Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

OPHIR head help

I just picked up a used OPHIR head and need some info about it, I have looked on there site but came up with nothing, dose any one know where to get technical data on these heads ?

This one is a 150W-.04-C-R00

It has water cooling ports that look like they have never been used, I was told it came off a medical Co2 laser and is supposed to be in working order.

Thanks for any help ;)

ru124t

Very cool! Looks like you could make a death ray with it or something real sinister , maybe a cigarette lighter that is water cooled! Cant really help beyond that, sorry.

Very cool! Looks like you could make a death ray with it or something real sinister , maybe a cigarette lighter that is water cooled! Cant really help beyond that, sorry.

You do realize this is for measuring a laser's power, and not an actual laser head, right? lol

djQUAN

Based on the part number, I'd say 150W max power, 0.4V/W output. supply will probably be the same as the 20C heads. Can you post a pic of the internal board?

:eek: just realized something, you said it came from a Co2 rig and was water cooled? That's not good iirc. That means the sensor was calibrated by Ophir to read Co2 lasers and aren't Co2 lasers above 808nm?

There is two versions of the "20" sensors.......20-SH which is calibrated to Co2 iirc and 20-C which is calibrated to the visible spectrum, believe it is 445nm but I'd have to dig the ophir data sheet up that I daw this on.

Ok found spec sheet and this is what the model number translates to: 150W-.04-C-R00

150W max reading ONLY if water cooled (not sure if it is proper to use without water cool)
0.04 is 0.04V/W sensitivity
C is calibrated for Co2

If it was a 150A then it'd be customer calibrated

Spec sheet is a pdf and im on my phone so I can't post it too easily but just google ophir 20c-a-1-y and its like the third one down the list

Thanks a bunch man I'll go check that out right now ;)

Ok found spec sheet and this is what the model number translates to: 150W-.04-C-R00

150W max reading ONLY if water cooled (not sure if it is proper to use without water cool)
0.04 is 0.04V/W sensitivity
C is calibrated for Co2

If it was a 150A then it'd be customer calibrated

Spec sheet is a pdf and im on my phone so I can't post it too easily but just google ophir 20c-a-1-y and its like the third one down the list

I couldn't find what the R00 was but I'm sure its there somewhere. I found it odd that the C on the 150 was for Co2 but the C in the 20C was for user calibrated. I do the spec sheet has examples of model numbers and what they stand for

Yea I could not see what the R00 stands for either, now I wonder if I can use this for 1-10 watt lasers, I will probably have to re-calibrate it for visible laser beams ?

Any one have any ideas :thinking:

Trevor and Alex would know best. I think alex has recalibrated a few ophirs

ARG

Dunno much about these CO2 heads actually, sorry :/

You can operate it without water cooling for low powered (handheld) lasers, but if you want to measure CO2 lasers you better get it hooked up :p

As for the recalibration for the visible spectrum I have no idea if that will be necessary or not. Depends on the spectral linearity of the sensor.

If you already have a power meter you should be able to test it out and see how close it reads to your other one.

its calibrated for far IR only. I doubt the coatings are designed to allow proper readings of visible light. you'd have to check the spec sheet. but yes its a 150W head if water cooled. i think you can request info on the sensor heads from ophir. both spec and pinouts

I looked for over an hour and cold not look at the screen any more, can any one help, I'm not the best when it comes to computers, I can not seem to find a place on the ophir site where this sensor is listed, could I just be looking in the wrong place ?? this sensors part number is 17058 and the model is 150W-.04-C-R00 and the ophir site is Laser Power Meter | Infrared optics | co2 laser optics - Ophir Laser Measurement

Thanks for any help ;)

i think you can request info on the sensor heads from ophir. both spec and pin outs

neilw

The power sensor that you have is from a 700 watt CO2 laser that was built by PLC medical.
It is used to calibrate the laser power at about 600 watts for very short bursts. They are using the rate of change rather than the stable power level to measure the laser power. The unit has been calibrated by PLC and the circuit is modified as well. You will likely not find any docs that cover it because it was custom for only that customer. It can be calibrated to whatever gain works for you if you have a laser of known power to work with. I do not suggest using it without cooling much past about 10 watts.
The pins are:
1 -15V
2 GND
3 15V
4 OUT