Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

open can removal

i got a lite-on 20x dvd burner with a open can and iam having a killer time removing it lol and i was wondering if any 1 else had a problem removing open can diodes and if so what made it like easier to get out

Gazoo

Same drive I took one out of. It is a royal pain. I nipped away around it with a small pair of dikes. I would have used a dremel but because it is open, and the way it is mounted in there, I did not want to risk it. I hope you can get it out without ruining it. They are awesome diodes.

Things

i have a lite on dvd burner, but i haven't pulled it apart for the laser. i don't think i want to pull it apart, since i'm getting a diode from senkat. if you figure it out, let us know ;)

Gazoo said:
Same drive I took one out of. It is a royal pain. I nipped away around it with a small pair of dikes. I would have used a dremel but because it is open, and the way it is mounted in there, I did not want to risk it. I hope you can get it out without ruining it. They are awesome diodes.
ill try the dikes and did you get a ir laser? both of mine emitted red, was diode style and the other was like a circuit

Gazoo

I didn't even bother with the other one. Even if it is emitting red, it would be very dim since it is infrared. Do not look into it.

I too use strong side cutters to try cracking the casting. If you get ahold of it just right, they crack open. Be careful with the dim red one. It puts out IR.

Mike

i ruined the diode lol was trying to cut it open it slipped out flew across the room smacked the wall real hard then the title and doesn't light up lol

Gazoo

Ahhhhh...darn. Sorry to hear that. Well, the next best thing right now are the SenKat GB diodes. They are very powerful, but I do not believe they are as powerful as an open can. Or take a look at Daedal's new group buy.

Gazoo

Well I can assure you, you will not be disappointed. I am already on my second one..lol. I was cooling the first one with a peltier and it got drenched in condensation because I was freezing the diode.... :'( So I lowered the current on the peltier so it is a little cooler than room temperature with the diode running. Diode number 2 is very happy :)