Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Opera tutorials, try and tell me

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date

I thought i would put me 100th post here! Considering i am currently on Opera.
Cheers
-stnfrdpolo

Why yes i did! I even deleted internet explorer, no longer needing my old browser.

D

Deleted member 8382

Ough, changing from FF to Opera is alredy good, but changing from IE to Opera is such a BIG improvement, :D

Delete the link to IE but do never delete the aplication itself (iexplore.exe) since Windows will start giving you problems ;)

Ough, changing from FF to Opera is alredy good, but changing from IE to Opera is such a BIG improvement, :D

Delete the link to IE but do never delete the aplication itself (iexplore.exe) since Windows will start giving you problems ;)

That's the first thing I did when I got chrome and now I deleted chrome. I mean the link AND APPLICATION. I've never had any problems.

D

Deleted member 8382

ofc deleting chrome doesn¡t give any problem, the problem is that IE is an escential part of windows (that's what I read somewhere) and it¡s really not recommendable to delete the application.

I'm happy to see some chrome users also switched :)

D

Deleted member 8382

bump!

10 people have tried, there are hundreds of users!

Between bookmarklets, an insane number of add-ons and about config tweaks you can get firefox to do most of these things, and in some cases better. So what are you left with? Speed? Just download Firefox minefield and disable auto updates as soon as you get a stable build. Also, adsweep is terrible. I love how their page shows it blocking more ads than adblock plus, it's not even close. Pages like kotaku load much faster for me with adblock plus and minefield than with opera/chrome and adsweep, and adsweep won't even block all the ads! Shows how real life > synthetic benches any day. Even the scrolling in firefox can be made better than opera's with a simple add-on. Right now I'm using a chrome skin and other chrome related add-ons. So I can get the fastest browsing, the best looks, and all the features and beyond with Firefox Minefield. If you want to have the perfect browsing experience there you go. If anyone's interested I can show you how to set it all up. And yes, I've tried the latest opera, chrome, and safari (shudders) extensively.

deskhb.png

Got to love stylish!

D

Deleted member 8382

what you are basically telling us is that you are changing the skin to make it look like another browser, and adding lots of addons to allow firefox to do all what Opera does by itself. Then, however, I might tell you the same you said. What's left of firefox? And why are you chaning so many things when Opera can do everything by itself?

Again, do you have integrated IRC/torrent/mail client?

About the adsweep, I simply don't use ad blockers, a part from that I can't see why you might spend so many time in setting everything up when it's as easy as installing a single software. You won't have to upgrade the addons, your browser will run better since your cpu won't need to open so many scripts...

One of the things I like the most in Opera is that it has ALL features you might need on it while it's a very light program. When people compare the memory usage etc they don't keep in mind how many added features Opera has. I would like to see those speed/memory usage/cpu etc.. tests with all those addons you need on firefox...

You made a remark about how it takes time for some people to get opera how they want it. Well adding ad-ons in firefox isn't really any different. What you have left with firefox is the ability to go much further than just copying other features from other browsers. The number of useful ad-ons is truly mind boggling. While I'm sure adding too many modifications may have some performance impact, the average amount of 5-10 has negligible impact, and by default ff3.5 has less memory usage than opera10. Minefield expands on that lead, so you certainly have some leeway. As for memory overall... in the event there's some insane memory leak with one of the more helpful ad-ons I doubt I'll have an issue with 8 GBs of ram :) I will say that certain users (assuming worst case performance penalty for the ad-ons) may get better performance out of opera if they truly need every one of those features you've been mentioning. From quick google searches it does appear though there really is an ad-on for all those features.

You'd rather get 100000 addons to try and imitate what Opera has already included?

It didn't take me much time to get mine as I wanted it: Remove the menu, remove everything but tabs and address bar. There, almost 90% of screen available with minor tweaks.

Asherz

I've been using google chrome on windows 7, and there seems to be no real reason to change to opera when google chrome does everything I need:

Tabs & simplicity

And with Opera it seems like you have to do so much to get it working the way you want, you say "it can do this, you just have to download this add-on."

Really isn't worth the effort to try something that is already done brilliantly by google chrome and firefox.

Grix

I tried it, but I'm definately staying with firefox. About the integrated programs like IRC/torrent etc: Wtf. Browser integrated plugins like that sucks very much, it's a complete waste of the size and speed of Opera. Just download XChat, uTorrent and Thunderbird instead. Also, FF can get that too with addons, but I'd rather not have it.