Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Old 5mw "eBay" laser questions.

USAbro

Hi, I'm new to the forum but not too new to lasers. I got my first "5mw" eBay laser 3 years ago and it could pop balloons. Now I have a silver looking 5mw eBay laser that can light matches, pop balloons and cut electrical tape. It can also set dry leaves on fire if you wait long enough.

I know it's more than 5mw, and it cost $25 last year. How many mw is it probably? It is 532nm.

Should I wear safety glasses?

Also, I have these old night vision goggles that detect infrared and when looking at the laser dot through them, there is the dot, and then a huge square of infrared around the dot to one side and it's super bright threw the goggles but completely invisible to me. Is this IR dangerous?

Another question. I asked my dad if I could buy a 1w laser from lazerer.com and he said well not anything that you need safety glasses for. The only reason he let me have the ones I have it because they are rated at "5mw."

He doesn't realize the sticker is put their to avoid customs and regulations.

What should I say/do to convince him to let me get a bigger more powerful one? I see myself a pretty mature, I'm a guy and I'm 15.

I made some videos if you'd like to see it just let me know here. I'll try to upload it. I would now but we have slow internet.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but not too new to lasers. I got my first "5mw" eBay laser 3 years ago and it could pop balloons. Now I have a silver looking 5mw eBay laser that can light matches, pop balloons and cut electrical tape. It can also set dry leaves on fire if you wait long enough.

I would (and I'm sure others would as well)
like to see some pictures of this laser.

I know it's more than 5mw, and it cost $25 last year. How many mw is it probably? It is 532nm.

Noone knows. See Tha Greenlander's above post

Should I wear safety glasses?

Probably

Also, I have these old night vision goggles that detect infrared and when looking at the laser dot through them, there is the dot, and then a huge square of infrared around the dot to one side and it's super bright threw the goggles but completely invisible to me. Is this IR dangerous?

Yes

This should have been posted in the green
lasers forum.

Last edited:

USAbro

I would (and I'm sure others would as well)
like to see some pictures of this laser.

Noone knows. See Tha Greenlander's above post

Probably

Yes

This should have been posted in the green
lasers forum.

Thank you for answering all the way. I appreciate that a lot. I'll post a vid here soon.

Attachments

• 00066.wmv
    12.6 MB · Views: 51
Does anyone think anything of this laser?

I already told you lazerer isn't company to buy from, search the forums & you'll see why most people are going to tell you to avoid them also.

I've been trying to help you out but you seem to ignore my advice so buy it if you want. Just don't complain if it's under-spec, or if it dosen't even gets shipped at all!

-Alex

Last edited:

kilter

Get some goddamn goggles right now. RIGHT NOW. this power is not a toy! Easy blindness! You don't want that do you?

RIGHT NOW!!!
Survival Lasers has some nice eaglepairs.
DO NOT LET THE PRICE TURN YOU OFF!!!!!
What's more valuable, your money, or your eyesight for the whole rest of your life?
I know which one it is for me, but is it the same for you?
YES
NOW
GO
RIGHT
NOW
!!!

USAbro

So how many mw do you think it could be? I think I'll get some goggles. Sometimes I get after images.

An I am not buying from lazerer.com. I am buying a $85 laser on ebay without a mw rating advertised just says it can light cigarettes. It's on the lable just not on the site.

Pman

I'm hoping you are trolling otherwise look into seeing eye dogs and canes. I personally would never try to light a cigarette in my mouth regardless of protective glasses and you are too young to smoke anyways.
Of course you are seeing spots with a 532nm that strong. Just built a 532nm 100mW pen out of a $5 module that will light a green tipped match in a second (it can focus). EXTREMELY bright focus point and EXTREMELY dangerous to the eye. Example of just because it doesn't cost much doesn't mean it isn't dangerous.
SAFETY FIRST, LAST and ALWAYS and that unit is NOT for use around animals either.

Last edited:

USAbro

Actually I'm not trolling. I don't smoke I'm just saying that the site advertises that it "can" light cigarettes. Obviously I'm to young and even if I could I wouldn't want to. The point of the object was to show the power of the laser not that I am smoking.

USAbro

Hey guys. I'm so excited! Today I bought a new laser. So it might not be great and I'm not sure if it was a good buy but it cost $85.99 on eBay. It claims it's 1 watt but I'm sure it's underpowered. 445nm supposedly and it says it has enough power :gun:to burn through 5 cd cases in 20 seconds! What do you guys think. Also are the eBay goggles these lasers come with good? I think I posted the link earlier. It's coming from China so it'll take a good time to arrive. Like October 28 through November 13 I think the dates were. I'll tell you guys how it is when it comes.:) Oh and it's a model 016 for those interested.

If the glasses provided are junk what do recommend. <$20.

Last edited:

Nute

The best advice you were given was to buy goggles, yet you spent $90 on a laser that WILL DEFINATLY BLIND YOU! I wouldn't even consider a sub-par set of safety glasses for this laser. Take the advice and buy an Eagle pair! If not you will soon hear the crackling sound and the last thing you will see out of that eye is a pulse of blue light, then darkness forever. a 1w 445nm is nothing to play with. It is far to easy for mistakes to happen and an accident will blind you. PLEASE take the advice you were given.

READ THIS.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

The best advice you were given was to buy goggles, yet you spent $90 on a laser that WILL DEFINATLY BLIND YOU! I wouldn't even consider a sub-par set of safety glasses for this laser. Take the advice and buy an Eagle pair! If not you will soon hear the crackling sound and the last thing you will see out of that eye is a pulse of blue light, then darkness forever. a 1w 445nm is nothing to play with. It is far to easy for mistakes to happen and an accident will blind you. PLEASE take the advice you were given.

READ THIS.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/hit-eye-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser-69469.html

I don't think he will listen, he hasen't listened to my advice. Could be wrong though....

-Alex

Last edited:
hqdefault.jpg

There are no lasers on eBay matching that
description.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt,
those safety glasses have a better chance
of working than the ones that are supposed
to block red. It's obvious if they're not
working because the dot will appear very
bright and you will get after images. I
don't recommend any safety glasses in that