Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

OMG can somebody explain this

pwNd

This is my second attempt to create red laser of dvd diode. First time I used 16x diode and I forgot to short out capacitor so I killed diode. This time I used 22x LOC diode from LG dvd burner. I properly extracted it from the heatsink, then I installed in aixiz. My driver is homemade and is based on lm317, i put 1ohm resistor and 100 ohm pot. Then i used 4x1n4007 diodes + 1ohm resistor to set current. I measured current across resistor and set a pot so I have 418 mA and voltage across diodes was 3,2 V. Then I disconnected it and shorted out capacitor. I also cut the power supply off. After that I connected the 22x diode which I installed in aixiz housing and connected batteries. All I got was faint red glow :scowl:
Now, can anyone explain this?

Doofus

This is my second attempt to create red laser of dvd diode. First time I used 16x diode and I forgot to short out capacitor so I killed diode. This time I used 22x LOC diode from LG dvd burner. I properly extracted it from the heatsink, then I installed in aixiz. My driver is homemade and is based on lm317, i put 1ohm resistor and 100 ohm pot. Then i used 4x1n4007 diodes + 1ohm resistor to set current. I measured current across resistor and set a pot so I have 418 mA and voltage across diodes was 3,2 V. Then I disconnected it and shorted out capacitor. I also cut the power supply off. After that I connected the 22x diode which I installed in aixiz housing and connected batteries. All I got was faint red glow :scowl:
Now, can anyone explain this?

I have no idea what you're talking about, as I'm a complete idiot, but pictures always help. Especially since in a picture, one can see something that "might not be hooked up right" or "oh that looks fried".

pwNd

I cant make pictures right now, but Im sure that nothing was connected wrong, as I tested everything using dummy load and I also shorted capacitor and i used the switch between batteries and driver. I uploaded schematics for driver i used

Attachments

• FKRCK3QFLB4PPB7.MEDIUM.gif
    FKRCK3QFLB4PPB7.MEDIUM.gif
    33.5 KB · Views: 601

pwNd

yes I did, I also used dummy load, and set everything. An if I soldered lm317t wrong, I would probably not get the readings over the dummy load...

daguin

Without watching your work, it is very difficult to identify the problem.

How do you remove the diode from the sled?

How do you remove the diode from its heat sink?

How fast are you with your solder joints?

What kind of switch are you using?

Are you using your ESD religiously?

Have you checked to see that your driver isn't delivering a spike at start-up (or later)?

Are you using your actual power source to set (or re-check) the current before attaching your diode?

Have you tried to build one using one of the commercial drivers?

Peace,
dave

Are you measuring the current= Ma or using the votage setting on your DVM = Mv.

Over the 1 ohm resistor in volts for current reading...thats what I've been told in the past.

I doubt that the differance betwwen the 2 setting would have been enough to fry that 22x those are pretty hardy.

Anywho keep at it and you'll prevail:).

just buy a 13$ pre assembled driver from Ryan AKA Rkcstr about 300 to 420 ma
you decide then assemble it .that way I am 3 for 3 with red builds 100% success
now the next three will fail on me lol

pwNd

I just popped out the heatsink with diode from sled, it wasnt glued

It was diode with closed on the top heatsink so i used file and filed it on the sides, then I used pilers and twisted it so the heatsink broke and diode came out

I soldered it very fast, I didnt even touch the diode with soldering iron, I put some solder on the wire and then just touched the pin with it.

Im using this switch

I used ESD but I dont know what you mean by religiously

I dont know how to check that spikes but driver has the capacitor(which prevents spikes?)

I was using the same power source all the time.

And yes I have dummy load and I measured mV across 1ohm resistor and volatage across 4 1n4007 diodes.

daguin

You explain everything like you did it right. The only thing left would be to watch you. Many hundreds have been successful. You will be too.

Peace,
dave