Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opinions / Suggestions

Hello to all. I am new here to your forum. Wanted to engage the insights of some of the more veteraned members. I am curious to know what the strongest handheld laser currently available is? I am by no means an expert but more of a hobbyiest. I am looking for something that is handheld, portable, battery operated. I am looking forward to your replies. Thanx :)

daguin

We're starting to see them above 2W (2000mW)

Peace,
dave

Hi dave! And, Thanx Very Much for the contribution :) Are these 2 watt lasers readily available? And, are they battery operated?

Lase

Hi dave! And, Thanx Very Much for the contribution :) Are these 2 watt lasers readily available? And, are they battery operated?

Yes they are (on both counts)

If you were after a custom built handheld, they can be made more powerful.

Regardless, if you are after a strong laser you should also be looking to purchase safety goggles, as at these powers your eyes can be damaged in an instant.

Lase

Keep in mind that these high power builds come with a cost (and I don't just mean monetary!). The duty cycle on a 2W laser needs to be observed strictly, these diodes only hit that level because they are extra efficient, you don't want to degrade a super diode for a stupid reason.

Yes, I do definitely understand that glasses are absolutely necessary. I do appreciate advising that following the duty cycle carefully is of the essence. Any recommendations as to where they can be purchased from a reliable source? I reside in Canada.

Lase

Here is a link to a custom build by a valued member of this forum. It will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

The Beacon

Lase

Ash

1W 445nm ~$150
1.7W 445nm ~$250
2.1W 445nm +$400 link - (sold)

With a 2W 445nm laser, you are either looking at a very short duty cycle (with normal laser size) or a slightly longer duty cycle when built into a host with a very massive heatsink. These diodes are "over-driven" to get 2W and the laser will not last long at this power.
~1.6W is the sweetspot for the M140 diodes (long life).

Thank You Very Much Folks! This is indeed exactly the kind of information I was looking for as well as references needed. Had i not found this site, I was seriously considering just purchasing "The Most Powerful Handheld Laser in the World by Wicked lasers - S3 Krypton or an Arctic version; But, after read some things on the forum here..............

Joe Mo

Thank You Very Much Folks! This is indeed exactly the kind of information I was looking for as well as references needed. Had i not found this site, I was seriously considering just purchasing "The Most Powerful Handheld Laser in the World by Wicked lasers - S3 Krypton or an Arctic version; But, after read some things on the forum here..............

Good call, you almost got sucked into that.

You mean you don't want the world's most powerful 700mw laser? :wave:

But yes, if you have never handled a >5mw laser before I can't stress the safety factor enough. I just read a thread yesterday where someone shined a 2W laser across a LCD monitor and ruined it instantly. Just imagine what your eyes would do :(

happy trails good buddy and welcome :wave:

I've been also trying to determine if there is an "ideal" wavelength for a laser rated above 1 watt, or, is that ultimately dependant upon the objective intended for the system? On other words, is there a better spectrometer reading for burning, long distance visibility, beam focusability, etc? Thanx

As the common handheld laser builds on the forum go...

405nm is the best for per mW when it comes to burning.

445nm is where we're currently seeing the most powerful handheld builds. At over 1W, visibility is also great.

532nm is by far the most visible as it's closer to our peak sensitivity, which iirc is ~555nm.

We're also now seeing a lot of 500mW+ 635nm builds, and of course there are always the older 660nm lasers. The reds are not the most visible or the best for burning though.

If you're looking for industrial applications, that's a whole different ball game.

So, would it be accurate to state that, as a sort of middle ground reference, at around the range of 445nm both burn capability as well as visibility essentially converge?

So, would it be accurate to state that, as a sort of middle ground reference, at around the range of 445nm both burn capability as well as visibility essentially converge?

That would be correct. 1W+ of 445nm is very visible and will also do well in terms of burning.

Of course there is the issue of safety to consider when you're dealing with a class 4 laser.

You absolutely do need to utilize proper protection... see the links in my signature for where to buy good goggles.