Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Open Source LaserBee SDK!

Trevor

Now that I've got a full time job and have finished my grad degree, I need a spare time project... probably will pick up LPM things again. If anyone has tried to get this code to work recently, you might have run into some issues.

This SDK assumes a LaserBee I, so it's based on a PIC16F628A chip paired with an MCP3221 12-bit A/D converter. The LaserBee II kept the same PIC chip and went to an ADS1100 16-bit A/D converter, so this code won't work on those without some modification. I've got a LaserBee II here I came by a number of years ago (3? 4?) but ran out of spare time.

The most major change came more recently with the 3.7W USB model - most are intended to discourage DIY mods. Jerry started sanding off chip numbers and switched to a PIC16F88. In addition, he started using the internal crystal oscillator and wired a crystal to the wrong pins on the chip as a decoy. He also switched the A/D converter to an MCP3421 and hid it under the PIC chip. Knowing those things, I've got working code for the 3.7W LaserBee as well.

Didn't realize I'd never posted updated hardware info, wouldn't want to deprive you DIY'ers of crucial information! :beer:

Just a quick note: All of the above info was gathered through use of a PIC programer as well as just looking at the PCB. Nothing nefarious, nothing illegal, nothing "proprietary." Just good old fashioned DIY goodness. :)

EDIT: Whoop, download link was broken. Fixed that.

Trevor

Last edited:

Now that I've got a full time job and have finished my grad degree, I need a spare time project... probably will pick up LPM things again. If anyone has tried to get this code to work recently, you might have run into some issues.

This SDK assumes a LaserBee I, so it's based on a PIC16F628A chip paired with an MCP3221 12-bit A/D converter. The LaserBee II kept the same PIC chip and went to an ADS1100 16-bit A/D converter, so this code won't work on those without some modification. I've got a LaserBee II here I came by a number of years ago (3? 4?) but ran out of spare time.

The most major change came more recently with the 3.7W USB model - most are intended to discourage DIY mods. Jerry started sanding off chip numbers and switched to a PIC16F88. In addition, he started using the internal crystal oscillator and wired a crystal to the wrong pins on the chip as a decoy. He also switched the A/D converter to an MCP3421 and hid it under the PIC chip. Knowing those things, I've got working code for the 3.7W LaserBee as well.

Didn't realize I'd never posted updated hardware info, wouldn't want to deprive you DIY'ers of crucial information! :beer:

Just a quick note: All of the above info was gathered through use of a PIC programer as well as just looking at the PCB. Nothing nefarious, nothing illegal, nothing "proprietary." Just good old fashioned DIY goodness. :)

EDIT: Whoop, download link was broken. Fixed that.

Trevor

Actually, a equally good solution is to move to an arduino platform. the Arduino DUE or Arduino Mega ADK (has a very fast 12bit ADC built into the processor)
It also can be used for outputting data to Labview if you really wanted to go that far with it...

Have a look here... with some modification you could modify this kind of idea.

Last edited:
I think we really need to build a really open-source-hardware LPM to accommodate the hobbyist without making someone feels butthurt :crackup:

For as far as i know, the only open hardware available here are not really an open platform nor having a good features (unless i'm missing something)
meanwhile, i'm actually going to do that by disclosing the source files and tutorial for building the Hyperion Ferrum platform on this forums. just wait and see.

Last edited:
I think we really need to build a really open-source-hardware LPM to accommodate the hobbyist without making someone feels butthurt :crackup:

For as far as i know, the only open hardware available here are not really an open platform nor having a good features (unless i'm missing something)
meanwhile, i'm actually going to do that by disclosing the source files and tutorial for building the Hyperion Ferrum platform on this forums. just wait and see.

Yes, and a high speed ADC that is present in the arduino DUE world be excellent and capable of 12bit @ ~1Msps sampling.
We need to sample an analog voltage signal something similar to the below link:

Digital Arduino Voltmeter 0V-12V-30V

https://www.arduino-board.com/projects/arduino-voltmeter

The Arduino UNO probably isn't sufficient enough for what we need if we want precision. (accommodating for wavelength etc)