Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

On a mission..

So I have been reading the forums on DIY lasers for about 2 hours straight now..I feel like I need some clarification before I drop money on something..

The entirety of the laser unit is:

Power source -> Driver/Flexdrive (Regulates current to ensure diode doesn't take too many mA's. Can be adjusted with a potentiometer) -> Diode (Usually fitted into an AixiZ module.)

Is this correct?

1.) What materials do I need to have to build one after buying a jayrob build kit besides the ones he lists? (Diode, driver, module.)

2.) How do I figure out the setting (mA) on the driver?

3.) Would it be hard to press a diode into a module? I've seen some videos using a press, but I'm on a college campus...not too many tools are accessible.

4.) What would be a suggestion for the cheapest first DIY laser that involves the same concepts as all the others?

5.) It seems I'll be spending near $115 for a 405nm 200mW DIY, should I do a DIY or just buy the O-Like 200mW for $106? Is there any saving money in DIY?

I know I have TONS of questions, I'm really sorry if this isn't in the right section or something. I'm a complete newbie, so I apologize, all of your help is greatly appreciated. You guys are great, and I hope to actually contribute something soon enough.

Last edited:

Click the first link in my sig. Then the second for more finer details.

You will need a test load to set the current of the driver.

Okay, I read that pretty extensively. I'm hoping everything I typed is pretty accurate. What about those other questions that aren't specific to that topic? Do you have a specific diode pressing technique?

Rafa

Wow another metalead here on the forum, lol.

If you are not a noob in electronics you should build your own driver, way more cheap and things, you know.

Morgan

Okay, I read that pretty extensively. I'm hoping everything I typed is pretty accurate. What about those other questions that aren't specific to that topic? Do you have a specific diode pressing technique?

You've probably seen the video of a diode being pressed with the back end of an Aixiz module if you've checked out the links TJ suggests but if not, and you missed it, there is one linked in the guide. There are also diode press tools available from forum members and a thread called, "Inexpensive Diode Press Tool", so have a search for that one.

There really isn't any easy way to press a diode without using a vice, however, regardless of your diode press tool. You shouldn't find it too hard to get a couple of minutes of intimate time with one though. I feel sure your college will have one somewhere. ;)

By your questions, you seem to me to have been reading so its a matter of continuing with the good work. It is time consuming and patience is one of the most important tools you need in your kit! You'll get there much quicker if you don't rush though. Counter intuative but true none-the-less.

For a cheap starter kit and a one stop buy, I haven't seen better than these -

http://odicforce.com/shop/category_13/Laser-Hosts-and-Laser-Kits.html?shop_param=cid=&

All you need for a first build with full instructions. I, personally, would go for the 300mW version as the diode is one we use regularly, (from the LPC-815 sled, nicknamed the LOC). This is because even with the driver maxed out, it is still unlikely to kill the diode. They come set at 200mA as standard and you can just hook it up and you're away. Check the, "Review", section for a couple of reviews on these.

Once you've built one, you'll probably want to move on to bigger and better but a good first buy, IMO.

Good luck...

M
:)

Last edited:

jmd

I am a complete noob at this but nearly finished building my first diy laser.

I got a 445nm A140 diode from pontiacg5, heatsink, aixiz module and lens from jayrob, microboost from drlava (i think) and I'm just waiting on DX sending my host.

Got all the electronics put together the other night, used a 4mm socket and a hammer to press the diode, working perfectly after it.

I soldered the jumpers on the driver then turned the pot right up, that's close enough for my needs, it doesn't really matter to me the exact power it's running.

There are a couple of things you can use for a diode press. A .22 cal empty bullet or a brake line adjuster on a bicycle works well. The diode should be counter sunk in the AixiZ module head. It will still work if its flush, but counter sinking is better for focusing.

Thanks! You guys are extremely helpful. I will be ordering that kit with the 300mW. I got a couple .22 shells lying around, that's a great idea. Thanks!