Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Oclaro 700mW in Lifetime Stainless Steel Host

Hey guys, just recently found some time, so I was thinking I could post my first red build and maybe later, my violet build. I couldn't stop at just having a 520nm and a 445nm, so I decided to purchase some hosts from Lifetime, after having told him a year ago that I would purchase from him in the future. I decided to purchase the stainless steel host as well as the Skyray host, for the Oclaro 700 red and the BDR-209 respectively. Here's a picture of the hosts:
xIUZdJ5.jpg

This was a pretty easy setup, as I purchased the diodes that were pre-assembled to their drivers from DTR and the hosts were plug and play. So I'll get right to it. As always, the part that scares me the most is cutting the wires down so that they fit nicely into the host. This part actually turned out rather well:
8IhU0sh.jpg

After getting it all set cut to size, I soldered the wires together and heatshrinked them, one at a time. Included with the host was an allen wrench for the heatsink as well as some heatshrink. Unfortunately, one of the pieces of the heatshrink seemed smaller than the other, as it could not fit onto the wire, and that's not anyone's fault of course. So, I just used some of my own heat shrink to wrap up the positive wire.
1sAoeXo.jpg

I didn't take many pictures really, the completed build looked the same as what it looked like in the initial picture. As much as I love the focus knobs from Survival Laser, these came included with the host and I couldn't justify buying more focus knobs as these looked great on the hosts anyway.

I had a really hard time getting a decent beam shot of this one, but as you can see, there's plenty of red to go around.

3kcxgNi.jpg

And that's a wrap for the red laser! Thanks for looking!

awesome builds both of them,just saw your 405nm also.you can't mesure the output of those lasers right?also do you know what lens your red laser uses? on my new 638nm laser with the p73 diode i have hard time to choose between high output and decent beam profile

Hi P,
Glad to see some beam shots from the two hosts. The red came out awesome cant wait to see the other host putting out some beams as well. Enjoy them as i did making them, great job building them nice and clean.

Rich:)

@deadshadow I don't have an LPM yet, but this does have some power to it. I have both a G-2 lens and a 3-element for this, and in the picture it is using a 3 element.

BobMc

Nice write up and builds Pr1m4lcur5e. Lifetime does some great work. Enjoy your builds. :gj:

Gotta ask, your name, been trying to figure it out. Came up with "primalcurse" how close did a old guy like me come? :crackup:

Last edited:

BobMc

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Does Oclaro of Sharp produce 1W laser diodes?
Coming to 800mW (as DTR has them on your Google site) now I do not know whether or not you have them!​

Hi 3D,
The Oclaro 700 doesn't do to well trying to reach the 1+W mark, but the Mitsu 500 takes more of a beating and can do the 1+W but its an open can .

Hi 3D,
The Oclaro 700 doesn't do to well trying to reach the 1+W mark, but the Mitsu 500 takes more of a beating and can do the 1+W but its an open can .

I see ! maybe Mitsu reaches the maximum peak of 1W by putting it in a freezer?​