Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ok , pretend i know nothing

Cad602

Excelent, im still trying to think of uses for my industry, h.v.a.c. Im sure i will find something to use it on.
I hate buying things without any research and this site has helped me alot, thanks again.

As a steamfitter myself the only uses right off the top I can think of are: mounted to a level or square, or used with a rotating mirror to mark a datum elevation, or a control line or a column line..problem is, any safety man I've run across would likely throw you off a job if you took something that powerful on site...well small jobs might not be a problem, and now that I'm actually drawing the piping systems in the office I haven't had the pleasure of arguing with a safety man in some time - but I bet you'll get in trouble with your o-like beast (&it is a beast) unless you find a way to filter it's brightness. Maybe you could tell him you're using it to tell if the water in the piping is clean (or if the air is properly filtered if your a duct guy).
:D

Oh yeah, then there's duty cycle - I'm not sure a laser this powerful may be used for long duty cycles...I think < 2 mins is recommended? There are way more knowledgeable people here who know more about that. I generally won't run my 200mw model for more than a minute at a time.

As for safety glasses, I have a cheapo pair of red lenses from Dino Direct that work on 532nm (green's wavelength) pretty good (lpm-ed) but I want to get a better fitting (better looking) pair soon...

cad602

I want to measure the heat rise etc on several different substances, it may be good for heating a bearing to swell it before replacing or heating a jug of freon to increase pressure,:whistle:

I don't think any pointer style laser will heat those things enough to cause any changes you would notice.

Thats ok, i will keep this as a dangerous toy,,,,,,,,,,what will create alot of heat.

It will really only be dangerous to your eyes and dark plastics other than that it's fairly harmless (not to downplay the danger to your eyes though)

A blow torch, a induction coil, and a stove will create a lot of heat :)

It will really only be dangerous to your eyes and dark plastics other than that it's fairly harmless (not to downplay the danger to your eyes though)

A blow torch, a induction coil, and a stove will create a lot of heat :)

Guess im off to research induction heater

those are fun... they use them to temper tools and stuff... It uses a magnetic coil with a metal thing in the middle and high current ones can bring things to like 1500 degrees in a second or less... They also make induction cook tops... I don't know if would be practical and they only heat metal...

As far as getting any real heat with a laser you need something in the range of 40-60 WATTS which involves large tubes, water cooling, power supplies and a whole pile of other jazz and even then you are only heating a very tiny area so for the uses you stated it would likely not work.

As an HVAC guy, You weren't really asking how to create a bunch of heat were ya?

cad602

I know, im always looking for a edge, so far all my instruments are digital including my gages, infrared thermometer is ok for surface temps, but i break my trade down into math, because math doesnt lie.

Most of the time i can do what it would take other days to do in hours, and its right.
I think all hvac guys are geeks at heart.

Well, my laser pointer arrived today, sadly i wont be able to play with it until my safety glasses are delivered as well.
Thank you very much for the help and advise everyone has given me.

I know, im always looking for a edge, so far all my instruments are digital including my gages, infrared thermometer is ok for surface temps, but i break my trade down into math, because math doesnt lie.

Most of the time i can do what it would take other days to do in hours, and its right.
I think all hvac guys are geeks at heart.

Do you have a FLIR camera yet? Those are freekin awesome!