some more info.