Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opinions / Suggestions

What is most refreshing here is the fact that most are overtly conscientious of safety - Kudos to you all! I do genuinely value my sight, especially given some of the "treats" I get to peruse on a daily basis :eg: However, I will be purchasing new protective goggles with this acquisition because the set I have now are pretty worn down. Nonetheless, have any of you had any direct experience with Laserer's 2 watt unit?

You can get a 2W+ laser from the member Lazerer.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/fs-2-2w-445nm-laser-3x-18650-host-called-big-boy-71849.html

It comes with goggles, and a huge host for better run time.

What is most refreshing here is the fact that most are overtly conscientious of safety - Kudos to you all! I do genuinely value my sight, especially given some of the "treats" I get to peruse on a daily basis :eg: However, I will be purchasing new protective goggles with this acquisition because the set I have now are pretty worn down. Nonetheless, have any of you had any direct experience with Laserer's 2 watt unit?

Being an owner of a half a dozen of Lazeerer's creations.... you really can't do any better as laser builds are concerned.

There is also a chinese company that goes by a similar name, (with only one "e") there is absolutely no comparison in the quality.

Triple edit: Just to be clear, lazerer is a great company, and the owner is a regular here on LPF.... but there is just absolutely no comparing his products to lazeerer's builds... you're looking at one of a kind, made to order builds, vs mass produced binned for quality products.

Last edited:
Sorry, spelled his name wrong. Its Lazeere (Angelos) and he is a top notch builder, and backs up his work with a warranty.

I too do apologize for having referred to this specific member incorrectly - No ill intent :) I just watched on video on that beast; Nice, but, actually more than I need. I will probably be going with a median power of between 1.3 to 1.8 watts maximum; This unit is going to need be very reliable with a good duty cycle as well. Can anyone volunteer what the typical duty cycle will be for this aforementioned average?

We're can I buy one to burn holes threw people? JK, but no seriously, something like 50W?Heven if it takes 2 hands and is attacked to a backpack powered by a car battery. (nuclear reactor would be fine too, I'd I can carry it. )

I too do apologize for having referred to this specific member incorrectly - No ill intent :) I just watched on video on that beast; Nice, but, actually more than I need. I will probably be going with a median power of between 1.3 to 1.8 watts maximum; This unit is going to need be very reliable with a good duty cycle as well. Can anyone volunteer what the typical duty cycle will be for this aforementioned average?

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/new-products-survival-laser-store-71864.html

Enjoy :eg:

Ash

Yes we are big on safety here due to the fact that we all* know the true value of one's eyesight is exponentially greater than a few pairs of safety glasses (different glasses for different wavelength [IE: blue safety glasses will not protect you from a blue laser])
I highly recommend Eagle Pair site
Well worth the money (because ophthalmologist visits get expensive) :cool:
I'm sure Lazeerer is totally cool with you misspelling his name. He's totally different from the lazerer online China website with a similar name (as mentioned by InfinitusEquitas).
What the lazerer wesite sells is mostly assembly-line "middle quality" China-made lasers. Don't get me wrong, they are a great site, and one of the better China laser sites.

What Lazeerer makes are usually one of a kind extremely high quality lasers.
His lasers are built with exceptional precision, attention to detail and tested components. You will pay a few $ more (mW/mW), but they are an extremely high quality product that will last a lot longer than the cheap China junk lasers will.

Alternately, you could build your own for ~100, or get a kit from Garoq for about $150.
Word of caution: lasers >500mW are no fucking joke. If used carelessly, a laser this powerful can burn your retina faster than you can blink. link

*all here means "the intelligent members"

*all here means "the intelligent members"

Do I fit in that category? :thinking:

At least I'm funny, and personable.

Personality, and character go along way in life, you know.

We cant all be know it alls. :na:

Last edited:
Thanx for the link for those multiple wavelength safety glasses, they were just what I was looking for!

Ash

Do I fit in that category? :thinking:
Of course. :thinking:
Two years ago it seemed your mantra was "OEM glasses or die". Now, I think we can agree that there is a place for cheap glasses, and cheap safety glasses are surely better than nothing. :whistle:
But, a false sense of security can be very dangerous. IMO those cheapos are good for scattered light, but never for a direct hit. *eyepatch-smiley
Thanx for the link for those multiple wavelength safety glasses, they were just what I was looking for!
No problem. That multi wavelength pair is the set I use most often. Too bad there isn't very much VLT, so things look a bit dark. They do protect very well. :cool:

Is it always better to have specific sets of prtective eyewear for each wavelength or is a multi wavelength pair just as efficient in protection?

Ash

If you look at the specs for those multi-wavelength ones, they are good against Green, Blue, Bluray and IR lasers. They do not block red (635nm or 660nm) lasers.

Okay, Thanx :) Are there any glasses that comprehensively cover the entire spectrum? And, are also of good quality?

Anything north of 1.5W in 445nm is nothing short of a continuous lightening bolt! Extremely dangerous.

Glenn

I concur with the aforementioned statement that once 1.5 watts is exceeded, the danger level is palpable. However, even at that wattage, your eyes will be protected if proper eyewear is equipped (or am I mistaken?)

Anything north of 1.5W in 445nm is nothing short of a continuous lightening bolt! Extremely dangerous.

Glenn

Heck, I'd go lower than that. My thinking - based on the Sony safety literature that I've seen posted elsewhere and is also on this site - that 500mW is about where you go from "moderately dangerous" to "extremely risky."

Don't get me wrong, I have a 1.5+ Watt 445, but most of my lasers top out around 500mW as a practical limit for great brightness in any color and still some safety/room for error.

I'm not saying 500mW is safe, but that seems to be the tipping point where they start to get really dangerous.

I concur with the aforementioned statement that once 1.5 watts is exceeded, the danger level is palpable. However, even at that wattage, your eyes will be protected if proper eyewear is equipped (or am I mistaken?)

As long as your goggles are truly reducing the beam to a power of ~ 5mW on the eyeball side of the lens, then yes. You still want to be careful not to forget, have a beam enter from under the goggles or burn through with an extended beam. And of course never purposely look into a beam head on, even with goggles.

Last edited: