Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Old Man's Brilliant Idea

I just got a 4X4 and it's damn near imposible to park in my narrow carport. At best the tires clear by 2" on each side. I dare ya to drive forward or worse yet back out drive without hitting,

Here's my idea. Mount a laser pointer in the front grill, somehow dead on centered. Operate it by a toggle switch mounted under the dash. Power it by the truck battery.

On the tool shed at the end of the drive mount a tiny target, dead center. I'm thinking I could steer by looking for the beam to move off target.

If you answer please keep in mind I'm a slightly befuddled (I live on prescribed opiates for a severe bad back) old man and know zilch about lasers.

I can't afford to have the carport widened so I have to come up with some kind of workable solution.

Two lasers might work better. If you have one on target, it doesn't necessarily mean your truck is dead center.

With one mounted on each side of your truck you can have a better idea of how much clearance you have on each side.
...Just throwin around some ideas...
Be careful not to turn on the lasers while you are on the road!

Last edited:

Things

Yeah, I'd put one on each side of the vehicle, and just have 2 targets on the wall in front of you.

Driving down the road you notice, oops im shooting everyone with my laser...

Curb feeler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

curb-feelers-500-624498429_613d718c79_zwtmk_zps86339ca1.jpg

I had the same problem but had a little more room than you. I used tennis balls with a string through them hung from above. Put them at the entry and mid way in. Won't scratch and will help you stay aligned. Two on each side placed maybe an inch away on each side should work. Just a thought.

^^Thats what my step mother needed so she would stop hitting the wall... And, be over enough...

I just got a 4X4 and it's damn near imposible to park in my narrow carport. At best the tires clear by 2" on each side. I dare ya to drive forward or worse yet back out drive without hitting,

Here's my idea. Mount a laser pointer in the front grill, somehow dead on centered. Operate it by a toggle switch mounted under the dash. Power it by the truck battery.

On the tool shed at the end of the drive mount a tiny target, dead center. I'm thinking I could steer by looking for the beam to move off target.

If you answer please keep in mind I'm a slightly befuddled (I live on prescribed opiates for a severe bad back) old man and know zilch about lasers.

I can't afford to have the carport widened so I have to come up with some kind of workable solution.
How do you get out of your vehicle with 2" clearance on
each side... or is it an open car port :thinking:

Depending on what angle you come into the carport
if you are not 100% parallel and centered with the
carport a Laser on the vehicle with a fixed Target on
the carport end wall won't help much.

Maybe get a skinnier vehicle or make the carport
wider....:crackup:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

DrSid

Having lasers on car will just show you where you are aiming at. Not where you are. My friend solved this problem with laser line generator on the garage ceiling. It casts line on the car, and even on the dashboard. Ha has it positioned so it shines right on the middle of the steering wheel when he is on 'centerline'. He says it's very easy to see both direction and position of the car.

Having lasers on car will just show you where you are aiming at. Not where you are. My friend solved this problem with laser line generator on the garage ceiling. It casts line on the car, and even on the dashboard. Ha has it positioned so it shines right on the middle of the steering wheel when he is on 'centerline'. He says it's very easy to see both direction and position of the car.

That sounds like it would be a very good option paired with a wireless remote.

I never expected this kind of responce to my post. I've got to do some serious readin of all your ideas before I decide which way to go.

Just for ref:

• <LI>I can't afford to make the carport wider. - - <LI>I don't want to buy a skinny truck. I just got my current truck like 2 weeks ago.<LI> It's an open carport. Also don't know I I can explain but it's my back door porch that makes it narrow. Once I get past the porch all is well.

Did I say THANK YOU for all the great ideas. Now I just need a volunteer to come over and make it happen :)

Did I say THANK YOU for all the great ideas. Now I just need a volunteer to come over and make it happen :)

You will need to update your Member Profile to show where
you live. Maybe you're my neighbor and I can hep you buid
something and maybe you're not...:beer:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics