Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

One Dumb Ass With Wicked Laser Ruins It For All Of Us

I just read an article referenced on another forum about a guy injuring a pilot with his Wicked Laser Arctic.
As documented in this month's "Rotor & Wing" magazine.

See pages 18 and 64 :

iMirus Online Digital Reader
iMirus Online Digital Reader
The commentary on p64 suggests the days are numbered for those wanting to buy or own a high powered laser in the US.

Too many really dumb people are calling too much attention to the dangers of owning lasers, and it won't be too long, before this wonderful freedom in the US is more restricted than owning a handgun.

At least with our US history, we need not justify why we need or want to own a handgun. But good luck justifying why you need or want a laser. That isn't gonna happen. We all know there is little justification in owning a laser.

Freedom to own is the American way. Sadly, so is freedom to abuse. I predict this continued abuse will eventually result in restricted access.

Luckily we are completely free here in South Africa with lasers thanks to crappy law enforcement and laws! Good luck for you Americans, hope the restrictions doesn't get any worse!

Crap. Well, we knew it was bound to happen.

The laws in place now, for people who are caught, are already pretty harsh. As well they should be.

Technically importing and re-selling is also already illegal.

What I'm afraid of now, is more drastic policies like those in Australia, where mere possession is a crime.

jArdi

Crap. Well, we knew it was bound to happen.

The laws in place now, for people who are caught, are already pretty harsh. As well they should be.

Technically importing and re-selling is also already illegal.

What I'm afraid of now, is more drastic policies like those in Australia, where mere possession is a crime.

Ouch. thats harsh. i guess its time though we start stocking up on as many as we can withing the next few months or so :D

I just hope they dont require a permit or something for a labby or gas laser. That'll really upset me :cryyy:

No, labbies should be fine, even in australia no one is really concerned with them.

I suppose if the worst were to happen, I'd sell of most of my collection to canadian and european members, and use the funds to buy a halfway decent projector.

I wonder if some sort of option for registration of grandfathered in lasers would be possible. Highly unlikely, but one can dream.

Last edited:
I like my handhelds too :(!

^ Agreed. That would be my next step if laser laws started raining on us. At least professional projector prices are out of reach of the average Joe with an extra paycheck to spend.

ARG

Lousy reporting if you ask me, that article is almost like an add for Wicked Lasers. They didn't have to name the company, or the brand of laser for it to be a good article.
"Only 299$, it's so powerful it can pop balloons and nearly blind a pilot from 600ft. Safety glasses included! [Buy yours now!]"

Oh and this part too:
"Once the word gets out about how nasty these devices are the bad guys will start using them"
...and this article is only aiding in getting the word out there.

Last edited:
Do you guys think lasers will wind up being controlled like guns. Ex. Background checks, age requirements, FLL(federal laser license).

Do you know the law in France ?

Using or holding high power laser = Fine of 7500€ (9757.50 USD)

In US you can have a gun, but not a laser ? xD

Last edited:
Certainly not to the same degree, or with the same flexibility.

Most likely any lasers over 5mW would just become illegal overnight. Or to operate one would become illegal if you are not licensed, in effect achieving the same result.

The articles were lacking badly in the investigation aspect. Research seemed to have consisted of a few minutes on youtube, and perusing some google search results, nothing more. Unfortunately they do show clearly the way most people react... laser... vodoo... bad juju.... must not be allowed for the common folk.

TBH it looks more like he's been in a fight...:whistle: From most of the reports out there, it would seem that the police are trying to drum up bad publicity against lasers in general. Having said that, I definitely do not condone the actions of those idiots on the ground, but I do wonder sometimes whether these stories maybe exaggerated in order for them to help satisfy their (probable) ultimate agenda of an all out ban...:(

Last edited:
TBH it looks more like he's been in a fight...:whistle:

That's a very good point. The damage from the laser at that distance could only be to the retina....

41094d1362598919-one-dumb-ass-wicked-laser-ruins-all-us-eye.jpg

Attachments

• Eye.jpg
    Eye.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 3,430
Last edited: